Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell. US Cavalry Manual 1923

Do you name your outfit?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 10/22/2003 11:35 AM (#1248)
Subject: Do you name your outfit?

Hey Folks;

I belong to the Concours Owner's Group, and a finer group of people you'd never hope to ask for....a trait shared with present company of course.

But we do what may be an unusual sort of thing; we name our bikes ('Connie' is real popular). Most of us, when getting a new/used Concours believe that in a short time, the bike will pretty much name itself, either from some characteristic of handling, or the color scheme, perhaps a favorite activity, even as the reminder or memory of a favored wife/girlfriend; the list is pretty much endless.

As an instance, a couple of years ago I restored an '86 Connie, painting her a brilliant torch red....the bike looked hot (and still does)! So, after much throught and rumination, I named the bike "MotoRouge Piquier" which means, loosely, "Red Hot Motorcycle", or conversely, "Hot Red Motorcycle"....see what I mean?

So, how about you? Have you named your outfit? If so, what are your favorites?

Thanks!

Sahagan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 10/22/2003 12:37 PM (#1249 - in reply to #1248)
Subject: RE: Do you name your outfit?

Expert

When the Valkyrie first hit the streets, a guy named Craig Buhl created a website called "The Valkyries Lair", He coined the name "Dragon", based on the dictionary definition..."*Dragon;(n.) A legendary fire breathing beast of great size. Renowned for its immense power and ability to fly." I haven't really come up with something I like yet so we just refer to her as "The Dragon".On a related note, I once owned a 1942 Harley Davidson. A girlfriend named it "Teddy", after our 26th President who was known as a "Roughriding son of a *****."
Hack'n
Posted 10/22/2003 2:55 PM (#1255 - in reply to #1248)

Expert

You guys have got too much free time, I've called some of my rigs a lot of names but never have named one. Like "Ole Blew" (when a clutch went). "*@$#%*$%" (Panhead rig that wouldn't kick start), and like that. Heh, Heh.

Posted 10/22/2003 8:36 PM (#1260 - in reply to #1248)

Hey Guys;

I read both your replies earlier this afternoon and have spent some time doing my best to fathom the problem....and believe to have come up with a viable theory.

You see, the Concours is known as a virtually trouble free ride, comfortable, fast, relatively inexpensive, pretty sexy and just an overall good dose of panache.

So....I guess its only reasonable to give a pet name to anyone, or anything, that gives such unreserved pleasure, enjoyment, satisfaction and pride of ownership as it does.

Unless something else appeals to me, the name for my new rig (just a few more weeks, mostly depending upon weather....) will mostly likely be;

"HitchHacker"

But you never know until the time comes to pin that label on good and solid.

Later Y'all....

Sahagan
claude #3563
Posted 10/22/2003 9:24 PM (#1261 - in reply to #1260)

Expert

Gotta agree that the Concours is still one of the best buys on the market. I had one and sold it with 121,000 on the clock and I amy even be buying it back soon. The only problems were a cam chain tensioner that we replaced with a manual unit and a ujoint that dies at around 119,000 just before a trip to florida. This was a solo bike but if I do get it back it will be destined for a hack. It is a little rough around the edges but purely functional...I kinda liked the silver color as it was almost a dead match for the duct tape that held the cracked fairing in place.
Name? Never named it but it always brought a smile to my face.
Claude

Posted 10/23/2003 12:39 AM (#1263 - in reply to #1248)

Hi Claude;

My '86 Concours was the same color as yours....until I painted it red. And then, my '02 is now that same silver. I'm not crazy about the silver, but it seems lots of the newer sport/touring bikes, as well as lots of cars nowadays, are painted some shade of metallic color (I've a friend with an 'orange' Hummer, but that color is really a gorgeous 'metallic burnished copper, rose bronze, orange' if I ever saw one). I guess I'll keep it that way for a couple of years or so before repainting.

I've got 18,000 on mine, most of them with the wife on back. My biggest problem with the Concours has been its height and the weight of 7.5 gallons of gas right there on top of everything else....its simply too easy to drop in the parking lot, especially gravel lots (2 times and counting). That little factor right there played pretty much the major role in my deciding to go with a sidecar.

