Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Wolfhound. Growing old is inevitable, being old is not.
- (Added by: Wolfhound)

New to list...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 10/26/2003 6:22 AM (#1289)
Subject: New to list...

Hi. I'm new to List and sidecars, not bikes. Sidecar bug has bit...bad I have a Guzzi Ambassador(my first motorcycle was an El Dorado) on the way that will probably wind up as the platform for a rig. My main interests have been air cooled BMWs. I'm a competent weekend wrench as long as I have decent instructions in front of me. I'll be poking around before I start asking questions that are already answered. I'm a complete newby with about 5 minutes of saddle time on a rig. In the meantime, if there are any Guzzi rig owners that want to set me straight before I jump in with both feet, I'm all ears.

Harrison Cole
AMA, BMWMOA, ABC, VCOA, etc
'78 R100RS
'81 R80G/S PD
'98 900SSCR
'70 Ambassador
other Vespas and BMWs
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 11/4/2003 11:41 AM (#1422 - in reply to #1289)
Subject: RE: New to list...

Expert

Check with Ron Braithwaite . you can find his site home page @ wetleather.

Edited by Hack'n 11/4/2003 11:43 AM

Posted 11/8/2003 8:06 PM (#1491 - in reply to #1289)

My first sidecar rig as a Moto Guzzi Ambassador, with a Spirit Eagle sidecar.

The Ambassador makes a good sidecar puller, except its down on power, and geared too tall. The result is that you have to work it hard in traffic. The original exhaust valves have very thin heads that tend to burn, and the valve stems tend to collect burned carbon--that encourages them to stick open slightly. So, put all this together, and you can see that frequent valve work might be in order. My solution was to install Fiat Spyder exhaust valves with the center of the valve tops ground down to remove a little weight.

Over time, I installed big bore cylinders to jack it up to 900cc. Then I bought a seized Eldorado motor, and put all the pieces together: the "stroked" 850 crank with the big bore cylinders and the "Fiat valved" heads with added stem seals. OK, I had the crank balanced, and the 850 rods drilled for squirt holes like the 750 rods.

I also located a Moto Guzzi sidecar lower triple clamp, and after modifying the upper clamp assembly, I had sidecar trail that worked very well. Much better than a telescopic BMW front end, I might add.

I've seen an Eldorado with a Ural attached. It looked very "period". Nice rig.

pmdave
sidecarLenny
Posted 11/8/2003 9:09 PM (#1493 - in reply to #1289)

I have a 1970 Ambassador/velorex 562 rig(on frame restoration).
I have incorporated a 5 speed trans, a deep splined clutch, Iam increasing the displacement to 850cc. I'll look into the valve changes PMdave made.
I may change the gearing( moto guzzi actually made models intended for sidecars only in them days) too.
Moto Guzzi made a top link plate and a bottom yoke part that reduces trail for sidecar riding, but they may be for the eldo model only.
Buy the Moto Guzzi tips Volume # 1 BOOK. There are alot of TIPS for ambos and eldos to make them better for sidecars. Plus other great ideas to make the bike better overall.
I love this Vintage rig! The tin and overall look is Classic.
I get tons of attention and people walk past $20,ooo Harleys to look at my
hack all the time!! It will have its limitations on the road, so keep that in mind if its your only bike or sidecar.
I would also recommend that you don't try make it a part time solo and part
time sidecar bike. One or the other.
Good luck!!!

Posted 11/9/2003 8:58 AM (#1498 - in reply to #1289)

Thanks for the info...this is good stuff. I intend to devote the Ambo to 100% rig service. I'll trust the set up to a professional. The grunt engine work I'll do myself, jobbing out headwork etc, to the real smart fellows(I'm dealing with a dropped valve on a G/S at the moment). Sometime soon, I'll be offering up a Ducati in trade for a nice chair. I'm going to be shooting for one of those repro Steibs, until someone convinces me a Ural is better...I AM listening. I just started a half-a$$ed web page

http://www.pbase.com/vespalfa

Anyway, I'm listening and learning.

