Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Rejoice not at thine enemy's fall - but don't rush to pick him up either. >Jewish Proverb<
- (Added by: RumpStun)

CJ 750 Engine Problem
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 11/1/2005 7:07 PM (#11299)
Subject: CJ 750 Engine Problem

I have a CJ750 and I having a problem. The more throttle you give it the less power you get and the more the engine starts sputtering.The carb stems were removed at 750km. I was told by Blitz Bikes that it didnt make a diffrence. The bike is a 12v and is charging correctly. Please help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RedMenace
Posted 11/1/2005 7:47 PM (#11305 - in reply to #11299)
Subject: RE: CJ 750 Engine Problem

Elite Veteran

What color are your spark plugs?

Posted 11/1/2005 10:01 PM (#11307 - in reply to #11299)

One seems wet and the other is the correct color it should be(i think light brown).

Edited by BMWR71 11/1/2005 10:02 PM
Hack'n
Posted 11/1/2005 11:49 PM (#11309 - in reply to #11307)

Expert

Sounds like it's drowning. Sometimes those carb needles don't want to seat.

Posted 11/2/2005 12:15 AM (#11310 - in reply to #11299)

Well how do I fix it ? It used to work good but not great. I had to change the alternator b/c it wasnt charging. Since then it ran like crap.
RedMenace
Posted 11/2/2005 8:35 AM (#11312 - in reply to #11310)

Elite Veteran

You need to troubleshoot both your ignition and carbs, starting with the simple stuff first and looking for stuff which would affect one side at a time. Wet plug could be either flooding on that side or no ignition on that side.

Check your spark. Swap plugs from side to side, swap HT leads side to side-see if the problem changes sides. put new plugs in. Check all the coil and ignition connections, HT leads(both ends -coil and plug caps).

Check your throttle linkages-make sure both cables are seated and opperating smoothly and in tandem. Doesn't sound like a lean condition, but check the intake tubes, and carb tops- make sure they are seated and sealed.
Make sure nothing is blocking the intake tract on either side. Probably not the choke tube cause it is one side only but check it anyway. Old style CJ carbs are hard to deal with but you may need to take them off and blow out the jets and needles seats, pay particular attention to the float needle and seat at the bottom of the carb. These backwards Bing copys are vulnerable to water and particulate blocking the needle seat and flooding or starving that cylinder. Chinese fuel lines and gaskets can melt with modern gas. Replace the fuel lines add an in line filter. If you have the plastic sediment bowl on the petcock, see if you can find an old style Dnepr or Ural sediment bowl which is metal and replace it. Check that you haven't lost your throttle stop or idle needles-they can drop out of the carbs.

While you are at it check your valves and timing.

Do one thing at a time, check the results as you go.

good luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software