Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining. – Teddy Roosevelt
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format
Posted 1/12/2018 10:14 AM (#96088)
Subject: Harley-vs-Indian

Looking for some input here hopefully there are some Indian riders out there running Hacks on the newer models.
I'm currently running a 2010 HD ultra classic with a 2000 HD ultra sidecar, set it up myself about 6 yrs and 35,000 miles ago. I picked up a new 2016 Indian chief classic this summer and would like to mate a sidecar to it. Thinking about either a DMC Tomahawk or Hannigan Heritage, what concerns me is what to expect handling wise from the Indian after attaching the sidecar. The rake and trail on the HD is 26 degrees/6.7in with the stock trees which I don't find to difficult to steer ( I do run the bike solo from time to time ). The Indian's rake and trail is 29 degrees/6.1 in with stock trees but the wheel base is about 5 in longer than the HD and feels more like a chopper in its handling. My question is with the small reduction in trail wouldn't the Indian actually steer a little easier than the HD even though its not as nimble when ridden solo?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 1/12/2018 9:48 PM (#96092 - in reply to #96088)
Subject: Re: Harley-vs-Indian

There's a new sub forum on devoted to hacks on Indians. There are members with hacks, including the tomahawk on the chief. Might be worth joining.

Edited by Valkrider 1/12/2018 10:03 PM
Posted 1/15/2018 11:09 AM (#96097 - in reply to #96088)

Less trail will make for easier steering. For either bike triple tree's are made to lower the steering effort.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
Posted 1/24/2018 10:51 AM (#96147 - in reply to #96088)

I've seen a Hannigan on a Roadmaster, and talked to the dealer about it. While it's a good setup, the dealer is leaning toward giving all his future business to Jay at DMC. I won't go into details here, PM if you want, but suffice to say Jay knows his stuff and I'd say he's one of the top guys in the country on this subject.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software