Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Riders Wanted -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin railing against the Penn family's refusal to financially contribute to Pennsilvania's defense during the French and Indian War
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Anyone in Virginia out there?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Riders WantedMessage format

redsoxcah
Posted 2/16/2008 6:15 PM (#33235 - in reply to #20070)
Subject: We gather 15 March in Roanoke VA

We have an opportunity to join the Copper Hill Sidecarist an informal group of riders in the St. Patrick's Day Parade 15 March, Roanoke VA. If you are not Irish, we will bless you into the Clan for just a wee bit of wearing the green.

The St. Patricks Day Parade is Roanoke's biggest parade. You are welcome to join us.

Internet details http://www.roanokesaintpats.org/

We would like to get a sense of the number of sidecar riders who will be joining us.

So shoot me an email and let me know.

My thanks to Hank Pfister from the Roanoke area who has welcomed us to join their group from Copper Hill, VA

Several of us are staying Friday evening at a local Super 8 Hotel

Super 8 Motel Roanoke
I-81 Take I-581 Exit 2S
6616 Thirlane Rd
Roanoke, VA 24019 US
Phone: 540-563-8888
Fax:540-563-8888

www.super8.com

I will travel down from Fairfax VA Friday the 14th see you for dinner.

Hank Waters
VA Hack
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HOG
Posted 3/23/2008 7:21 PM (#34209 - in reply to #20070)
Subject: RE: Anyone in Virginia out there?

Regular

Just found this web site from flyer at motorcycle swap meet in Charlotte yesterday. I live in Pearisburg, Va. Only two sidecars in Giles county. Is there an area club? I've gone to poker runs in Roanoke, Salem, Dublin, Blacksburg, and of course my local area. Don't see too many side cars. Bike week in MB is coming up and usually only see 6 or7 sidecars.
TurtleZ
Posted 3/27/2008 2:24 PM (#34338 - in reply to #20070)

Hello fellow Virginians,

I'm near Charlottesville and will be picking up my rig in a couple of weeks! Really looking forward to taking advantage of both the Blue Ridge Pky and Skyline drive. I live just a few miles from where the two meet. Also travel down to Roanoke several times a year to visit good friends who also ride (2 wheels). I'll check back in when I've actually got the rig here.

Turtle
HOG
Posted 3/27/2008 10:26 PM (#34356 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

TurtleZ, have u taken the sidecar course or are u a season rider. I drove my o3 HD for a year before I could get into the course at NRC college. $77. and HOG refunded me $50. I learned more in 3 days than I did in the year of poker runs and trips.
TurtleZ
Posted 3/28/2008 6:45 PM (#34377 - in reply to #34356)

I took the S/TEP class last summer in Lynchburg. I had a blast and decided I'd have a rig someday. And everything finally fell into place for me.The instructors were great. I can't imagine trying to drive this rig home 1k miles without having been through the class.
HOG
Posted 3/30/2008 11:00 PM (#34460 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

I went on many poker runs that year thru out the mountains of Va and WV. I live in Pearisburg 22 miles from VT in Blacksburg and about 18 miles to WV line. The poker runs go thru many back roads and Mtns. The hardest of the runs was going uphill with sweeping rights or switchbacks. Till I took the class I gave rear brake in rht turns. My wife and I perfer interstates. Our favorite rides are to Stauton Va. and to Princeton WV. Our longest ride was to Nags Head NC, over six hours & half. We trailer our rig to both bike weeks at Myrtle Beach. Anyone going in May??
TurtleZ
Posted 3/31/2008 9:14 PM (#34486 - in reply to #34460)

Haven't been able to make Myrtle Beach yet. May is a tough time of year for me to get away from my job. Maybe next year. Let me know if you come up to Staunton again this year. That's only 1/2 hr. or so from me.
HOG
Posted 4/1/2008 8:37 PM (#34520 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Will do, hope to see ya sometime.
HOG
Posted 4/3/2008 12:56 PM (#34561 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

I don't know which Saturday this month but weather permitting there is a poker run in Covington, Va. Are you interested when I get the date, and of course the weather?
uralsharps
Posted 4/4/2008 5:07 PM (#34576 - in reply to #20070)

Turtle,
You and I are neighbors. I live about a dozen miles from you, just east of Free Union. Have a 1999 Victory with an articulated Ural sidecar. Got some pics posted here. I get up on the Parkway quite often with my dog Taylor as co-pilot. Are you aware of the Charlottesville meetup.com motorcycle group? I just heard about the group a month ago and have gone to two meeting/diners. Will be meeting again Tuesday 04/08/08, 7:00 at Big Al's on River Rd at Free Bridge. Two weeks later they will meet again at Big Al's Ruckersville location. There is also another motorcycle group getting together at Rival's on Rio Rd every Tuesday night from what I understand.
What kind of rig are you getting? We must meet up.

