Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. -- Vince Lombardi
- (Added by: DAVE)

'84 Moto Guzzi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 6/22/2005 5:26 PM (#8175)
Subject: '84 Moto Guzzi

I was wondering if anyone has a Moto Guzzi Cal. II. I just got back from a 5,000 mile trip. Every time I would go up a hill(mountain road) or if the wind was high my bike would cut out in fifth gear, and I would have to shift down to fourth gear. I have messed with the carbs but I can't seem to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this and if so any soluations. By the way this was my first cross country tour with a side-car and it was great.

Keeling
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Uncle Ernie
Posted 6/22/2005 7:28 PM (#8177 - in reply to #8175)
Subject: RE: '84 Moto Guzzi

Extreme Veteran

There's mountain roads, and MOUNTAIN ROADS! Was this happening over a rise in Ohio, Blue Ridge Parkway in the Smokies, or Pikes Peak?
Hack'n
Posted 6/22/2005 8:07 PM (#8178 - in reply to #8175)

Expert

You mention 5th gear pulling against the wind or climbing. Altitude alone must not be the problem. A lean mixture could be. Weak spark from fouled or worn plugs could be. Weak coil or electronic ignition problem could be.
If buffeting wind or steep climb, even the float level could be. If your RPMs were down you could be just lugging the motor.

Glad you had a good trip anyway.

Lonnie

Posted 6/22/2005 9:16 PM (#8180 - in reply to #8175)

Thanks for such the quick respones. My brother and I messed with the carbs through out the trip. At first my sparkplugs were showing signs of being ran too lean,so we fix that, and it still would lose power in fifth gear. We ran through Independence Pass in Co. there was still snow on the ground in June. The elevation there is 12,095 ft. We ran through the Northern Cascades in Washington. Then made our way to Portland,Or. On the way back it ran fine until we hit Wyoming with the hills and the wind I had to actually run in third gear. Raton Pass in New Mexico was not that bad had to run in fourth gear. The northern part of Texas has a lot of wind and ran in fourth gear there. I had done some research on the web and going to try a few things. I may go ahead and get a new coil for the bike and see what that does of it. Well thanks again for the ideas.
Ride on,
Keeling
Hack'n
Posted 6/22/2005 11:56 PM (#8181 - in reply to #8180)

Expert

Even with a well tuned motor, the extreme altitude changes you encountered would cause excessive richness when at 12+K' especially if you are tuned for sea level. The highest pass on the North Cascade Hiway is only 5,477' and that causes problems with carbs that are tuned for sea level.
Last summer I ran from the extremes of 230' below sea level(Death Valley) to 12,000+' in the Sierra Nevadas with minimal problems due to having a late model constant velocity carburetor (CV) on the bike even though it is set a little rich at sea level. Hot starting was a bit cranky at times, but that was all. One of my riding partners had fuel injection and had no problems at all. The third rider had an aftermarket performance carburetor and had problems similar to your's. This was with a solo bike.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software