Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  Use care in reading the advice of others. -> discuss USCA stuff -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I live in the U.S. Why should I have to press "1" for English?
- (Added by: xs1100sgman)

Poll Opinion Poll
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Use care in reading the advice of others. -> discuss USCA stuffMessage format

Joyce
Posted 7/27/2006 2:01 PM (#18215)
Subject: Opinion Poll

We need your help- You can vote for more than one option and even add your own option.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 7/28/2006 11:32 AM (#18244 - in reply to #18215)
Subject: Insurance help for the Anamosa Rally

This poll is a good idea and shows the commitment that the BOD has to listening to the members. It does bring up a question about how the poll will be interpreted. Does the BOD consider a vote for "I trust the board to do their job" a vote for no additional disclosure? I trust the BOD to do it's job but I still would like to know the topics under discussion.

The thought is that if the membership knows what the BOD is talking about they are better equipped to offer input to the process through their elected representatives. Consider the current motion regarding what amounts to an annual contract for the Registrar; has anyone else been contacted about doing the job (at a better price or for free). Is there an effective back up plan in the event that the Registrar can't complete his duties? Is there a need to bind the club with a contract for a job that has been done for so many years without any contract? If the membership knows that these issues are under discussion we can feel comfortable that the BOD will make a decision that they feel is best and they can offer their input and opinions to the process through their reps. If we don't know if these options are being considered how are we to know that they were even thought of?

Also, it would be good to know which folks aren't on the BOD but are "let in on" Racedis discussions and why. Since there are select members who are invited to participate in or monitor the site why not all members? If the dark old days are truly a thing of the past, isn't it time to make Racedis a public read only forum?

Edited by Al Olme 7/28/2006 11:33 AM
pierobassi
Posted 7/28/2006 12:00 PM (#18246 - in reply to #18244)
Subject: RE: Insurance help for the Anamosa Rally

Originally written by Al Olme on 7/28/2006 12:32 PM
"..The thought is that if the membership knows what the BOD is talking about they are better equipped to offer input to the process through their elected representatives.."

Al,

Some of our members perceive your suggestions as an effort to stir "animosity" within the membership. I personally think those people are in bad faith and impartial when relating to you.

Your message brings up very good, important points that should be carefully pondered by anyone interested in the growth of our Club!!

BRAVO,
Piero Bassi
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Titan Eng. Works
Posted 7/29/2006 1:13 AM (#18275 - in reply to #18215)
Subject: RE: Opinion Poll

Al I may not agree with all that you say, but I must say that you post is in the best interest of the org.It is right on target, well said.
Ron in Co
Al Olme
Posted 7/30/2006 1:31 PM (#18356 - in reply to #18275)
Subject: Re: Opinion Poll

Vernon Wade has made an excellent compromise motion that will remove the need for this poll. See

http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/thread-view.asp?threadid=3482&posts=...

on the Board Forum. It would open read only access to the State Reps but not the entire membership. This would allow the state reps to seek input from their constituents and provide a flow of information and opinion back up to the BOD.

In an indirect way this motion (if adopted) would address two other problems within the USCA. The first is a feeling of isolation among the state reps. Up until now the state reps have not had a lot of support from the BOD. Please understand that this isn't because the BOD was in any way negligent, it's just that no one could find a way to be more proactive towards the state reps. Insofar as I know, every request made by a state rep was acted upon and they seem to get all that they ask for but still the BOD wanted to do more to bring these folks into the core of the USCA. This is the most positive step that I can imagine for the state reps.

That brings up the second issue and probably the biggest question facing any club like ours, RETENTION OF NEW MEMBERS. At the BOD meeting held at Beaver, AR Steve Woodward brought up the issue saying that (I’m going from memory here but I believe I’m correct. Steve, please chime in) each year we get something in the neighborhood of 150 new members and that the next year more that 90% of them do not renew. Couple that with natural attrition in the ranks and the club is either flat in membership or growing very slowly (of late, it has been the latter). Bringing the state reps closer into the inner workings of the USCA will encourage them to be more active in their state duties and make them more aware of the direction and initiatives the USCA wants to foster. It provides them with more information to use in recruiting new members. It will prepare them to rise to jobs on the BOD. It would be really great to see elections that were actual positive competitions for the jobs rather than “rubber stamping” the only folks who were willing to run. If the core group that runs the USCA is made larger the effect will be to make more jobs for volunteers and getting new folks involved in the club in a meaningful way is a big step toward growth.

Please forgive the length of this post but this is the most exciting thing to happen to the USCA since the new era began some four or five years ago. Please let your BOD know that you support Vernon Wade’s motion. Open read only access of the BOD’ private discussion group to the folks who want to work for the club in the field and help the club grow through openness, cooperation and the involvement of members.

Thanks for a great motion Vernon. What a way to start your new job!
Reardan Tom
Posted 7/30/2006 2:18 PM (#18358 - in reply to #18215)

I don't know that my opinion carries any weight at all here but I think Vernon's idea has a great deal of merit. It would allow the BOD to conduct necessary business without turning every discussion into a free for all while still getting information out to the members via the state reps. Certainly a good way for any club to operate. IMHO...
Titan Eng. Works
Posted 7/30/2006 3:26 PM (#18363 - in reply to #18215)

I am going to 2nd Tom's post. I belive with more comunication the Club wiww prosper and grow with less problems.It can only help to get more involed in working for the benifit of aii
Ron in Co
State Rep for Colorado
RedMenace
Posted 8/2/2006 11:08 PM (#18609 - in reply to #18363)

Just wanted to bump this poll out in front of folks again. The board is looking at this to get a feel for what direction the membership wants us to take. So far, it looks like no one much cares, which is OK, I guess. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but it does make things easier...

VW
Reardan Tom
Posted 8/3/2006 9:03 AM (#18617 - in reply to #18609)

Hey Vernon, I did my part. And I just found out as I hoped that it won't let a person vote twice! That's a good thing...
RedMenace
Posted 8/3/2006 9:35 AM (#18618 - in reply to #18617)

Thanks Tom! I was wondering that too. Joyce is a pretty on the ball type, good presidential material
VW

Edited by RedMenace 8/3/2006 9:36 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software