Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You only need two tools in life; WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape

'16 Roadglide - Gearing change for pulling a sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

deadhawg
Posted 12/1/2017 4:19 PM (#95807)
Subject: '16 Roadglide - Gearing change for pulling a sidecar

I will be adding a sidecar to my '16 Roadglide soon, so, to better pull the extra weight I want to lower the gear ratio. The '16 RG has a 32 tooth trans pulley and a 68 tooth rear pulley. I want to change the gearing to the same ratio as the Triglides, which have a 30 tooth trans and 70 tooth rear pulley. The front 30T pulley is available from HD and the aftermarket, but I can't find a 70T rear for a '16 anywhere. (the triglide 70 rear won't bolt up). One reason for doing both pulleys is that going down two teeth on the front and up two on the rear means that the stock 24mm 140 tooth belt will fit OK.
Anybody have an idea what rear pulley might fit and where to find it?

Another alternative is to just change the front pulley to the 30T and leave the rear as is, but I've been told there won't be enough belt adjustment, and need a shorter belt, 139 tooth vs. the stock 140T. Has anybody done this and would the 140T belt work? Or a source for a 139T that is the stock width, 24mm?

On my 2000 Roadglide I changed the front pulley from a 32T to a 31T, and that was an improvement when pulling the sidecar, but the stock belt was at it's limit of adjustment with that setup.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackshit
Posted 12/1/2017 6:21 PM (#95808 - in reply to #95807)
Subject: RE: '16 Roadglide - Gearing change for pulling a sidecar

New User

i find it hard to believe that with the power your bike has that you would need to change the gearing. i would try running it first to see how it does.
Reardan Tom
Posted 12/2/2017 9:17 AM (#95814 - in reply to #95807)
Subject: Re: '16 Roadglide - Gearing change for pulling a sidecar

Elite Veteran

Hey Jack S ... I agree with what you say to deadhawg. I have a good riding buddy here that's been known as Jack S for a loooong time. Thought perhaps he'd joined the forum so went to your profile to see where you're from. Found out you really like traveling under the radar. Or incognito? edit note- I find it interesting the forum won't let me say s**t. I put it in the first post, it wouldn't show up. Tried to edit it back in by making it all one word and it still won't show in the text body. Hmmm... Anyhow, you get the idea.

Edited by Reardan Tom 12/2/2017 9:21 AM
Bone
Posted 12/2/2017 11:19 AM (#95816 - in reply to #95807)

Try this s h i t
deadhawg
Posted 12/2/2017 12:23 PM (#95817 - in reply to #95808)

jack - 12/1/2017 6:21 PM

i find it hard to believe that with the power your bike has that you would need to change the gearing. i would try running it first to see how it does.

The motor has plenty of power, the issue is that 6th gear is essentially an overdrive, great for cruising at 75-80, but at 65 MPH, even without the sidecar, it bogs if you roll on the throttle hard, requiring a downshift if you want to pass a car on a hill. With the added weight and drag of a sidecar I won't often be cruising that fast, but much of my riding will be on twisty roads at high elevations . Changing the gearing will put the RPM's closer to the powerband and make 6th gear much more usable for the kind of riding I do.

This is not the first sidecar rig I have owned and done a gear change on, and the improved acceleration through all the gears suits my riding style much better.

Still looking for helpful information.
dawg gone
Posted 12/2/2017 8:14 PM (#95820 - in reply to #95807)

Regular

There is a 31tooth engine sprocket that can be used with that year compensating sprocket mechanics.
Changing the engine sprocket you shouldn't need to change speedometer setting.
I did change the trans and rear sprockets from 32/66 to 30/70 on my'07 Eglide.more than needed but real good power.did not have to change the belt.
I also have a Soft tail with a Motorvation Spyder I just run a 175/60 car tire gave me almost half a gear -5mph. at 65 on the speedo your at 60
Dawg

Edited by dawg gone 12/2/2017 8:57 PM
deadhawg
Posted 12/3/2017 12:31 AM (#95822 - in reply to #95820)

dawg gone - 12/2/2017 8:14 PM

There is a 31tooth engine sprocket that can be used with that year compensating sprocket mechanics.
Changing the engine sprocket you shouldn't need to change speedometer setting.
I did change the trans and rear sprockets from 32/66 to 30/70 on my'07 Eglide.more than needed but real good power.did not have to change the belt.
I also have a Soft tail with a Motorvation Spyder I just run a 175/60 car tire gave me almost half a gear -5mph. at 65 on the speedo your at 60
Dawg

Thanks, I'm looking at an engine sprocket change too, would be less work than the trans sprocket.
davet
Posted 12/8/2017 4:09 PM (#95852 - in reply to #95807)

Veteran

I have a 1993 Tour Glide. I changed my compensator sprocket from 24 to 22 teeth and it really made the rig a lot more driveable. I got the sprocket from Baker drivetrain. They probably have what you need.
captdan
Posted 12/9/2017 6:30 AM (#95853 - in reply to #95807)

I changed the transmission gear in my 2007 Electra Glide to a 30 tooth and it helped, but not not enough for me. I then had a set of TTS cams and a TTS tuner installed and that did the trick. The bike has all the power needed now to pull the mountains in Pa. but it did cost me a few bucks to get it to my satisfaction. As far as the 6 speed tranny is concerned, you are still going to do some downshifting if in the mountains no matter what. The older 5 speed tranny's are better suited for sidecars and Harley's as i have one of each with a sidecar attached and the do a lot less shifting with the 5 speed. Your bike has all the power you need now, so what difference what gear you are in 5th or 6th , just go out and ride it and have fun. A few hundred more rpm's in 5th gear is not going to cost you much more in gas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software