Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide." — John Adams

WHICH ATTACHMENTS TO GET
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 11/23/2005 6:22 PM (#11779)
Subject: WHICH ATTACHMENTS TO GET

I picked up a Dnepr sidecar and I’m planning on putting it on a 78 bmw 80/7. The first thing I need to do is get these to together. I will not be driving this cross country, just around town and not going over say 65mph. I have looked at the Dauntless site and see that they 4 different types of kits; BASIC UNIVERSAL MOUNT SET, DELUXE UNIVERSAL MOUNT SET, BMW/6 & /7 Mount Set Complete, BMW/6/7 Mount Set Complete for Dnepr Sidecar. The prices range from 200-625. There is also Neff Design and they have a Sub-frame, no price on the web site. Now from past lessons I know not to get the least expensive but since I’m not going all over the country with this thing what would the set up be for my situation. Maybe after awhile I may want to upgrade or for that matter get another rig but for now just something to get my feet wet. I do need to get a new wheel for the Dnepr since the two that came with it the rims were bent. I have read that I can use something other than the Dnepr wheel by replacing the axel on the hack.

THANKS!
ALAN
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 11/23/2005 7:46 PM (#11784 - in reply to #11779)
Subject: RE: WHICH ATTACHMENTS TO GET

Expert

Lots of other people here can better advise you on the BMW, but I can help with the wheel. It's not necessary to replace the axle. I put a mag style wheel on my Dnepr sidecar. I found a wheel I liked at a salvage yard, pulled the bearing out of it and out of the Dnepr wheel, carried both into the local auto parts house and asked for a replacement. "I want a set of bearings with this inside diameter and this outside diameter". They had them on the shelf for $12 each.
claude #3563
Posted 11/23/2005 9:02 PM (#11787 - in reply to #11779)

Expert

ALAN,
Where are you located?
Hack'n
Posted 11/23/2005 10:14 PM (#11788 - in reply to #11779)

Expert

The mount set, complete also contains the needed subframe. That's where the extra cost comes in.
Also the Dnepr has a different frame tube diameter than the URAL so all kit parts are not interchangable.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecar

Edited by Hack'n 11/23/2005 10:17 PM
Bob in Wis
Posted 11/23/2005 10:32 PM (#11790 - in reply to #11779)

dont cut back on the mounting parts, even tho you say you will just be 'puttin' around town. first thing you know you will be driving out further and further, after finding out how much fun it is! You NEED the subframe for the Beemer. the bike frame is not strong enough.It will be a lot cheaper to get it all now than 'upgrade' later.

Posted 11/26/2005 5:39 PM (#11819 - in reply to #11779)

SidecarMike, I read your post somplace about doing that and I think that is what Im going to do, by the way what size rim was that What would the min dia be for the side wheel 17,18, or 19in?, and from the post I read you also got the disk...did you get that set up and how did you set up the caliper? Any pix?

claude, Im in Fort Worth tx. There is some one here that does sidecars but doesnt use a subframe.

So from what I am gathering the thing to do is go with Dauntless and get the BMW/6/7 Mount Set Complete for Dnepr Sidecar. Anybody out there wanting to get rid of one?

Anybody else with a suggestion?

Thanks to all who have replied. Hope every one is injoying thier holiday!!
Alan
SidecarMike
Posted 11/26/2005 7:56 PM (#11822 - in reply to #11819)

Expert

Mine is an 18 inch from the front of a 1982 Suzuki GN400. When I bought it I got the caliper, lines, and Master cylinder. I have the rotor mounted but never added the brakes. On a bike as big as mine and with the brakes on the Valkyrie I've never felt the need. Keep in mind that you want the sidecar frame to sit as level as possible. Even a 14 inch tire would give you ground clearance, but you need to figure out what size you will need when it's mounted. My photos are all on an IBM Thinkpad that is having some problems. If I get it sorted out I'll post them later.
Hack'n
Posted 11/26/2005 11:50 PM (#11833 - in reply to #11819)

Expert

Perry's Motorcycles and Sidecars have been putting hacks on Beemers for a long time. Until recently his shop was BMW of Fort Worth. They have been members of the Sidecar Industry Council for the last ten years. He uses special bracketry and doesn't use a sub-frame per se.
You might just look over his operation before you make a decision.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
naughtyf9
Posted 12/5/2005 6:36 PM (#12046 - in reply to #11779)

Alan,
I also live in the Ft Worth area (Southlake). I am modifying and mounting a Dnepr sidecar on my VTX1800 Honda as a winter project. My email is gary@justshea.com if you want to share the experience.
Gary

Posted 12/7/2005 2:43 AM (#12079 - in reply to #11779)

naughtyf9 Im in Azle and when I start the ball rolling Im sure Ill be posting you. Quick question. I see your puting on a different hack wheel. Do you have any pictures of it? And was it a fairly simple swap? Did you have to do any welding to put the wheel on or the when putting the disk and caliper? I think Ill be ordering from Dauntless this week so I will be looking at the wheel next.

SidecarMike
Posted 12/7/2005 7:05 AM (#12083 - in reply to #12079)

Expert

When I put the Suzuki wheel on, I just had to get bearings of the correct size. Nothing was modified on the original axle. I did have to put a spacer behing it to move the wheel out for rotor clearance, but never mounted the caliper. There's a picture of it in the Sidecars for Sale column and in my Album here.

Posted 12/7/2005 10:48 PM (#12092 - in reply to #11779)

SidecarMike, I seen your set up and I am going to see what type of wheel I can find at the wreckers. I just talked to the boss(wife) and she said that I will have to wait untill the 1st of the year for the sub frame and mounts but I can start on getting the wheel set up. What type of spacer did you use? just a piece of pipe of the correct dia?

THANKS!
ALAN
naughtyf9
Posted 12/13/2005 11:54 PM (#12186 - in reply to #12079)

ralans,
I sent you an email with the pic of my wheel. If you weld on a standard trailer spindle in place of the Dnepr axle, the choices of wheels are many (and cheaper as well). The disk caliper simply bolts on the axle.
SidecarMike
Posted 12/14/2005 7:06 AM (#12187 - in reply to #12092)

Expert

I used a series of heavy washers. Check with a wrecking service. I paid $35. for everything.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software