Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Its not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

How Do I Install These
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

soupy1957
Posted 12/2/2017 5:19 AM (#95809)
Subject: How Do I Install These

The one piece of leftover things to do, with regard to the motorcycle and sidecar I just bought, was to go up to the dealership yesterday and pick up the windshield for the sidecar, which had to be ordered.

I’m fairly well mechanically inclined, and so it’s no big deal to install the windshield. I just have to do it. I will be out there doing it this morning.

In the state of Connecticut no tail light is required for the sidecar, but.........In the box with the windshield was to tail lights. I don’t know where they go. I don’t know how to install them. I can’t imagine ugly wires running externally from the back of the sidecar to the back taillight on the bike. Does anybody know how to install these? See attached video of the items.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments E0159D8C-E621-4344-8E5A-F9E874C00D97.jpeg (2169KB - 27 downloads)
Attachments 52ED88FB-5648-4F55-9557-0B24418D29B2.jpeg (2421KB - 18 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AJ1200
Posted 12/2/2017 5:50 AM (#95811 - in reply to #95809)
Subject: Re: How Do I Install These

Veteran

what you do is drill a hole inside the area that the light will sit on the back of the sidecar and run the wire inside the car, you run it over to the rear connecting strut and either drill a hole beside the strut or at the floor, then you run the wire along the strut over to the bike and under panels or however to hide it back to the wiring for the taillight connection. secure the wire to the strut with wire ties. I don't know your sidecar but these holes may already be there. from the picture with the single wire you will need to find a way to ground the base so the light will work so you may have to run a second wire for that
soupy1957
Posted 12/2/2017 9:00 AM (#95813 - in reply to #95811)

Drilling holes eh? I’m sure your right, but not something I really want to do to a “new” bike! (Respectfully) I think I’ll
wait til Spring and let the Pro’s do it. Tail lights on a sidecar are not required in the State, so it’s not like it’s imperative.
tinboatcapt
Posted 12/2/2017 6:03 PM (#95819 - in reply to #95809)

Veteran

In the past, I worked for a Cozy Dealer. The units we received had the fender already drilled for both the wire passage, and the mounting bolts. One of the campaigns we waged was to have the windshield and light mounting points not drilled because some customers whished to not install them. Perhaps Cozy has taken our request to heart.

The wires from the light passed through a rubber grommet then we used 3M tape backed wire clips to guide the wire to the opening in the side of the car where it passed through another rubber grommet. We zip tied the wires to the lower rear mount then routed the wire up under the Motorcycle seat. A trailer wiring connector made removal of the side car simpler.

It has been a few years since I worked on Cozy/RE rigs so things have changed with the improved Cozy and the UCE RE. Put I hope the historical perspective is ov some value.
Jim
KAmes
Posted 12/3/2017 10:27 AM (#95829 - in reply to #95809)

I took the seat off my RE and using a multimeter found the correct wires in the harness that goes to the rear light, then used the connectors that you put around wires and squeeze them down, the kind that always comes with trailer wiring. Then down the strut, under the car along the frame, and through a grommet in the fender (drilling). I replaced the bulbs in both tail lights with LED bulbs, both together uses less current than the one original so no worries about existing fuse and wire sizes etc. I did tail light and brake light, but left my turn signal where it is. I couldn't get happy with where to move the front turn signal to. If I put it on the right of the sidecar it hides it from view from the left. Illinois doesn't require turn signals on motorcycles at all. See pictures (I really should wash it).

(20171203_085620.jpg)

(20171203_085607.jpg)

(20171203_085732.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20171203_085620.jpg (195KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 20171203_085607.jpg (228KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 20171203_085732.jpg (220KB - 0 downloads)
soupy1957
Posted 12/4/2017 6:30 AM (#95833 - in reply to #95809)

Great stuff. Thanks!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software