Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Love is the only game never called because of rain or darkness.
- (Added by: pssstpok)

speed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

lumpc1
Posted 7/23/2005 10:16 AM (#8784)
Subject: speed

so how fast can I expect to drive this thing safely consistently? my wrench made a comment it'll only go 40 mph now, don't know if he was kidding
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 7/23/2005 10:43 AM (#8787 - in reply to #8784)
Subject: RE: speed

I can top speed 100 mls/h (Honda VTX 1800/Motorvation Formula II sidecar,
electric lean, independent sidecar brake).
Uncle Ernie
Posted 7/23/2005 6:26 PM (#8799 - in reply to #8784)

Well, that's not too open ended, is it?! Have you got a Ural on a Tomos moped? A Globe on a Boss Hoss? I know a guy in California who put a Mazda car engine in the back of his sidecar with 2 wheel drive. He tends to get nervous when his watch starts moving backwards. What a weenie.
What have you got?
lumpc1
Posted 7/23/2005 10:06 PM (#8803 - in reply to #8784)

I have a Kawi nomad with hypercharger air intake, dyna 200 ign., vance & hines pipes and we're putting a velorex 562 on it.
Uncle Ernie
Posted 7/24/2005 6:27 AM (#8804 - in reply to #8803)

Non-professional opinion here; That seems like that SC would be a bit too light without carrying at least 75lb ballast at all times. I prefer a sidecar that weighs over 200lb myself, especially for a MC that big. On a smooth freeway, I can't imagine you'll even notice you've added a SC as far as speed goes. It should take off like a rocket. The problem I would anticipate with a light rig like that is any sudden evasive maneouver could literally send you flying. If this is your first SC, I would really recommend waiting to get a lot more experience before seeing if you can make a sonic boom.

This opinion is based on my experience with a Steib LS200 on a BMW R60 with some (but still rudimentary) experience.
JayDauntless
Posted 7/24/2005 10:43 AM (#8810 - in reply to #8784)

Seems like a bit of a week sidecar for this bike, even with ballist the frames and mounts tend to flex.
We make a similar priced sidecar called the Kenna at $2495 with mounts. While this sidecar is also very light it is made on a 1 3/4 inch tube frame and runs a 1 inch axle so it is quite strong and can be ballested for even larger bikes.
My own bikes I have seen over 100mph in the dirt on my Triumph Tiger and over 110 on other bikes. It is nice to have a race track 2 miles from the shop.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Coporation
lumpc1
Posted 7/25/2005 10:02 AM (#8833 - in reply to #8784)

thanks for that info Jay, I already bought the car and it is going on, on the suggestion of "mr. sidecar", Doug, so I'm sure I'll be fine
Hack'n
Posted 7/25/2005 12:31 PM (#8839 - in reply to #8810)
Subject: RE: Flex?

Expert

We haven't had any complaints of "flexing" or bending in regards to the Velorex frames and we have sold and installed hundreds of them. There have been instances of "U" clamp mounts shifting. This is usually due to mounting positions that are adverse to a direct push/pull mounting. When this is the case, a spot weld or two on the strap will prevent this from occuring. Any "U" clamp mounting can slip if enough torsional force is applied. Motorvation makes about the beefiest "U" clamp frame mount in the industry and when one I had installed slipped, their answer was: "Spot weld the strap and it won't slip again". I spot welded it and it didn't slip again.
We have had one axle get bent on an older 1200 GL/562E rig that hit a curb and one instance of a bent "J" tube on a Guzzi California from unknown impact causes.
Both of these were early model cars with the 15mm axle and lightweight suspension.

And yes, we know that the 562s don't fit with everything on the market.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
Hack'n
Posted 7/25/2005 12:34 PM (#8840 - in reply to #8810)
Subject: RE: Flex?

Expert

We haven't had any complaints of "flexing" or bending in regards to the Velorex frames and we have sold and installed hundreds of them. There have been instances of "U" clamp mounts shifting. This is usually due to mounting positions that are adverse to a direct push/pull mounting. When this is the case, a spot weld or two on the strap will prevent this from occuring. Any "U" clamp mounting can slip if enough torsional force is applied. Motorvation makes about the beefiest "U" clamp frame mount in the industry and when one I had installed slipped, their answer was: "Spot weld the strap and it won't slip again". I spot welded it and it didn't slip again.
We have had one axle get bent on an older 1200 GL/562E rig that hit a curb and one instance of a bent "J" tube on a Guzzi California from unknown impact causes.
Both of these were early model cars with the 15mm axle and lightweight suspension.

And yes, we know that the 562s don't fit with everything on the market.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software