Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "fools names like fools faces do appear in public places"
- (Added by: Valkyrie)

Meyers Aircraft Sidecars info?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 11/22/2005 12:12 PM (#11746)
Subject: Meyers Aircraft Sidecars info?

Trying to locate any information still out there. These were simple accessory side cars made by Meyers around the late 50's and or into the 60's. There is a pdf out there somewhere of the original owners manual. Trying to find that. And any other pictures or documents on this particular manufactuer. They were sold as an accessory on Vespa and Lambretta's. Including Allstate Vespa models.

Lets see if I can link a picture:

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/AllstateSidcarsm.jpg

Edited by cphilip 11/22/2005 9:19 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 11/27/2005 11:38 AM (#11839 - in reply to #11746)
Subject: RE: Meyers Aircraft Sidecars info?

More pictures....

Anyone out there know anything about these?

Comments on these pictures of the mock up of the set up? Look correct to you? These are crude little things so not much you can do with set up. I mock installed this yesterday... and in these pictures the rear scooter tire 5-6 inches behind the Sidecar tire. Center lines are just where they end up. Think this is about best I can do. So time to dismantle it all and prep for paint I guess. (Scooter and sidecar are going to be painted to match). Just want all the mounting holes drilled before paint is all.

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/ALLSTATEwSidecar1sm.jpg

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/AllstatewSidecar4sm.jpg
Hack'n
Posted 11/27/2005 2:35 PM (#11851 - in reply to #11839)

Expert

The mounting looks similar to the Cozy mount except for the 4 bolt joint.
The joint does help in fine tuning as you can shim with washers to adjust lean-out and toe-in.
A four bolt flanged coupling (for adjustments) could be easily retrofitted if you don't have the perfect alignment at the Git Go, however.

Lonnie

Posted 11/27/2005 2:48 PM (#11853 - in reply to #11746)

I will have to try and get a picture of the mounting plate. The one that goes under the scooter floorboards. I think there is a bit of twisting and turning can be done once that is mounted where you can twist the main pole to get a tad of adjustment. Maybe when I get that picture up you can advise me a bit on it.

However I don't think perfection can be achieved on this particular thing. Nor do I suspect it will need to be acheived. This particular scooter is incapable, in its current engine and gearing, of more than about 40 mph. Its still a 125cc with three gears. So its actualy perfect for something like this as its incapable of getting you into too much trouble with this old tub. I do expect to change the top end to a 150cc just to give it a bit more torque for pushing this thing. But don't really expect to do more than about 35 or 40 mph at best with the set up. Probably don't want to on 8" wheels with a straight arm sidecar like this.

It is similar to a Cozy in some respects. But very crude early sort of mounting on this one. No stabilizer set up like Cozy eithere. Almost identical to an old "Allstate Cruisaire Companion". I don't know who made those either. Possibly Piaggio or possibly were domesticaly done. Even possibly Meyers did some of them for that matter. Its fairly evident they copied the Cruisaire companion almost to a T. I have a detail drawing of that one and its very much the same as one of those.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software