And now, I find the whole idea of the sidecar fascinating and have a really hard time waiting to get ready to go (you know how it is? you spend all that time getting the hack mounted and so forth, then realize you don't need to show it to the neighborhood until its just 'right', patched, painted properly and so forth....and your impatience grows by the minute; that's where I am right now, impatient as all get out).

I do believe the Connie has the potential to make a good sidecar bike....but naturally, I'll know lots more about that in the near future.

Catch you later!

Sahagan
claude #3563
Posted 10/23/2003 6:19 AM (#1264 - in reply to #1263)

Expert

The concours doe smake a goo dsidecar tug as some have found out. We have a couple of guys at SCT with them but one of the best known to explore the use of the connie is Vern Goodwin. Vern is well known in sidecar circles as a pioneer in the use of the electric lean device and he also manufactured the 'Good One' sidecar. He is heavy into Indians as well. Great guy.
Vern's Cycle Shop
Vern Goodwin
14900 N. 56th St.
Lincoln, NE 68514
402-785-9201

Posted 10/23/2003 1:27 PM (#1265 - in reply to #1248)

Mine's called one of the Lee twins... either Homelee or Uglee, I can't tell them apart.

Posted 10/23/2003 2:45 PM (#1268 - in reply to #1248)

Hey Chet;

LOL! That's the first time I've seen that name applied to an inanimate object....although I blush to admit both have been applied to yours truly on occasion.

I do note the absence of 'Wonderfullee', 'Gentlee', 'Surprisinglee', 'Handsomelee', 'Dependablee', 'Goes fastlee', and other such like.

Has it seemed to you that your usages of 'lee' might possibly have been somewhat associated with the looks of your rig?

Thanks! Later....

Sahagan

Posted 10/23/2003 8:19 PM (#1271 - in reply to #1248)

My mother-in-law's maiden name is Lee, so it's been something of a family joke, depending how good a mood she's in.
I just got my rig last Saturday but I've had the car for just about 3 years. It's a rather ugly Smitty Hawk II (I just found that out) and it needs a bit of work. It's mounted to an 82 Goldwing and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Posted 10/23/2003 10:55 PM (#1273 - in reply to #1248)

Hey Chet;

I've got some in-laws who are named Lee (including Robert E. Lee) as well....so I see what you mean.

On the other hand, I'm not at all familiar with the sidecar you mentioned, while perfectly familiar with the GW. I'd enjoy seeing a photo or two if you can get it in the album here on the forum, a thing I need to learn to do myself.

I'm still busy preparing to paint my hack, and am also in the throes of trying to design an independent braking system for the sidecar itself (does yours have a brake?), an idea I was fortunate to find right here (make no mistake about it, these folks know their stuff and are willing to share)....I expect, before its over, I'll end up aggravating them with so many questions some will begin to take my name in vain.

I have a five year warranty on my 18 month old Concours....and heard someone remark that I might jeopardize that warranty by adding a sidecar. But shucks, I'm an unapologetic do-it-yourselfer, and anything less than a complete engine overhaul I'd do myself anyway, regardless of the warranty.

So I'm going to carry on through with mine and hope for the best. I've set an arbitrary deadline for 100 percent completion to coincide with the rally in Bean Blossum (Indiana is it?) this coming June. To tell you the truth though, I'm looking forward to meeting the sidecar folks just as much as having and enjoying my own outfit.

By the way, does your new rig have a name?

Later!

Sahagan

Posted 10/25/2003 11:56 PM (#1282 - in reply to #1249)

I have a 93 BMW K1100 LT with a dnepr car. I call her Caramea. In other words Car of mine. OF course I am Italian. Billyboybeemer

Posted 10/26/2003 8:50 PM (#1293 - in reply to #1248)

Hey Billy;

"Caramea" I like, and can even pronounce properly....I think.

On the other hand, did you misspell the word "dnepr"? I cannot recall ever seeing that word, nor can I conceive of a way in which it could be pronounced safely in today's politically correct socio-economic climate.

Perhaps some letters are missing from your sidecar's name? Could it have actually been something along the lines of "Ladnepreene"? or perhaps "Grandneprone"? Neither of which appear in Webster's of course, but there is "lagniappe" which is defined as a 'little something extra', which could easily refer to a sidecar, which is course, something extra insofar as the bike is concerned.

