Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Why do I have enough money to buy steak now that I've lost all my teeth?

Chinese trailer hub quality?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

pago cruiser
Posted 2/10/2018 11:35 PM (#96285)
Subject: Chinese trailer hub quality?

Had a failure of my Motorvation Formula II hub a couple months ago when returning from a 1000 mile trip. Pulled into a gas station, filled up, and when departing the parking lot made a hard left turn...nasty sounds.
The hub was inspected and re-greased about 2 years old, 15,000 miles.

Long story short, we got home, and I picked up a new hub from our local trailer supply house. $40, a heavy Chinese casting with Chinese stamped bearings. Seems... robust.

Got it assembled today and went for a ride. Has a new "heavy vibe" between 65-75 MPH. Nothing else has changed. Same wheel/tire. The only change was the hub, and lug nuts.

Can a hub be out of balance enough to cause this?

I'm also using a steel wheel, with the centering (if that's what they are called) depressions at the lug nut mating surface. I did notice the new lug nuts have a slightly different taper - but they appeared to tighten uniformly, appeared centered, and spinning the wheel by hand did not exhibit any out-of-roundness. Unfortunately, I can't hand spin at 65mph...

TIA

Top of the page Bottom of the page
redharley
Posted 2/11/2018 9:10 AM (#96286 - in reply to #96285)
Subject: Re: Chinese trailer hub quality?

As a long time truck/ car mechanic I can tell you when you remove a hub or wheel assy. If not put back in same location[clock position] balance will change. Best to have balance done while on side car. Brake drum can affect same way. Not sure if you have a brake drum. If hub and spindle not installed correctly I would think vibe would appear at a much lower speed. With car lifted you could make a tool pointed at wheel edge and rotate assy. To see if TRUE. If so most likely balance issue. One other thought is tire Good?
pago cruiser
Posted 2/11/2018 10:29 AM (#96287 - in reply to #96286)

Thanks for the reply.
Pulled a lug nut off this am, and put it next to an old one. Way different.

Did some googling, and it seems there are 45 degree and 60 degree tapers.
My original looks like a 45, and the new like a 60, which means they also engage the wheel at a different point.
ARGH!

"Who would have thought lug nuts could be so complicated?!"

Going to change to the old lug nuts and go out for a ride.

Edited by pago cruiser 2/11/2018 10:33 AM

(IMG_9228.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_9228.jpg (951KB - 1 downloads)
pago cruiser
Posted 2/11/2018 3:16 PM (#96294 - in reply to #96285)

Well hell.
No joy.
Going back to the original lug nuts did not help much - if at all.
The tire is a Milestar Touring SLE radial, P155 80-R13, good appearing condition.
Spinning it by hand as fast as possible, a slight out-of-roundness is indeed visible.
A little googling turned up this in an Amazon review: Same brand, but different model:

"These tires are fine if you don't regularly drive above 65 mph, but if you do they will cause vibration that can not be balanced out. Your only solution to fix the out of roundness is to have the tires shaved and it is really hard to find a shop that does that any more."

This tire was new last August, and has about 1500 miles on it. Other than one 1000 mile trip and some local 100 milers to keep the Seafoam in the carbs fresh..., the Hack has been sitting there for several months now since September. Guess it has taken a set? Rode it 100 miles yesterday, and 100 today - still slightly put of round.

Hope a new tire solves it. What a pita...

As I think about it, I had a similar problem several tires ago. Was running a Uniroyal tire when this body was on a GL1200, and our local Western Tire Dealer stopped carrying them; so this Milestar is the only manufacturer they carry in this size. 1st one they put one, I had also changed the hack frame, re-aligned, and a few other things prior to the trip. Terrible vibration at anything above about 45; had to cancel our annual Griffith Park Sidecar Rally because of it. I took the tire to the tire store first "No, it can't be the tire". Pulled the rig apart looking for a cracked frame, or ???. Nope. Back to the tire place "No, the tire is fine; it is balanced perfectly. Maybe it's the wheel.". Took the wheel to a local wheel repair place, where he put it on his lathe and spun it up. "The wheel is fine, but this tire has the most severe run-out I have ever seen". Back to the tire place, with a note from the wheel place. "Never seen that before. Not sure I believe it, but as you are a good customer we changed the tire for you". Problem solved.

Went back to see them a few weeks later. They were not interested in knowing that the problem was solved, or that they had been wrong from the outset, or that their denials had caused me tens of hours of needless work.

Take-away from this diatribe; beware Milestar tires on a hack.
AJ1200
Posted 2/12/2018 12:12 PM (#96304 - in reply to #96285)

Extreme Veteran

put dyna beads in tire if not already in there, that should bring it under control. the wheel on my car is actually bent a little, make my tire sort of hobble, dyna beads takes the vibration out almost completely
looks like I have the same wheel as yours.
pago cruiser
Posted 2/13/2018 10:17 PM (#96320 - in reply to #96285)

Thanks for the idea of the Dyna Beads; will have to try those sometime. Have read about them, but has usually been able to solve the problem without going that direction... so far.
But this time...
Switching to the Uniroyal tire solved the problem. The Milestar actually had a flat spot in it.
Took the rig to work today, about 100 miles round trip to make sure all was well. Ran great, no vibes.
Heading out to the Brass Monkey rally Friday am, about 500 miles one way, across some pretty deserty landscape...
If anyone is heading that way from this way, Vulture Mine road is a great cutoff to take into the bottomside of Wickenburg; Just watch that corner that has an old Bell Star helmet on a pole...
Gonna be great!
So again... beware Milestar tires!
Hm. Time for a new name... I hereby officially change the tire name to...
Bilestar! In accordance with that which promotes anger and irritability...
HA!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software