Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Sidecars are not for the faint of wallet!

2005 Vulcan 1600 Classic subframe?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

ignatious
Posted 4/22/2006 9:37 PM (#15430)
Subject: 2005 Vulcan 1600 Classic subframe?

Has anyone mounted a subframe on their 05 Vulcan 1600 Classic?

I am looking for a subframe pattern for a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic bike to fit a Velorex frame. The Velorex is not my first choice for a car because of it's weight, but it is all I can afford at this time. Well, the real truth is: if my wife knew I had to spend more money on top of the price of the bike and car, well, I'd be sleeping in the sidecar for a while.

I'm sure that someone would be willing to sell me one for $500 but that's a lot of money for a few pounds of metal and some welding wire.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 4/23/2006 10:03 AM (#15443 - in reply to #15430)
Subject: RE: 2005 Vulcan 1600 Classic subframe?

Expert

I didn't want to be the one to start this, but I guess no one else is going to answer you.
If this is all you can afford, you need to wait until you can get something better. Unless this is a brand new Velorex 565, you need to;
A. Spend a ton of money having the frame, axle, and mounting hardware upgraded to support the weight of the bike,

B. Trade the bike for something half it's weight

Or

C. Trade the sidecar for something twice it's size.

As far as the subframe goes, how mad will your wife be when somebody gets seriously hurt because you didn't do it right?

I know where you are. I went through a lot of hassle getting the money to put my present rig together, both with bank accounts and with spousal approval, but I planned on carrying people I cared about and people you depend on me. I couldn't do it half way. I started buying an old sidecar of the size I wanted, attached to a bike I hated. I rode that way until I could afford to upgrade. Then I spent $550 for the subframe to attach it, knowing that it would cost me 3 times that much to have someone reinvent everything from scratch and probably damage my bike with mistakes before I got it right. But once it was right, it was right. I felt safe and confident piling three grandchildren in the sidecar and their mother on the pillon and going down the road. I also know I can ride 70 miles per hour down the freeway and not worry about a stress point breaking or twisting or vibrating loose.
You're worth way too much to your family to die trying to cut corners.
ignatious
Posted 4/23/2006 11:18 AM (#15447 - in reply to #15430)

Thanks for the advice sidecarMike, but...I have a AS degree in manufacturing technology and I live two hours away from one of the best welders in my area. I plan on beefing up the already beefed up frame and axle on the sidecar and do everything that needs to be done to make the rig as safe as yours probably is.

Now, the question was: Has anyone built a subframe for a 05 Vulcan 1600 Classic and is willing to share the knowledge they learned. Isn't that what this forum is for? Hey guys, I am here to learn from the best so if you have some technical specs to share, please PM me or write directly to my email.

I might be the new guy here, but I am capable of a lot more than you might think. Asking for advice does not make me stupid, it makes me careful and indicates that I want the job done right.
SidecarMike
Posted 4/23/2006 12:53 PM (#15451 - in reply to #15447)

Expert

I wasn't implying you were stupid, I was only trying to say it would probably be just as expensive or more so, to rebuild and remanufacture everything to make it work safely as it would be to just get something better suited to your bike.
With your degree, you know that it's possible to mate a 15 inch car tire to an airplane, but you also know that doesn't automatically make it a good idea.

I wish you luck, but I doubt that you'll find anyone who has successfully mated that combination.
ignatious
Posted 4/23/2006 1:37 PM (#15454 - in reply to #15430)

Hey SidecarMike, I didn't take any offense in your advice. It was good advice and I can't argue with it.

Let's forget the Velorex part of the post and get back to the real point:

I am looking for a good subframe design for a my Vulcan 1600 Classic. Once you build a good subframe, you can put anything you please on it (within it's weight limits of course). Any help is appreciated.

Edited by ignatious 4/23/2006 1:43 PM
SidecarMike
Posted 4/23/2006 3:42 PM (#15459 - in reply to #15454)

Expert

Something else to consider. Someone here mounted a Velorex to a Valkyrie with only lower mounts so the bike would continue to lean as if it had no sidecar. I remember the rear pivot had to be precisely centered under the bike and the front had to also be centered but elevated somewhat.
I can't begin to tell you how it was done, but maybe someone with experience can pipe in.
I think he might have even been from the Washington/Oregon area.
Maybe if you can get some info from him you could work the same thing out with your combination.
ignatious
Posted 4/23/2006 6:09 PM (#15463 - in reply to #15430)

Well heck yes. Any design is worth looking at for now. I can picture it in my mind (what little is left of it) and it sounds like one way to do it. When you stop and take off though, does the bike have to lean the first few feet before you can straighten it up? I know a stop mechanism would have to be built to limit the amount of lean from side to side. My frame is already pretty low now so I don't have a lot of space to work with. I know that I have seen 1500's for sale in the classifieds forum but not lately. Do we have any of those guys or gals around to offer advice?
Hack'n
Posted 4/24/2006 11:19 AM (#15486 - in reply to #15463)

Expert

You have to remember to use the kickstand with the leaner or they fall over. Straighten it up and ride off.
They ride pretty much like a solo except for the lag/push effect on acceleration and braking from having the extra weight on one side.

Lonnie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software