Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer. Henry Kissinger, New York Times, Oct. 28, 1973
- (Added by: RumpStun)

trailer hitch
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Fly
Posted 10/15/2017 9:59 AM (#95388 - in reply to #95256)
Subject: RE: trailer hitch

Extreme Veteran

I have a 99 gl1500 with a Hannigan super sport sidecar. I bought it used. I tow a Kamperoo popup trailer 360 pounds.
The hannigan is only 200 pounds, I felt it was a little light for the wing. Since I needed a hitch and some ballast I used
a piece of 1"x2" stock 6ft. long weight 58 lbs without the ball. I mounted it under the lower front strut and over the rear lower strut
this gave me the ball height I wanted. The trailer left side wheel is in line with the bike rear tire. This way the rig basically a 2 track
outfit. If you tow off the bike you are 4 track, makes it hard to miss a pot hole. The bike is triple disc and the sidecar has a disc
hooked to the bike rear. No brakes on the trailer. It tows and stops fine.
fly
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bone
Posted 10/15/2017 3:17 PM (#95390 - in reply to #95388)

Fly - 10/15/2017 6:59 AM

I have a 99 gl1500 with a Hannigan super sport sidecar. I bought it used. I tow a Kamperoo popup trailer 360 pounds.
The hannigan is only 200 pounds, I felt it was a little light for the wing. Since I needed a hitch and some ballast I used
a piece of 1"x2" stock 6ft. long weight 58 lbs without the ball. I mounted it under the lower front strut and over the rear lower strut
this gave me the ball height I wanted. The trailer left side wheel is in line with the bike rear tire. This way the rig basically a 2 track
outfit. If you tow off the bike you are 4 track, makes it hard to miss a pot hole. The bike is triple disc and the sidecar has a disc
hooked to the bike rear. No brakes on the trailer. It tows and stops fine.
fly

Hello fly. Thanks for chiming in. I think I saw a pic of how you did that somewhere but I was wondering if you could post a few pics of your set up. I am still hatching ideas up there in the ole grey matter or at least what's left of it. hahaha. I think I came up with another idea I haven't seen in here. I'll let you all know when I have the idea a little further along.

Bone
Fly
Posted 10/15/2017 8:34 PM (#95391 - in reply to #95256)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Bone, I am a computer dummy. Don't know how to do pics.
my phone #330-547-2141 if you want to talk. I will answer any questions I can.
fly
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software