I'd certainly enjoy hearing what the full name is if you can discern it without undue difficulty.

By the way, thanks! (and I'm kidding just a bit above. Shucks, if you can't have little fun, why bother to go on living?).

Sahagan

Posted 10/26/2003 10:21 PM (#1296 - in reply to #1248)

Oh Boy, Had me going for a bit. Thought for a while I had run into a sidecar person who had never heard of a NEPER. Doesn't help that I am the worlds woyst at spellin. I always say it's a sad day when you can't laugh a little. BBB

Posted 10/27/2003 7:09 AM (#1299 - in reply to #1248)

Hey BillyBoy;

Ahhh....we wouldn't be into bikes at all if we didn't have a good sense of adventure, enjoyment and fun.

And its pretty apparent you have a good sense of the language, else you wouldn't have come up with such a pretty and expressive name as "Caramea"; and even "Billyboybeemer" exhibits a good example of originality.

I don't know, in a way, its kind of like those bumper stickers you see that say something like, "Ask me about my Grandkids", which you've got to admit, says volumes about the owner of the car. Anybody excited enough about grandkids to shout it on the bumper of their car, is pretty taken with the grandkids.

And for lots of us, riding and bikes is the same way. We eat, live, breathe, talk and dream about riding, or doing this or that to our bike, or the bike we're going to get when our ship comes in....and believe me, there are worse ways to spend your dream-time!

I go to sleep every night anticipating and thinking about my next ride, or my next modification or upgrade to my bike. Sitting in the doctor's office, or waiting in line at the post office, I'm thinking about riding or some other facet of motorcycling. During other times, I'm surfing the forums, seeing what others are doing or saying about their bikes.

So I guess it was natural enough for me to name my outfit. It personalizes things for me, gives the machine another way of touching me, and me touching it. Maybe its a silly affectation, but it helps make the experience that much more enjoyable to me.

By the way, I've always wanted a Beemer. In fact, I love to read the trip reports on the Internet BMW forum (ibmwr.org). They must be some kind of bikes, durable and long-lasting, the way they're taken around the world, time after time. I wish we could see trip reports here as well, for having a sidecar must absolutely increase the quality of the experience.

Well, catch you later Sir!

Sahagan
claude #3563
Posted 10/27/2003 10:52 PM (#1316 - in reply to #1299)

Expert

For enough trip reports to almost quench even the worst cases of cabin fever this winter take a peek at Grant Johnson's Horizons Unlimited site. Be sure to say hello to Grant from Claude at SidecarTalk. Great people and a great site indeed.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Posted 10/28/2003 11:03 AM (#1324 - in reply to #1248)

Hey Claude;

Wow! Incredible site! And you're right. If you can't do it yourself, you can certainly enjoy the adventures of others who can and have done so.

Thanks.....

Sahagan
SidecarMike
Posted 10/31/2003 1:23 PM (#1378 - in reply to #1293)
Subject: RE: Dnepr

Expert

I have been told by importers that this is pronounced this as "Neper, as Neepro, and Deneper, as in Dentist. This summer I was at a craft fair tent run by an older Russian couple. They were selling everything from Military uniforms to nesting eggs. I tried each pronunciation to see if they might have something related to my sidecar. I got blank stares until I wrote it on a piece of paper. The woman then smiled and said "Dee NEE per!" With emphasis on the second syllable. She then questioned my sanity and suggested I get rid of the Dnepr and buy myself a nice Honda. She got quite a charge out of the fact that I had a Honda, but it had the Dnepr sidecar on it. She asked me what was wrong with a Honda sidecar. :0)

Posted 10/31/2003 3:32 PM (#1379 - in reply to #1248)

Hey Mike;

Dnepr...Dee-NEE-per, huh?

Well, if we'd shown that word to an 8 year old, he most likely would have said Dee-NEE-per, just like your Russian folks.

Its only us sophisticated, educated, know-it-alls who couldn't figure it out!

I'm plumb ashamed of myself....

Later!

Sahagan

Posted 10/31/2003 9:45 PM (#1387 - in reply to #1248)

So, de neper iz talked as, deeneeper. So I ges I wuz rong.BBB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software