Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: once he thought he was wrong but he was mistaken
- (Added by: claude #3563)

BMW R60/6 sidecars
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

coachgids
Posted 10/7/2005 9:21 PM (#10583)
Subject: BMW R60/6 sidecars

I've read comments about the need for a sub-frame on the /6. I'm interested in putting a Ural or Dnepr sidecar on. Is there a mechanical difference in the different brands, or is it a build/paint quality difference? Can I just get the Dnepr sidecar for $1199 and get a dauntless subframe, or is there more to the equation? I know there is always the getting what you pay for part of the equation, but is it really that critical? I plan on using the rig around town, and not so much long distance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bob in Wis
Posted 10/7/2005 10:27 PM (#10584 - in reply to #10583)
Subject: RE: BMW R60/6 sidecars

Coach,
The Beemer frame is not strong in the upper rear area, espacially. make sure the subframe goes up to the seat frame where the upper mount attaches. sort of a "L" shape...under the engine, back, then up.
sidecars come in all different configurations but basically are the same for mounting . Remember, I said BASICALLY. there are many different variations for mounting. THe Ural or Dnepr should mount fine on your bike, with the correct subframe.
You mention you are just going to run around town. that will only last for a short while , until you get the practice in and you get the itch to travel further and further!!
You have been BITTEN!!!

Hack'n
Posted 10/7/2005 10:28 PM (#10585 - in reply to #10583)

Expert

The URAL is far better in fit, finish and appearance. Upholstery is a lot better also but the price is about twice that of the Dnepr.
In this case, you get what you pay for.
Other than cosmetics, the Dnepr wheels are also inferior in appearance and performance.
An upgraded Dnepr is probably about the same investment as a stock URAL.
I personally rate the M72 Clones as: 1-URAL Classic, 2-Dnepr, 3-Chang Jiang.
Bilgekeeldave
Posted 10/8/2005 12:43 AM (#10586 - in reply to #10585)

Other than cosmetics, the Dnepr wheels are also inferior in appearance and performance.

You probably haven't seen the Dnepr export wheels. Chromed, no visible weld and they run true, not egg shaped like the painted Dnepr domestic wheels.

Dave
Hack'n
Posted 10/8/2005 3:55 PM (#10594 - in reply to #10586)
Subject: RE: Dnepr wheels

Expert

Dave,
Had 'em, Ran 'em, Changed 'em out for different wheels.

Lonnie
claude #3563
Posted 10/9/2005 1:14 AM (#10600 - in reply to #10594)

Expert

Lonnie,
What wheels di dyou change em out for? Got any?
Claude, who is mounting a Dnper now and hoping for the best while preping for the worst.
email: cstanley@sunlink.net
Uncle Ernie
Posted 10/9/2005 2:50 PM (#10613 - in reply to #10583)

Uncle Ernie
Posted 10/9/2005 2:53 PM (#10614 - in reply to #10583)

Just about the time mind-reading consoles are made by Dell, Ill start to get the hang of this contraption...
What I was going to ask is- How many sidecar rigs do you have, Claude?!
Hack'n
Posted 10/9/2005 3:18 PM (#10615 - in reply to #10600)

Expert

Claude,
I thought I'd sent this out last night but apparently not.
(Got a bad cold and I'm a little hard of thinkin').
I usually change out Harley mounts to a H-D axle and match wheels with the bike if possible.
On others I use New URAL chrome wheel and tire Ass'ys. Pricey but nice.
I have one new 18" x 3.50 and one new 19" x 4.00 in stock w/hiway treads.

Lonnie
claude #3563
Posted 10/9/2005 5:04 PM (#10617 - in reply to #10615)

Expert

Thanks Lonnie. I may email you later if a wheel seems to be in order.
Ernie, I am mounting the Dnper for someone else it is not mine.
Also, this assembly is an R90/6 + Dnper sidecar + Dauntless sunframe. Pretty much what is being discussed here. Assembly will be pretty straightforward. Dauntless does replace the front mount on the sidecar with a pinch block system that does require some welding.
With this assembly I am adding a tilt adjustment system that utilizes a torsion bar. This is of my own design. It can be used as the sole suspension in conjunction with a plain shock that would be installed in the stock position or can be used in addition to the stock shock suspension. It will work with Dnper or Ural type rigs pretty easily.

Posted 10/9/2005 7:29 PM (#10622 - in reply to #10583)

Coach,
I bought a Dnepr and mounted it to my 2001 Sportster. While I can't speak for the Ural, I was disappointed with the quality of the Dnepr. On arrival, many of the welds were broken for the mounting equipment. The paint was rusted through in several places. The sidecar was obviously shipped over on a boat, as the entire body was coated in oil to prevent rust. It didn't work. Also, my wheel bearings were frozen on the original wheel (which said "Made in the USSR" in English on the side - Don't know how old that one was). I believe that the Ural's trunk compartment opens up and back. In order to access the Dnepr's trunk area, you have to remove the seat back. I don't want to sound like I am bashing the Dnepr too badly though. It has been worth every penny of the $1200 I paid for it. I replaced the wheel with a chrome one and I got my mounting hardware from the crew at Dauntless. I bought mine in February and haven't had any major problems with it since... (sidecar is a daily rider, plus a 3500 mile trip from San Diego, CA to Washington D.C.)
JayDauntless
Posted 10/9/2005 9:54 PM (#10626 - in reply to #10583)

We still have some Chinese cast wheels that will work on the Dnepr if it does not have a drum brake as the Chinese wheels have a smaller drum brake. We have these wheels in two qualities. Both work great and run true. One wheel runs $75. These are white in color and are not of the same quality as the other wheel which is aluminum and black in color. Both pretty much look like a copy of an early BMW K bike wheel. The white ones look to be copies of copies. Not quite the same quality but work fine.
Of course we aways have Ural wheels on hand and if a person ships us thier swing arm we can also convert it over to run a Ural disk brake wheel. We do so many of these that we have laser cut calipar mounts for this aplication.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
866-638-1793
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software