Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Riders Wanted -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: iron bars do not a prison make..but they sure do help
- (Added by: perverse-werkes)

Anyone in Virginia out there?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Riders WantedMessage format

HOG
Posted 9/15/2009 9:40 PM (#46256 - in reply to #20070)
Subject: Re: Anyone in Virginia out there?

Regular

Ayear since my last post on this subject. I recently bought a third hack thru ebay. an 1996 gl1500 GW w/hannigan 2+2. We added A/C to this one already. My grandson has now turned 2 yr old and would sleep in the bike all night if we would let him. He beggs granny " bike pleeeeze", If she says yes I put him in the side car and he says helmet and then scoots over to let granny in. We took him on a poker run my store ran to raise $$ for the fire dept. 80 miles and he LOVED the ride!
Leaving soon for MB bike week. ANYONE going?? If I didnt own so many condos/houses down there i WOULD probably go somewhere else. MB really screwed up spring BW and I doubt many will be there for the fall rally.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
herwing
Posted 9/18/2009 12:31 AM (#46308 - in reply to #46256)

Veteran

Hi Hog.
Own any condos in Daytona?

We had planned to go to Myrtle this past spring, but opted instead to go to the Smokies to meet up with friends from Indiana. We won't be going to Myrtle this fall, either, but we will be going down to Daytona for Biketoberfest. Any chance you'll be headed down for that? We go down I-81 and then pick up I-77 at Wytheville, so we'll be passing by pretty close to you. I'm not sure exactly when we'll be heading out, but it will probably Oct. 10 or 11.
HOG
Posted 9/18/2009 9:05 AM (#46318 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Now is the time to be investing in Condos. I have heard that real estate in Florida is very cheap but the TAXES will kill ya!! I own 3 condos at SeaMist in MbWhen u past Christianburg exit 118 youll be 30 miles east of me, an as u past Dublin exit 98 you will be 22 miles east of me. Have a safe trip.. Maybe catch u at the wingfest at Salem in Oct?

Edited by HOG 9/27/2009 10:06 PM
herwing
Posted 9/20/2009 10:51 PM (#46381 - in reply to #46318)

Veteran

We haven't been to the Salem rally for several years, but you never know! If we are definitely heading down there, I'll let you know.

Of course, you know that instead of coming back to VA from Myrtle, you could just keep heading south to Daytona!
I always love going to Biketoberfest, but hate knowing that it is the last hooray for the year!

HOG
Posted 9/21/2009 8:04 PM (#46419 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

My wife works at Volvo in Dublin and she only gets bike week off.I don't try to ride anywhere without her. At the Salem Wing Ding I will be there fri/sat as she'll be working but we'll both be there Sat.{weather permitting] She retires in 5 yrs and we hope to do alot more travelling, so biketoberfest is definitely in our future. I f I ever get my passport, I hope to ride to Niagra Falls. If she can get her 4 weeks vac. all at once we plan to circle the USA.
Have FUN in Florida!!!!
herwing
Posted 9/21/2009 11:03 PM (#46428 - in reply to #46419)

Veteran

We did a Niagra Falls trip several years ago. Nearly froze our behinds off, but it was fun. We did a ride to the west coast in 2002. We took in a bunch of National Parks. It was a great trip, but a trip trip that long takes a lot of the starch out of you!
We'll blow the horn when we go past the Volvo plant!

If we make to Salem, we'll try to stop by for a howdy!

Edited by herwing 9/21/2009 11:14 PM
GeorgiaBill
Posted 9/23/2009 4:55 AM (#46456 - in reply to #46419)

I notice you are from Dublin - I've signed up for the sidecar/trike class at the community college in October. Being so close to you, have you attended this or heard any comments about it?

Good luck on a tour around the US when your wife retires - sounds like fun.