Harrison Cole
AMA, ABC, BMWMOA, VCOA, blah, blah
sidecarLenny
Posted 11/10/2003 6:59 PM (#1516 - in reply to #1289)

One thing I'd like you to understand before you do all this work.
The moto guzzi ambo is not as desirable as the eldorado on resale!
Do this project with the intent to hold the bike for a while so you get your $$$$$$ worth or you may be dissapointed.
You can get a good idea of what I mean by following ebay sales.
I did my guzzi sidecar with the intent to hold on to it and it's fun to ride around town.
I've seen some ambos done over and then have to be sold at a discounted price.
Ambos are fun to own but do not compare to the eldos(esp. the 74-75 police
models with disc brakes).
On the flip side if you can do a good part of the wrenching yourself replacement parts are reasonably priced on ebay. You have multiple bikes to ride so its probably a non issue.
sidecarLenny
Posted 11/10/2003 7:03 PM (#1517 - in reply to #1289)

One more thing to add;
I've devoted my bike to sidecar only duty as you plan to do and the Avon block tires are working nicely.
Just in case you have not picked out tires yet.
maybe PMdave has some thoughts on this subject.

Posted 11/11/2003 2:12 AM (#1521 - in reply to #1516)

I really appreciate the constructive criticisms...seriously. Here are my thoughts. My first bike was an Eldo, so I understand exactly what you are saying. Eldo prices have increased so much that I'm almost priced out of the market...for my tastes. I wanted a loop frame. I wanted electronic ignition, and I wanted dual discs up front. I do not need a huge motor, as this will mostly be a commuter in an urban environment. I'm close to getting the main issues covered. Harper's has an ignition(I haven't heard enough feedbackto be completely sold on these ignitions yet), and I'm confident I can use a front BMW /6 wheel in conjunction with a leading link front end...this will be a custom job. Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Harrison

Edited by vespalfa 11/11/2003 3:29 PM
Hack'n
Posted 11/11/2003 12:47 PM (#1523 - in reply to #1521)

Expert

Harrison,
Which leading link are you planning to use?

Posted 11/11/2003 3:28 PM (#1525 - in reply to #1523)

My plan is to check with Unit, etc first to see if any of these guys will work with me on the idea of grafting an Ambo top half to a '81-'84 BMW(looking for the easier to work with Brembo calipers, while still using a spoked rim) bottom half. If something like that doesn't work, I've been talking with some machinists to make the appropriate adaptors.
This was all part of my budgeting plan...I bought a cheaper Ambo that I can upgrade as needed, but that allows me to spend some decent money on the front end. If I'm going down the wrong road here, please chime in.

Harrison
sidecarLenny
Posted 11/11/2003 8:50 PM (#1527 - in reply to #1289)

I forgot to note that I have the HARPERS ignition on my ambo and have had no problems and recommend installing one on your bike( no points etc. to deal with).
I have asked others about the FRONT END/BRAKES and was referred to mike morse at vintage brakes. He rebuilds old drum brakes for vintage racers and he says he can make your brakes work better than any disc from the same era.
THIS SHOULD SOLVE BRAKING ISSUES YOU MAY HAVE FOR THE TYPE OF RIDING YOUR GOING TO DO WITH THIS RIG.
I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO CHANGE MY FRONT END OR BRAKES AND RETAIN THE CLASSIC LOOK OF THE BIKE.
THIS GIVES YOU MORE OPTIONS.
I CAN EMAIL YOU PHOTOS IF YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT MY RIG LOOKS LIKE

Posted 11/12/2003 12:19 AM (#1529 - in reply to #1527)

THAT is good info! Vintage Brake is fairly close...a real nice ride from here. I'll start looking into this. Please do email me photos of your rig...vespalfa@earthlink.net

Thanks!
Harrison Cole
sidecarLenny
Posted 11/12/2003 8:08 PM (#1533 - in reply to #1289)

I'LL SEND YOU THOSE PHOTOS, AND YOU CAN ALSO TRY CONTACTING MOTO GUZZI CLASSICS AND CYCLE GARDEN.
BOTH LOCATED IN CALIF. AND BOTH MOE & MARK ARE EXPERTS ON VINTAGE GUZZIS.
THEY MAY HAVE IDEAS FOR YOU ON THAT FRON END MODIFICATION.
CLAUDE POSTED PICTURES OF MY RIG ON THE COVER PAGE OF THE INTERNET SIDECAR CLUB FOR THOSE WHO MAY WANT TO TAKE A LOOK.

LENNY
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software