Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
- (Added by: DAVE)

My Rookie Year
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

akathetroll
Posted 11/16/2005 1:30 PM (#11589)
Subject: My Rookie Year

Veteran

My rookie year started on Jul 24th 2005 and has now ended do to snowfall, miles traveled 7,272. Both my 24 year old mentally handicapped son and myself are fully hooked on the rig. The first best advice I got was from the installer who wouldn't let me drive the rig home. There is a lot to know and understand about driving a rig. I took two weeks of a lot of miles before I took a passenger. According to the SKUNKs I met, the installer did a great job - they took the rig for a "test" ride. Not being satisfied, I decided to "play" with it a little. Next spring/summer hopefully the SKUNKs will wish to "test" drive the rig again and I can get their opinions.

Changes done to motorcycle and sidecar during Sep., Oct., and Nov. 2005.

The purpose of the changes was to provide better handling and steering. This is the order in which changes were done. I believe all these changes needed to be done in order to achieve the best results for my rig. The results may be different for another rig.

Added additional 2.5" spacer to each fork tube and used 16 oz (mfg recommended 13.4 oz. 10w oil) of 30w oil in each fork tube. Result was forks didn't bottom out and raised front end/handlebars to more comfortable position. Front end was stiffer but not uncomfortable. Also moved rear shocks to max. stiffness position.

Adjusted Toe-in to 1/4" from 1-1/8". Adjusted Lean-out from 1/4" to 3/4" in increments. Then adjusted Toe-in from 1/4" to 1-1/8" in increments. Result was less pull to right at speeds over 50 mph.

Adjusted sidecar body backwards on frame by 5" (2.5" each time) so that where the back of the sidecar seat meets the bottom seat was over the sidecar axle. Made a big difference on the steering, doesn’t feel so stiff and “heavy”. Less stress on arms and shoulders. Better steering in corners. Less pull to right at speeds over 50 mph. Over the winter, will move back another 1.5”.

Put an Avon Triple Duty MK II 19” tire on the front of motorcycle. Even less stress on arms and shoulders. Even better steering in corners. Steering actual feels “light” but handles great in the corners. No front end wobble.

Tire pressures – motorcycle front (28 psi) motorcycle rear (40 psi) sidecar (24 psi) motorcycle front & rear are mfg recommended for heavy load and sidecar is from information gathered from other sidecarists

General rig information - Axle Lead 11”
Toe-in 1-1/8”
Lean-out .75”
Track 53.5”

The purpose of the change was to increase torque (power) of motorcycle (shaft-driven).

Put lower profile tire Metzeler ME880 Marathon 140/80-15 (instead of 140/90-15) on rear of motorcycle. .75” smaller diameter tire. Result was 400 rpm increase at speeds (4th gear at 55 mph was 4000 rpms now 4400 rpms). Easier start from dead stop in 1st gear. Can notice more torque (power) from 1st to 4th gear. 5th gear seems to have some more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LDuck
Posted 11/16/2005 6:02 PM (#11595 - in reply to #11589)
Subject: RE: My Rookie Year

Veteran

What kind of rig are you riding, name brand etc. ??
Bob in Wis
Posted 11/16/2005 6:53 PM (#11596 - in reply to #11589)

Elite Veteran

Wayne,that toe-in sounds kinda too much. try and get it down to 1/4 to 1/2 at the most. it could eat up your tires fast!
akathetroll
Posted 11/16/2005 9:11 PM (#11602 - in reply to #11595)

Veteran

Reply to what type of rig:

Motorcycle - '92 Virago 750
Sidecar - Bingham MK III body on a California Friendship I frame
akathetroll
Posted 11/16/2005 9:14 PM (#11605 - in reply to #11596)

Veteran

Bob, I tried less toe-in and it pulled to the right. This toe-in seems to work well with the lean-out. I'm already aware of possible tire wear and will be watching but thanks for reminding me.
Bob in Wis
Posted 11/16/2005 9:24 PM (#11608 - in reply to #11589)

Elite Veteran

OK, Wayne, great! if it works leave it alone. see you at the skunks rally in june.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software