Roy
TurtleZ
Posted 4/5/2008 9:55 PM (#34614 - in reply to #34576)

Roy,
Thanks for the post. I knew there had to be other sidecars around here, I just havn't seen them. I had not heard of the Charlottesvile group, but I'll try to check it out sometime. Not this week though, I leave on Tuesday the 8th to pick up my rig. Going down to Richmond Tuesday and sleeping on a friends couch, then fly out 6:30 am from Richmond to Des Moines Wed. morning. Planning to be back sometime over that next weekend. I'm getting a 2000 Roadstar with a Champion sidecar. I can't wait! Let's definately get together, I'll contact you after I get back.
Turtle
HOG
Posted 4/16/2008 4:37 PM (#34917 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

This saturday in Covington Va is a poker run at 10am. Some two wheelers and I are leaving at 8am to get there. Of course everything depend on the weather. Last year we went on one poker run that rained non stop and if it weren't because of being a fund raiser we would have never went. Now we're a little older and a little smarter?
redsoxcah
Posted 4/16/2008 5:29 PM (#34918 - in reply to #20070)
Subject: Sat Pat's parade was a blast, looking toward Halloween

Just to give folks an update the Roanoke VA Sat Patricks day parade was a blast perfect weather for the day. Smiling kids, happy families and we just had fun! We recommend that you put it on the calendar for next year and just to be fair shop for your Irish green through out the year. It is a hoot and a hit to dress up for the parade. The Cooper Hill Sidecar gang are a great group of folks.

Now for the Fall, would like to get a sense if folks would be interested in a fall gathering at Kings Dominon Amusement Park. Either weekend of 17 October or 31 Oct. We can make it a scary good time. There are hotels and campground right there to fit every budget. Right off of I-95, just north of Richmond.

Let me know what you think. The park is open and you can go riding or go ride in the park.

Sincerely Hank
HOG
Posted 4/28/2008 9:49 PM (#35229 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Too early to say yes to KD in Richmond but we would like too see a lot of other hacks. When u get an agenda etc, please post or email me.
I leave soon for Myrtle Beach Bike Week. We hope to do the Wilmington, NC loop and the Charleston Loop and Marion loop.
herwing
Posted 5/31/2008 2:11 AM (#36156 - in reply to #35229)

Veteran

I rode my rig down to Myrtle Beach. (I think I've just about quit peeling from the sunburn that I got the first day). After we got there, I parked my rig to save our space in the parking garage and rode two-up with my husband. I did see a few rigs while we were there. The ride down & back was really nice until we got slammed by a thunderstorm just west of Lynchburg.
We're about a half hour ride south of Staunton, and a short ride away from the Parkway (which is my favorite place to ride). If you know that you are going to be in the area, let me know and maybe we can ride along with you.
While attending a Memorial Day service at the Fincastle Presbyterian Church in Fincastle, I saw a rig go by. The bike looked like an older Honda, but I only got a quick look at it. Anyway, there is at least one hacker in Southwest VA, if he wasn't just passing through.

Connie
HOG
Posted 6/11/2008 9:59 PM (#36459 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Hi herwing
I saw about 7 rigs in MB, more than normal. Hey, will you be in the bike run at ROA civic center Saturday for that cop that got beat up real bad.$20 donation &$7 for food. Silent auctions etc. Supposed to be around 600 bikes.
I used to live in Lexington, then moved to Pearisburg in 87. My wife and I like the run to Staunton, to that HD.We ride to Salem VA hospital twice a year and the ride to the wall from Dublin
herwing
Posted 6/19/2008 6:08 AM (#36612 - in reply to #36459)

Veteran

Hi HOG,

Sorry I didn't see this in time to reply about the event in Roanoke. We were down in the GA mountains riding. There was also a weekend event at the Harley dealership in Staunton. One of our favorites, Keith Bryant was performing there. But we had already made plans to meet friends in GA.
We came back through TN and NC. We rode through Deals Gap and rode the Parkway home yesterday. It was a really nice trip, but I don't think that I saw a rig anywhere during the entire trip.
My husband does the ride to the wall, but I've never gone. It always seems like I have something else that I have to do.
We lived in Lexington for four years before we moved out into the county. Of course, my husband still works there.
Let us know sometime when you're planning a ride to Staunton and maybe we can tag along.

