Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious."
- (Added by: DAVE)

Passenger leaning help?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Uncle Ernie
Posted 5/28/2005 8:25 PM (#7822)
Subject: Passenger leaning help?

Extreme Veteran

It occured to me today that often my passengers develope what I might call "sympathetic labour pains"; they watch me sliding/pulling all over the place and will shift their shoulders from side to side. There's maybe 6 inches of difference.
Does this help at all? I assume that because their butt stays at the same point of contact that shifting back and forth doesn't really do anything.
Any opinions...?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 5/28/2005 11:30 PM (#7823 - in reply to #7822)
Subject: RE: Passenger leaning help?

Expert

Well Unc,
It might keep their butts from going to sleep. But then again, maybe not.
claude #3563
Posted 5/29/2005 3:41 AM (#7825 - in reply to #7822)

Expert

what outfit do you have uncle ernie?
Uncle Ernie
Posted 5/29/2005 6:51 AM (#7827 - in reply to #7825)

Extreme Veteran

I have a /2 conversion w an S500. As long as you're mulling that over, wouldn't it be pretty much the same for all rigs, though?
claude #3563
Posted 5/29/2005 7:13 AM (#7828 - in reply to #7827)

Expert

OO, Nice rig Ernie! Is it the same for all rigs? If you are talking about hanging off and using all kinds of body english as a rider or a passenger the answer is it is not a necessity. I know hanging off and getting your butt off the seat it taught but it is not needed in most cases. You DO NOT need to be a gymnist to operate a sidecar outfit safely and with speed. Yes, shifting weight can make a diference , and moreso on a lighter rig, but is not a necessity.

Edited by claude #3563 5/29/2005 7:19 AM
Uncle Ernie
Posted 5/29/2005 9:31 AM (#7830 - in reply to #7822)

Extreme Veteran

Claude-Swaybar; so THAT's where I've seen you before. Anyway... I tend to jump around a lot here in the mountains as a preventative measure. This is a stable rig, but I often like to ride in what a friend has dubbed "a lively manner", and it rather disturbs me when we get airborn and I'm not ready for it. I've been known to sit on the sidecar working the gas with my left hand and covering the brake with my right. Since we've started taking the dog, I've slowed down, though.
Back to the question, though- short of getting out to lean over the fender or hang off the right side- does it really do any good for her to shift back and forth? I think not, but she seems happy to be "helping"
hal77079
Posted 5/29/2005 12:27 PM (#7831 - in reply to #7822)

Veteran

Uncle Ernie - Guess you have never been to Japan. There it seems the sidecarists learned to drive kamakazie style with the passenger not only leaning in sympathy with the driver, but really hanging out all over the rig - literally throwing him or herself over the sidecar body to the left if on a left turn or across the bike if on a right turn - they drive on the left like most British or colonials do. And yes, I witnessed this at first hand when there as a guest in the 1980s. Really enjoyed myself. But the sidecarists in Japan are mainly a very much younger group than ourselves. We are a bunch of old fuddy duddies by comparison.

It seems as if they have all been watching Friday night speedway sidecar and just naturally assumed that was how one was supposed to drive and/or behave.

Now, as to your question - does it help? Of course it does. You see such a sight and stay the hell away from them as far as possible! Unless you are also on the same speedway circuit.

Otherwise, you drive like a rational person, and your passengers behave as rational passengers. Unless they are just sporting for whatever reason. Cedrtainly, it is not a practice that would be taught or sanctioned at any bonafide sidecar school for street driving.

Hal Kendall
claude #3563
Posted 5/29/2005 12:39 PM (#7832 - in reply to #7830)

Expert

>>> short of getting out to lean over the fender or hang off the right side- does it really do any good for her to shift back and forth? I think not, but she seems happy to be "helping"<<<

It probably helps her more than you but, hey, if you all are having fun go for it.
Watch the racers though..they hang out of the sidecar, drag their helmet on the raod and all of that. If she gets too carried away be sure not to knock her off on a sign post or something.
Uncle Ernie
Posted 5/29/2005 5:34 PM (#7833 - in reply to #7822)

Extreme Veteran

Well, this has been kind of funny. I seem to have painted a picture of me and the wife racing a kneeler through city streets.
Actually, when I first started (about 30 or so years ago), I had a friend who somehow managed to sit on his knees so he could literally hang way out as we sorta-kinda raced through Golden Gate Park in SF. Good thing, too; one day I was taking a bend a hair too fast and screaming "LEAANNN!!!"- we were going wide and I had a split second choice of sideswiping a car or hitting the curb in front of it. I decided to opt for the curb. When I came to, the whole rig was upsidedown and Doug was extricating himself from a huge nearby bush. A guy who had been parked nearby came running over and said Doug looked like Superman as he was thrown, spreadeagle, from the sidecar! We managed to turn the rig over, and aside from a bowler sized dent in the top of the rear fender (R60 w solo seat), it started up and we went home. At a slightly more sedate pace. Didn't Claude say something to the effect of this being a mad sport?
Anyway, I think my question was answered. I imagine the extra exercise helps some, anyway. Thanks, all.
PS; Hal and Claude, hope you write something about my Mix 'N Match question down the street...

Posted 5/31/2005 7:39 PM (#7860 - in reply to #7822)

I think it help psychologically. On high winds or reverse banks, I tend to wiggle around. I can tell when the blue heeler's up and moving from the change in drag. The Schipperke doesn't have much effect (12 lbs in her harness and doggles) until I feel her nose touch my elbow.
I confess: I ran off the road and scared myself, so I'm starting over again. Playing in the parking lot of the school and running with weights. My rig's fine, but I did some damage to my hand and hip when I hit the pavement. Already have arthritis in those joints, so it is healing slow.

Edited by Red the Unready 5/31/2005 7:40 PM
Uncle Ernie
Posted 5/31/2005 8:10 PM (#7861 - in reply to #7822)

Extreme Veteran

Red,
I'm with ya; Rosie is a bigger dog- about 13lb, and a full bred Bitsa. Sidecars are way better than pick-ups.
I'm just getting back, too. First a car hit me (external fixator for 9 months) and then a double transplant. Vis a vis the forgoing messages, that's the main reason I'm not REALLY racing a vintage rig.
You might check out the COBB Society on google.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software