Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Chrome won't get you home, But you'll look good pushing it
- (Added by: bootshd)

head wobble
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 7/12/2005 6:55 PM (#8536)
Subject: head wobble

Hello everyone,
New here and it's nice to see there's a place for sidecar riders to swap info. My question is this: what is the cause of the low speed head shake on some sidecar rigs? I have a Enfield with cozy car, doesn't pull to either side at all but at a certain speed (maybe 10mph) the handlebars oscillate somewhat for a moment. Really I could probably trial/error adjust for an hour and get it to go away (maybe), but I'd like to understand it a little too. Any info is certainly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-PJ
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 7/12/2005 9:16 PM (#8543 - in reply to #8536)
Subject: RE: head wobble

Expert

PJ,
Head shake (wiggling the nose) is a normal thing that happens at low speed when accelerating or decelerating with some (probably most) sidecar rigs to some extent. The worst culprits are cycles with a large amount of trail.
On other bikes, loosly adjusted head bearings, worn or out of balance tires, bent wheels, worn swing-arm bearings or misalignment can also cause or aggravate this problem. It is something most get used to after a short time of driving the rig. If it is uncontrollable a steering damper will eliminate head shake.
One problem with the Cozy is the rubber gasket in the mount and the single mounting strut which makes for a fairly flexible attachment between the bike and the sidecar. A supplemental mount can be added to make a more rigid connection between the two.
One of my customers with a Cozy added a strut with a turnbuckle in it to preload the sidecar mount and that seemed to help.

Lonnie
Uncle Ernie
Posted 7/13/2005 5:21 PM (#8570 - in reply to #8536)

Extreme Veteran

Hey PJ- I'd like to hear how you like the RE- solo, and how it does with the Cozy.

Posted 7/15/2005 7:34 AM (#8606 - in reply to #8536)

Lonnie, thanks for the advice. I have a damper and the wobble really isn't very bad, but it helps to understand it a little. I was apprehensive to mess too much with adjustments as i don't want to make a good situation bad.
As for the ride Ernie, it's pretty cool. Despite the name, the Enfield is no bullet; but with the new 5-speed it'll get up over 60mph w/sidecar (unless on a steep grade) basically because it's very light. My wife rides it mostly and I think she caught the sidecar bug now. Small, light and easy to handle...and it always draws a crowd.
claude #3563
Posted 7/15/2005 11:53 PM (#8618 - in reply to #8606)

Expert

Paul,
Just a note to say we did get your RON DEE VOO registration money. All is well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software