Bill
HOG
Posted 9/23/2009 6:44 AM (#46457 - in reply to #46456)

Regular

Are u going to the Dublin in Va? Yes I took the class. I bought an 2003 ultra HD hack in 03 and rode a year before I could get into the class a New River Community College. It was well worth it!! Have u bought a hack yet? Holler if u are at the Va NRV and I'll try to swing by and say hey.
GeorgiaBill
Posted 9/23/2009 8:43 AM (#46461 - in reply to #46457)

Yes, I'm in the October 9-10-11 class at the New River Community College/New River Mall in Christianburg - I got the last slot. I'm glad to hear your positive comments.

I've had a Hannigan GTL on a GL1800 for about 3 years, but I removed the car and EZ-Steer for 17 months. Re-attached the car in April, and am trying to decide whether to have the EZ-Steer attached again. Hoping to get some guidance on the EZ-Steer at the class.

This thread is about looking for riders in Virginia - I see so few hacks anywhere, but I did see one with a couple on a reddish GL1800 rig at the BRP Waterrock Knob visitor center last month. I wish I had gotten his contact information. They may have been from Roanoak, but I just do not remember.

Thanks for the feedback on the class. Come by if you get a chance. Based on what I see on the road, I suspect hacks might be in the minority and easy to spot, but mine is white.

Bill
HOG
Posted 9/23/2009 2:43 PM (#46471 - in reply to #46461)

Regular

I did not know that the class was moved to Christiansburg. I have two gl1500 96 &88 with Hanigan 2+2 on both. one is purple and the other tan. The Salem Wing Thing is 8-9-10 so I will be going by the mall on the way to Salem, Va. Do u live in Ga now? It is rare to see hacks around here. I have 3 and one boy has another in Pearisburg. I only see them on I-81 passing by!
GeorgiaBill
Posted 9/23/2009 4:40 PM (#46473 - in reply to #46471)

Hacks are indeed rare for me to see. Both the couple and I on the BRP turned around to chase each other.

I live in the Marietta area - there is a Georgia sidecar rally in June up at Two Wheels Only in Suches.

I think my class is Friday evening from 6-10 and all day Saturday and Sunday. The directions state to enter the mall, turn left, go left at Dick's Sporting and around to the back of the mall. I checked it out on Google and it looks pretty easy to locate, just off the interstate. The directions ===>>> "...proceed to the left of Dick's Sporting Goods around to the back side of the mall where the NRCC site entrance is located."

Bill

HOG
Posted 9/23/2009 8:14 PM (#46478 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Friday is bookwork and general question night. Sat is outside and Sunday is the day u can use your own rig if u want to. U are asked to fly your rig on Sun. Possibly Sat My wife and I will just swing by and watch a litle and then go on to Salem. We leave this Monday for MB bike week. Also we have to move our furniture out a house while we are down there as we sold the house Rent To Own.
How far are u from Dalton? Instruction are correct. Exit 118 off I81 , 460E to hwy 114 thru 2 stoplights and mall on right. Are u riding your hack up? When?

Edited by HOG 9/23/2009 8:15 PM
HOG
Posted 9/23/2009 9:54 PM (#46480 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

I forgot to ask. R U staying in Christiansburg at a hotel or family nearby? I own a C Store w/ a Subway and Homemad Fudge shoppe in pearisburg. Before or after class, hollor and I could treat you to a sub or coffee etc.
GeorgiaBill
Posted 9/25/2009 9:58 AM (#46509 - in reply to #46480)

Virginia Tech has a home game that weekend, so the local motels are way too much for me. I may stay at a campground on the BRP.

I'm a little nervous about flying the car - I've never deliberately done that.
HOG
Posted 9/27/2009 10:05 PM (#46562 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Hey use their rig... a 250 honda last I heard with a small sidecar with the brakes disabled. You.ll LOVE swinging,burning rubber on left turns. The flying the cart is the last day as is optional. They have a BIG volunteer get into the cart and the instructor will fly him all over the parking lot. Hope to see ya there

Edited by HOG 10/6/2009 7:56 PM
GeorgiaBill
Posted 10/7/2009 4:50 PM (#46729 - in reply to #46562)

Hey, HOG, it turns out the class is actually in Dublin - I'm not sure how I got the NRM site.

I'm starting Thursday afternoon, and should be in Friday morning - I'll try to look you up if you are going to be around.

