Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: remember this is the internet after all. Where nothing and everything is real
- (Added by: DAVE)

Information wanted about EML G3 sidecar - good or bad setup?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Kennethwinter
Posted 10/8/2003 2:42 PM (#1071)
Subject: Information wanted about EML G3 sidecar - good or bad setup?

Can someone share information about the EML brand? Good or bad.

I am looking at a Goldwing with the EML setup.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 10/10/2003 7:09 PM (#1095 - in reply to #1071)
Subject: RE: Information wanted about EML G3 sidecar - good or bad setup?

EML is a highly respected sidecar built in The Netherlands ("Holland"). Since EML is built primarily for the European sidecar market, their conversions must pass strict government inspections such as the German TUV. That means that EML has had it's designs inspected and approved by someone other than the factory.

However, bear in mind that someone can procure an EML (or any other sidecar) and attach it to a motorcycle without all the EML goodies that were part of the approved conversion. So, a wise purchaser would look carefully to see if the front end is an EML leading link, the wheels are EML (running auto tires) and the struts seem to be EML. In other words, when you're buying a European sidecar outfit, you're buying a complete conversion, not just a sidecar. There's not much difference between a new and used sidecar, other than paint and plating, so you can often do well buying a used rig. Wheel bearings, seals, brake pads etc. are all replaceable.

So, if everything is as EML designed it, it's probably a good rig. The 1200 and 1500 Gold Wings have been used as successful sidecar pullers for many years. The 1800 GLs have some cooling system and frame cracking issues that are slowly being resolved by Honda.

And, don't forget that the book "Driving A Sidecar Outfit" is available for $24.95 at 800 736-1117
claude #3563
Posted 10/10/2003 9:39 PM (#1101 - in reply to #1095)

Expert

The 1100 and even the 1000cc Wings are also decent sidecar power units. EML is for sure one of the first,if not the first, to introduce a complete sidecar dedicated system into the USA. They are known for quality as well as innovation in this field.
There have been some combinations constructed,even recently,that may not be sporting total EML components. This is not to say they are a bad or a good match as it would depend on what parts were swapped and so on. If this is the case you may want to have an experienced sidecarist or rigger take a look at the machine in question.
A case in point is the rig than Al Olme has today. (hope it is okay to say this Al)It is an EML chair on a K1100 BMW that has EZS running gear. I have ridden this machine and It is a very nice matchup.
Claude

Posted 10/13/2003 10:48 PM (#1131 - in reply to #1101)

"A case in point is the rig than Al Olme has today. (hope it is okay to say this Al)It is an EML chair on a K1100 BMW that has EZS running gear. I have ridden this machine and It is a very nice matchup.Claude"Sure, why not? I had a decision to make when I was putting this rig together. At the time, EML was in financial difficulty and they were not shipping and their future was uncertain. I went with one of their principle competitiors for the parts to convert the bike. All of the parts on the "bike side" from the sidecar chassis mounts are from EZS and the combination is doing very well. I guess the idea is that while it is nice to have everything from one manufacturer, you can feel confident in using assemblies that match up from other quality sources. Beware of a rig that is missing key features. If you see an EML sidecar that doesn't have a subframe to attach it to the bike or uses inexpensive universal clamps, let it pass or plan to spend a good deal of money to provide the proper mounting pieces.Just as a note, my sidecar is an EML GT3 and I'm very pleased with it.
Kennethwinter
Posted 7/6/2004 2:47 PM (#4030 - in reply to #1131)

I am still looking for an EML rig..Do you know of any mounted to a gold wing?

KLW
432-526-1328
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software