Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
- (Added by: Wngnut)

Hannigan 2+2 Weight History
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

beemerfan
Posted 6/17/2005 11:07 PM (#8118)
Subject: Hannigan 2+2 Weight History

Hey,

Does anyone know the history of the Hannigan 2+2. The NADA puts it at 230 lbs through the 2000 model year and then it goes up to 295 lbs. Hannigan also lists their current specs as 295 lbs. I called Hannigan and the guy I talked to couldn't give me a straight answer on the older models. Were they really 65 lbs lighter and if so, where did all that extra weight come from?

Thanks,

Pete
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BestBuddy
Posted 6/24/2005 1:24 PM (#8198 - in reply to #8118)
Subject: RE: Hannigan 2+2 Weight History

Hi Pete,

Maybe I can put a little light on the subject, seeing that I have recently completly rebuilt a Hannigan Astro 2+2 over the past eleven months.

The Hannigan Astro 2+2 was first introduced at the 1993 Daytona Motorcycle show. It was Hannigan's second generation of two-seater SideCars and Hannigan dubbed it the Astro 2+2, which displayed the aerodynamic design and engineering knowledge of David Hannigan.

I would comfirm that the empty weight including all hardware, mounting hardware, seat, wheel, canopy and top is at the posted specification weight of approximately 295 lbs. I say this because I have handled and lifted ever single part on the Astro 2+2.

I hope that this Helps and will be Happy to furnish you with anymore information.

Regards

Edited by BestBuddy 6/24/2005 1:25 PM
beemerfan
Posted 6/26/2005 10:58 PM (#8228 - in reply to #8118)

Thanks for the reply. I talked to someone else and confirmed that even Hannigan's old literature put the Astro 2+2 at 230. My guess is that was the weight of the sidecar alone without any mounting hardware or accessories. They probably updated the literature to give a more accurate number. I bought a used one that I haven't received yet and will be mounting it to my '92 K100RS later this summer despite it's beastly size and weight. I may have a few more questions when I get there.

Pete
BestBuddy
Posted 6/27/2005 7:46 AM (#8230 - in reply to #8118)

Hi Pete,

I'm only about 15 miles from you. Give me a call and come up to see my Hannigan Astro 2+2. (866) 505-8599

I can give you every little detail about the Hannigan Astro 2+2 along with every bolt, washer and nut

Regards

Best Buddy
beemerfan
Posted 7/9/2005 10:13 PM (#8482 - in reply to #8118)

I'll answer my own question here for the benefit of the forum. When Hannigan started making the 2+2 the electric lean and brake were not standard equipment. The seat was also a lighter fiberglass unit. The addition of the brake and electric lean as standard, along with an automotive styled seat brought the weight up to 295. This comes from a conversation with David Hannigan.

Pete
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software