Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I'm not lost, I'm just purposefully wondering around
- (Added by: DAVE)

Setting Up A Sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Danny
Posted 6/9/2005 3:47 PM (#8023)
Subject: Setting Up A Sidecar

Recently lost one leg and messed up the other (An off-road motorcycle thing in Glacier National Park) so I'm setting up my first sidecar. I've already added an electric shift and have a Ural sidecar for my R1100GS on ordered from the Dauntless folks in Washington. Meet Jay at last BMW International there (had legs then) and was impressed. I've read most everything available on The Net but am interested in hearing thoughts and lessons learned from other installers/riders. I'm a cross-country and off-road kind-of-guy and hope a sidecar does not change those things. Also looking forward to interfacing with a new group of enthusiasts. Looking forward to learning more and meeting many of you at future gatherings. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences! danny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Uncle Ernie
Posted 6/9/2005 8:45 PM (#8027 - in reply to #8023)
Subject: RE: Setting Up A Sidecar

Hey Danny,
That's a lot of info that leaves a lot out. Having had leg trouble my self, and having a Nam vet friend w a leg missing, I'm intersested in details (digression; one day while waiting for my friend to get ready to go, I was piddling around in his kitchen. At one point I looked up when I heard, "Hey Ernie! Ever try yoga?" I still have a stiff neck from the double take; he had his leg behind his head. I still laugh 25 years later)
Anyhoo- where is yours gone? I take it you still have a knee to hang on with? A sidecar is a great place to store crutches. Are you getting a prosthetic? How did you decide on a Ural and what mods did you have to do to the GS to get it on there (I would think the bike would be too tall for a sidecar, but what do I know?) Can't imagine a Ural doing off road stuff as it's pretty heavy. Although it's amazing how much fun you can have when you don't know any better- I used to ride around (read slide, bog, drag, and fall down) in the dirt some on an R60. I've heard that there ARE off road sidecars, though. If you've looked into all this stuff, perhaps you would recommend a site for that.
As far as driving goes, everyione will tell you it's not a motorcycle any more, but it will take a while for you to "get it". Then someday you'll sigh and be telling someone else that. Take it easy/slow, don't get macho or you'll get bitten. Practice a lot. Make copies of the videos and send one to everybody. It's a little expensive, but all the new guys do it. Really...
JayDauntless
Posted 6/9/2005 9:20 PM (#8029 - in reply to #8023)

The Ural on a GS makes a great rig, We build about one a week and have many things we can do with them.
We add electric tilt, disk brakes, BMW GS rear wheel with disk brake, racks, Tow hooks, and much more. We also have for the GS bikes new ball joint mounts for the front end to reduce trail. Here is a link to our web site showing some of the off road type rigs we have built. We build about one a weeek in batches. We should have photos of 3 or 4 more GS bikes posted in the next several days. http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/off-road-rigs.htm
My own bike is a Tiger with a Ural on it. It is shown on the web site as well. It is also for sale so that I can raise money to build a 2wd R1200GS
I will have my Tiger at the National and there should be a GS or two with Ural sidecars as well as a Moto Guzzi Quota.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
Danny
Posted 6/10/2005 1:47 PM (#8038 - in reply to #8023)

Ernie and Jay, thanks for your thoughts. Everything I read and all I talk to say take it slow and easy at first with a new sidecar. That is not my nature but guess I'll have to try--don't want to lose another body part! Jay, I might be one of the GS's with sidecar at the National if you are ever able to ship mine. Called today and your man said "maybe" this Wednesday; I hope so, I hope so, I do so hope so! If you didn't do such good work you would'nt be so busy and so far behind. But I guess that is best for both of us. Ernie, I've an above the knee prothesis on the left leg and a brace on the right knee. I can ride on two wheels but am not comfortable in the rough and have found that I can not always pick the bike up with just my one (bad knee) leg. I know the real answer is don't drop it. But if you don't drop one once in a while I'm not sure you're having as much fun as possible. All I've seen says the Ural sidecar will take a lot of abuse--I'll see!! Recommend you take a look at Jay's Web sit (see URL in reply above), he builds some neat stuff--just currently a touch slow at it. I know Jay, good help and sources of supply are hard to find. Hope to get my sidecar and see you both at the National. danny
MikeS
Posted 6/12/2005 8:22 AM (#8065 - in reply to #8023)

Regular

Danny

I do have all my limbs, but I got back into sidecars last summer, after a 30 year intermission. I'm a rookie again. As a rookie I do emphasize, do take it easy in the beginning. Learning what the rig will do in the many situations you encounter is like learning to ride well on two wheels (remember??). It takes time, and you need to put on the miles to get the feel of the limits of the rig. I have about 5k behind me now, and I consider myself moving from the rookie to the novice spot now.

Mike Senty
GL1100-EML

Edited by MikeS 6/12/2005 8:23 AM
outfit
Posted 6/13/2005 6:49 PM (#8080 - in reply to #8023)

Regular

Jay
Have you seen the bmw 1150 GS on this site? www.martinpreston.co.uk. It has been converted to 2 wheel drive, though I'm not sure how you would convert the drive to the right-hand side?
Safe riding Karl
JayDauntless
Posted 6/13/2005 7:30 PM (#8081 - in reply to #8023)

I have not seen this set up. We have worked out how to do sidecar drive on the new R1200GS
Jay
claude #3563
Posted 6/15/2005 7:03 PM (#8104 - in reply to #8038)

Expert

Danny,
Hey, welcoe to the madness. Be warned that sidecars can become very addictive and that is not a bad thing!!
Here are some links to sites that may be of interest. The first two are by Vernon Wade an avid dual sport sidecarist. The next one is by Mike Braverman who has been around sidecars for many years and has raced on various surfaces including being a regular runner in the the Barstow To Vegas event.

http://www.advrider.com/
http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/
\
http://www.sidecarmike.com/

Your outfit should work well for you on and off the road. The Ural, is a good contender in the rough stuff.
Oh, and below is the link to the Intertnet Sidecar Owners Klub...lots of sidecar nuts there and a very active discssion board.
Keep us posted!
Reardan Tom
Posted 7/9/2005 8:39 AM (#8468 - in reply to #8104)

Elite Veteran

Vernon's sidecar site is www.adventuresidecar.com
claude #3563
Posted 7/9/2005 9:35 AM (#8469 - in reply to #8468)

Expert

Oops thanks Tom .. My mistake about Vernon. I knew better too
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software