Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Nothing great in life was ever accomplished without enthusiasm.

Interchangable Sidecars?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

soupy1957
Posted 12/11/2017 11:26 PM (#95883)
Subject: Interchangable Sidecars?

So, suppose at some point, (and I don't realistically see this happening any time soon, frankly), I decide that I want to change the existing sidecar that I have, for another one.

Is it fair to say that the mounting bars are designed in a universal, one size fits all, configuration, such that I could bolt on virtually ANY sidecar to the existing support/connection system?

What are the limitations of that ability, (Model year, type, etc)???

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 12/12/2017 10:37 AM (#95890 - in reply to #95883)
Subject: Re: Interchangable Sidecars?

Expert

No, this is in general not the case. We have ways to work around this and usually can help mount most sidecars to most bikes that would be a safe match up. This article will give you some enlightenment. http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-...
We also have three video's on our site, the first tells you about us, the next two show the entire installation process for one of our Tomahawk SE sidecars onto an Indian Chieftain. This will give you an idea of how our mounting systems work and also how most American made sidecars are mounted www.dmcsidecars.com/video
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 12/12/2017 11:29 AM (#95891 - in reply to #95890)

Extreme Veteran

Soupy,

Another approach is to select a sidecar where the body can be separated from the frame. That way, once the bike and frame are mounted, only slight adjustments for weight are needed when changing modules. My hack is such a thing.

A project of mine is to remove the tub then build a flatbed with a folding rear ramp for general hauling duties (other bikes, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc). It may also come into use to give a few wheelchair-bound veterans a slow speed parking lot ride if it turns out to be safe enough.

Edited by OldSchool_IsCool 12/12/2017 11:31 AM
soupy1957
Posted 12/12/2017 3:16 PM (#95894 - in reply to #95891)

..........................A project of mine is to remove the tub then build a flatbed with a folding rear ramp for general hauling duties (other bikes, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc)...........

now THAT'S gotta be quite the picture!! Let us see a pic when you are hauling another bike around!!
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 12/12/2017 4:38 PM (#95898 - in reply to #95894)

Extreme Veteran

It may be a while, I've been planning and collecting parts for a few years. Just haven't found the time!
MrMike
Posted 12/24/2017 11:58 PM (#95978 - in reply to #95883)
Subject: RE: Interchangable Sidecars?

Veteran

Old School

I have been considering this for some time also. You could have a lot of fun in parades and such (I ride with the Shriners). Also overlaps my idea of building a "rat rod rig". Let me know if you come up with any ideas on how to go about it.

Mike in MS
Al Olme
Posted 12/25/2017 2:14 PM (#95980 - in reply to #95978)

Expert

Some European makers have been using a system that allows switching sidecars for some time. EML and EZS both use a system that presents a pair of plates at the end of the bike side parts of the mounting. Those plates are a specific distance apart and a specific height They match plates on the sidecar side of the mounting system That matching plate system allows one sidecar to be switched with another BUT, the diagonal braces are different for each bike and this brings in the issue of toe-in. On my EML sidecars toe-in was not adjustable but the factory set up was correct each time

There is a lot of myth out there about the toe in adjustment on EML rigs. Some folks say there is slop in the holes used for mounting the sidecar swing arm assembly that you use to adjust toe in. I've been told that the stub spindle is an eccentric and you turn it to adjust toe in. [All four of my spindles were round]. Frankly, I've never seen an adjustment for toe in on an EML. It has never been an issue for me.

My current rig is a mongrel, it uses the EML bike side stuff with modified plates to match up to the unique Armec box member side rail on the sidecar If you look at it a moment, it's just a simpler implementation of the matching plate system. Since we were designing as we went along, we built some spacer plates that cold be used as shims to adjust tie in but didn't have to use them as EML's spacing worked fine with the Armec system.

Sorry to get off track.

I've been told by several folks that at one time the Sidecar Industry Council was looking at implementing a common mounting system but never got anywhere. Maybe Jay can comment on that, I believe he was a member at that time.
jaydmc
Posted 12/26/2017 11:15 AM (#95985 - in reply to #95883)

Expert

The sidecar industry council was all volunteer. Lots of people said they were going to do things, pretty much nothing got done mainly due to politics that I will not go into.
I came up with about as close to an interchangeable system as I could as the system needs to work not only moving forward, but for sidecar that were built some times decades ago. By using eye bolts that are 12mm wide with a 12mm hole it allows most of the European sidecars to be used with out mounting system. For USA sidecar some require the hole to be drilled out to 1/2 inch. Fairly easy to do. For California sidecars as they used a much smaller eye bolt we provide new strut ends to thread into the California struts making struts that on the sidecar side fit the sidecar and the bike side fit our eye bolts. We go eye bolt to eye bolt rather then eye bolt to clevis which simplifies things. For the lower mounts most modern sidecars have a pinch tube mounting system where you slide clamps into the sidecar frame. We make these clamps in many different diameters then the 1.5 inch we use. The other end we run at 1.5 inches so by changing clamps we can work with many different brands of sidecars. In case of sidecar that have fixed lower mounts such as the Ural, Dnepr and CJ we have you cut off the lower front and weld in a pinch tube we supply along with drawings as to how to do this. On sidecars that use a "Pylon" type lower mount such as the Vetter or some EZS and EML we have bolt on plates that convert over to pinch tube type mounts so that our entire system works. In the case of the Vetter this also converts it over to a standard 4 point mount. Using this system there are few sidecars that we can not provide mounts for. Once a sidecar has been installed and aligned if you were to install and align a second sidecar onto the same mounts these two sidecars would be interchangeable with out the need to align them each time.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 12/26/2017 3:15 PM (#95989 - in reply to #95978)

Extreme Veteran

MrMike - 12/24/2017 11:58 PM

Old School

I have been considering this for some time also. You could have a lot of fun in parades and such (I ride with the Shriners). Also overlaps my idea of building a "rat rod rig". Let me know if you come up with any ideas on how to go about it.

Mike in MS

Where I'm at so far is I bought one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-mobility-wheelchair-and-scoot...

My plan is to use the base as the frame of the flatbed with the ramp oriented to the rear. Deck the bed with aluminum diamond place. I'll also use diamond plate to make a low (about a foot) "knee wall" around the bed. Some D-rings at the corners with perhaps some sort of receivers to hold posts if I need more height than just the knee wall. The posts could also hold up a simple canvas "body" to wind protect cargo (or passenger).

The ramp I plan to cover with expanded steel so that it doesn't act (too much ) like a sail when folded and rolling down the road.

AJ1200
Posted 12/27/2017 7:29 AM (#95991 - in reply to #95883)

Extreme Veteran

oldschool
just a thought but since you will be building from scratch why not make a couple minor mods and make the ramp slide in under the car when not in use. you would just need a couple pieces of angle iron or aluminum
to make the slide track.
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 12/27/2017 8:45 AM (#95994 - in reply to #95991)

Extreme Veteran

Excellent idea Ace! I had also thought of hinging it in the middle to reduce it's height when stowed.

Bone
Posted 12/27/2017 12:33 PM (#95995 - in reply to #95894)

soupy1957 - 12/12/2017 12:16 PM

..........................A project of mine is to remove the tub then build a flatbed with a folding rear ramp for general hauling duties (other bikes, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc)...........

now THAT'S gotta be quite the picture!! Let us see a pic when you are hauling another bike around!!
[/QUOTE

You mean like this?

(AMeonsidecar.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AMeonsidecar.jpg (43KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software