Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You can hit small with a big hammer ...But you cant hit big with a small hammer..
- (Added by: sidecarjoe)

sidecar build
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

jwhat
Posted 10/27/2017 3:19 PM (#95503)
Subject: sidecar build

I am building an offroad type sidecar for my 2016 Honda NC700X. Most of what I read indicates to build a leaner car the pivot points need to be under the bike along the centerline. It would be much simpler if the pivot points were offset from the centerline toward the car. Does anyone have any experience with doing it this way. It does not look to be a problem for a modest offset but I am not sure as yet.

jwhat
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Peter Pan
Posted 10/27/2017 4:04 PM (#95504 - in reply to #95503)
Subject: Re: sidecar build

Expert

You would put an offset load onto the frame...ride-ability would suffer a lot. If too far offset, perhaps even make the rig unride-able.
But I never used a leaner rig. So get better founded answers to your question.
Sven
CCjon
Posted 10/28/2017 10:07 AM (#95510 - in reply to #95503)

Extreme Veteran

jwhat,

you are right in that all successful leaner rigs have the pivot points inline with the bike tires. Also double check if the front pivot should be higher than the back pivot, or vice versa? A higher front pivot point will push or pull the SC wheel in the direction of the turn.

Most of the ones I have seen are road bikes. Because of the loss of ground clearance? Or too much flex for off road trails.

The pivot points have to be strong enough to handle the stress as those are only two points on connection. Any failure at those points could be disastrous.

Good luck with the build. Post photos of your progress.

CCjon

jaydmc
Posted 10/30/2017 10:55 AM (#95534 - in reply to #95503)

Expert

For off road use, I would not want to do a leaner. Ridged sidecars work great off road and as they do not fall over all you need to is make sure that you can keep moving forward. If you are going to do a leaner you want the pivot points as near to the center of the bike as possible and as close to the ground as possible assuming you are planning on having the bike lean and not the sidecar. The further off the ground and the more away from the center the more you will be dragging the sidecar sideways when you turn. Might not be much of a problem off pavement however on pavement it could be a real issue. If you are planning on having both the bike and the sidecar lean you have an entire different set off issues to deal with however it still holds true that you want the pivots in the same location. If you make the front pivot slightly higher then the rear when you do lean you will also be adding a bit of toe in or out depending on which way you are turning which can help handling. It sounds to me like you have little to no sidecar experience. You should consider going with the tried and true non leaning sidecar. Much simpler, works great off road then once you have tried it you could consider adapting it to be a leaner however I suspect that you will not want to.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
CCjon
Posted 10/30/2017 11:02 AM (#95535 - in reply to #95503)

Extreme Veteran

What Jay says +++
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software