Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Unless you're lead dog, the view never changes.
- (Added by: Hack'n)

H-D clutch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 9/21/2005 4:49 PM (#10184)
Subject: H-D clutch

I'm having a problem with my clutch and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same thing. If so, how did you correct it ? I have a '95 FLHTCU w/Ultra sidecar. I put a Barnett 9 plate Kevlar clutch in it last fall. I'd torn up the spring plate so I decided to go heavy duty and eliminate it with a 9 plate clutch. Now if I give it a little too much gas or let the clutch out to quickly I get a chirp (screech) from the primary. I'm assuming it's from the clutch pack. I tried running the primary chain looser and tighter but no luck. I'm running synthetic primary lube if that matters. Once the clutch is warmed up it does it less and if I slide it it won't do it. Could it be that having no spring plate and a heavy rig doesn't work together ??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghostflames2002
Posted 9/21/2005 7:46 PM (#10188 - in reply to #10184)
Subject: RE: H-D clutch

Check belt tension and alignment. Happened to me. Otherwise did you change the compensator sprocket with the clutch? They can make noise on the way out. Good Luck

Posted 9/26/2005 1:51 PM (#10319 - in reply to #10188)

I had a problem around the 4th of July with the comp sprocket coming loose. I put it back together and kind of forgot about it. Aside from scoreing on the ramp surfaces is there anyway to tell if something is bad ?? Thanks.
ghostflames2002
Posted 9/26/2005 8:11 PM (#10332 - in reply to #10184)

Not sure but they are cheap enough and would be worth changing if its got any serious miles on it. What kind of belt are you runnin? Gates belts tend to wearout pulleys believe it or not. A few of my Indian buds switched over to panther because of chirping. I run Syn in motor only have heard some wet clutch systems dont like the syn. I will try to do a little more research on the subject.
ghostflames2002
Posted 9/27/2005 4:34 AM (#10340 - in reply to #10184)

Dave: Went back and looked through the threads on this. Seems like some cured the problem with tuning in the alignment adjustment on the rear wheel. On thing ya might try is belt dressing that will at least tell ya weather or not its the belt and or alignment. On the indians which were basicly an HD drive, as I said above the gates belts were chewin up the pulleys and a changout to panther or dayco was recommended by the factory service bulletins. If your gonna tear it down it may be a good time to switch over to chain drive its a lot less expensive and you can change out a chain pretty easily. Hope this helps.
Hack'n
Posted 9/27/2005 3:08 PM (#10355 - in reply to #10340)

Expert

Don't know why anyone would go back to a chain if they didn't have to.
Some of the Harley clones might make different belt recommendations but the Motor Company hasn't as yet and they have several decades of sidecar loading under their belt.
I'll stick with the belt. I've had seven belted Harley rigs so far and no belt problems.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecar
ghostflames2002
Posted 9/27/2005 4:43 PM (#10357 - in reply to #10184)

Dave: You could go to the Iron Indian Riders web site and check out the threads yourself on belt chirping you may find something that may help. Harley makes very few of their own parts anymore and the Indian (harley clone) site may have some info I havent covered. Good luck!
lumpc1
Posted 9/27/2005 11:02 PM (#10366 - in reply to #10184)

Dave when my belt churped on my big twins I washed them with a brush and water, a little soap, but it sounds like you have another problem with the clutch going south.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software