Connie
HOG
Posted 6/19/2008 10:57 PM (#36635 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Hey, glad u had a great and safe trip. There were OVER 1000 bikes in ROA at the benefit and I saw 3 other rigs. Two were two seaters, with one having a car seat in it already and the the third was a HD similar to mine. My wife now wants a 2 seater to safely carry our 9 month grandson. We now go on only short trips so as to not scare him and to get him used to the helmet and the noise. He only has fussed at stop signs.I need to find a Goldwing with a 2 seater rig, and a another rig for my son BMW.
I called California Sidecar today and No dealer they except in Baltimore has a demo set to test. Also they said they are 6 months backed up on sidecars! If u guys ever swing thru Pearisburg, I own a store right on 460 business 22 miles from Blacksburg and 18 miles from WV state line.
herwing
Posted 6/20/2008 3:28 AM (#36642 - in reply to #36635)

Veteran

My granddaughter is only a month and a half old, so I don't think she'll be riding in the sidecar any time soon, but she is on her first camping trip this week. Where'd you find a helmet for an infant?

I've never been in Pearisburg, but you never know!

Connie
HOG
Posted 6/20/2008 6:04 PM (#36648 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Ibought Ean's helmet at Myrtle Beach bike week. They had a web site...www.helmets-n-more.com. We had his name air brushed on. What type of parrot do you have? In that store I have in Pearisburg, we sell gas, propane, pop and snaks, A Subway and we also sell fresh and saltwater fish and BIRDs, we've sold several parrots and have many other birds.
David
herwing
Posted 6/20/2008 6:33 PM (#36649 - in reply to #36648)

Veteran

Thanks for the helmet info; I'm sure that we're gonna need one for Megan in the not too distant future.

I have a Quaker parrot - a green chicken as he says. He was being a very good boy today and said, "Thank you," when I fed him. Birds have always been my favorite kind of pet. I have never understand the appeal of smelly, furry things. Even if they didn't smell so bad, I couldn't stand having hair all over everything. Anyway, I got Rascal in Daytona Beach when he was still a baby; and he rode home in my sidecar. He's mean as a polecat, but he's so funny that I sorta love him anyway.

Connie
HOG
Posted 7/2/2008 10:07 PM (#36912 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Well my wife saw that 2 seat rig at Roanoke and now I have 2 complete bikes with sidecars. My new bike is a 1988 goldwing with a 2 seater Hannigan, and a trailer to match. Drove it back from Columbia, SC last week.
herwing
Posted 7/3/2008 3:30 AM (#36916 - in reply to #36912)

Veteran

Okay, now that you've got a Goldwing, you might be more inclined to want to be accompanied by another Wing rider. If you head up this way with that new rig, I would sure like to see one with a car seat. I don't think that my daughter-in-law would consider letting us take Megan for a ride this year, but a year or so down the road, things might change.

Enjoy the new rig!

Connie
HOG
Posted 7/5/2008 8:48 PM (#36947 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Hope this weather breaks so I can test it out better. I replaced the front tire and notice that one side brakes was close to needing replaced so I ordered two sets and will put it all back together again soon. The car seat that I thought would work, doesn't leave enough room for my wife. I need a smaller booster type seat. I live in a 3 stop light town, 25mph, so we have taken Ean on short rides sitting next to Gloria. He's almost 10 months old but he is 24#'s and enjoys the rides.
HOG
Posted 8/11/2008 9:43 PM (#37854 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Was just thru that way. Went to a wings show in fredricksburg Friday and back Saturday. Just registered for the Salem GWWRA Convention in October.Anyone going?
Two weeks ago I left for Nags Head on Sunday, went to Myrtle Beach on Monday, worked on my house Tues and came home on Wednesday. I have put almost 4 thousand miles on the goldwing rig an only 30 miles on the harley rig. If this keeps up I guess I will sell my HD?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software