Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Some will, Some won't, Some can't, I'll try.
- (Added by: Hack'n)

need a tire
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Uncle Ernie
Posted 3/11/2005 6:51 AM (#6662)
Subject: need a tire

I have a BMW with 18 in wheels. I need a 350-18 sidecar tire and can't find one anywhere. Any advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 4/2/2005 9:06 AM (#7114 - in reply to #6662)
Subject: RE: need a tire

I HAVENT FOUND A 3.50 BUT MELTZER MAKES A 4.00 18 BLOCK "K" THAT IS RECOMMENDED BY MANY BMW DEALERS.THE BEST PRICE IVE FOUND FOR THESE IS
http://www.americanmototire.com/ . ALMOST HALF THE COST OF THE DEALER.
THEY FILL THE FENDER NICE AND GIVE IT A HEAVY IRON LOOK. BUT BETTER YET, THEY DONT BREAK YOUR BACK IN TURNS LIKE BIKE TIRES DO.ONE ON FRONT DEFFENETLY.REAR DRIVE , MAYBE. THE BIKE TIRE REAR WILL SQUARE UP AND TRACTION IMPROVES (BRAKING TOO). IM RUNNING A DNEPR/URAL SIDE ON AN R50/2 BIKE. I LIKE TO BURN UP OLD BIKE TIRE ON THE CAR. THEY WEAR QUIK ON THAT SIDE.WHAT SIDE ARE YOU RUNNING?
Uncle Ernie
Posted 4/8/2005 10:32 PM (#7200 - in reply to #6662)

I failed to mention that I put a disk brake on the Earles Fork. The disk displaces the front wheel to one side just enough that a 4.00 won't work. However, I finally found a Russian 3.50-18 from a Ural dealer. Not as "K" looking as I would like, but we'll see how it works once I get it on the road. I've been doing a resto- just have to get the pinstripes done and I'm off~

Posted 4/9/2005 7:23 AM (#7205 - in reply to #6662)

if it is a spoked wheel, you may be able to ajust the rim over 1/4 with affecting it adversly.make shur the tire is on the centerline of the bike or steering may be heavy to one side.spoke ajustment can be as simple as 1/4 turn loose on one side 1/4 tite on the other than check for true.try to avoid haveing spokes touching at ther crossover point.if they are touching on one side or the other now, than the wheel is already of center.
if it is a cast wheel, you may need change the spacing on the disk.
good luck.
Hack'n
Posted 4/9/2005 11:34 AM (#7208 - in reply to #7200)

Expert

As Timslibby said,
A wire spoked wheel rim can be easily realigned for an offset.
Harley does this with their Springer models, although the rear wheel is aligned with the front. I have converted the FXLR to a springer and the factory said the bike couldn't be aligned with the 1/4"+ - offset front wheel, but I rode it that way for 30K+ and didn't notice any adverse affects, tire wear or handling wise.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecar
Uncle Ernie
Posted 4/20/2005 7:48 PM (#7380 - in reply to #6662)

Thanks for the input. I failed to mention that my wheels are what BMW calls "Snowflake" mags. This a highly modified /2, and I admit to going too far- it makes a terrific solo bike, but I built it for sidecar use. Spoked wheels would have prevented a couple of problems.
ANYhoo- I found a 350-18 made in Russia that I got from a Ural dealer. The tread isn't as flat as I would have liked, but beggars can't be choosers. I just hope this tire lasts a LONG time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software