Bill
HOG
Posted 10/7/2009 7:34 PM (#46731 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Bill, call me 540-599-0653 if u want to go to Salem Va, for the Rally in the Valley. Va wing ding. NRV is exit 98 off I81 Go 3 stop lights and easy to find on the left.
GeorgiaBill
Posted 10/8/2009 4:01 AM (#46741 - in reply to #46731)

Sounds good - I'll call you later today - I just looked up the Rally, and it looks like it started Wednesday, so maybe you are already there.

Thanks

Bill
HOG
Posted 10/8/2009 7:21 AM (#46742 - in reply to #46741)

Regular

The vendors start at three today , and I plan on leaving around noon and go to Roanoke with my trailer and go to Sams to pick up items for my store and then to Salem. The light prade is at dusk and then I'll go home. What time are u leaving today? The rally is thu,fri, sat.
GeorgiaBill
Posted 10/15/2009 2:06 PM (#46866 - in reply to #46742)

Hey, David, thanks so much for hanging out on Friday - the rally in Salem was a real plus. I need to join the GWRRA if that is the correct acronym.

The class was just great - the 2 instructors were superb. We had 9 students, 4 male and 5 female. One of the students brought her Spyder, plus a local dealer named Virgil Naft let us use a demo Spyder on Sunday. I called the dealership this morning to say thanks and talked to the sales manager, and asked some specific questions. A touring version will be in the showrooms soon.

I hit some national parks and historic sites after leaving Dublin - the Blue Ridge Parkway Sunday night, then on to WV, PA, MD, and DC on Monday and Tuesday. The wing has a weather band and I happened to listen Tuesday afternoon in DC - sounded pretty grim, wet and cold. I hope MB is working for you. I went from DC to Manassas, and then to Lexington. I had hoped to go to Appamattox and some more BRP yesterday, but the forecast compelled me to slab it on home. I think it started raining between Salem and C'burg and it was a pretty cold wet ride. Saw a rider on a nice GL1800 at a rest area heading home to Florida. He said his hands and feet were wet - I looked down and he was wearing tennis shoes, very wet tennis shoes.

In the class they stressed hanging off the seat and also leaning forward in curves - that made a huge difference in stability on freeway curves. Those little Rebel 250s with Velorex tubs were so much fun - I've got a KLR/650 that NEEDS a Velorex.

Let me know if you go to a rally in the Smokys next year. Thanks again.

Bill

Edited by GeorgiaBill 10/15/2009 2:09 PM
HOG
Posted 10/15/2009 3:14 PM (#46867 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Great to meet another winger. The magazine that comes with joining GWRRA is well worth the membership fee. On the Harley, I have to give it front brake in right turns, but neither Goldwing with Hannigan needs any help. Be sure to hollor when u comes this way again. You have a great looking ride!!
HOG
Posted 10/18/2009 10:06 PM (#46910 - in reply to #20070)

Regular

Hey Connie , How was Daytona? MB was a no show!! We sold the house so I know we'll not be back for fall MB bike week. Not sure about Spring MB bike week. Volvo has announced two weeks each month of 2010 Jan thru july they will be laid off. We hope to ride different area of the country, will let u know if we come that way.
herwing
Posted 10/27/2009 3:26 AM (#47042 - in reply to #46910)

Veteran

It was H-O-T in Daytona! Otherwise, it was fun - about the same as usual.
I didn't take my rig because it was so windy the day we left. They were calling for gusts of 50 MPH - not my cup of tea! And I was so glad on the way home that I didn't take it because the wind was awful most of the way home, especially, coming back up the mountain on I-77 to Fancy Gap. I thought it was going to blow us off the mountain - no kidding! After roasting in Daytona, I thought I'd freeze coming home! Boy, autumn weather can sure be fickle!

As promised, we blew the horn when we passed the Volvo plant (shortly before we got stuck in traffic because of a bad wreck).
redsoxcah
Posted 12/12/2009 5:56 PM (#48020 - in reply to #20070)
Subject: RE: Anyone in Virginia out there?

Heading down to Williamsburg VA for the holiday (xmass week). If the weather looks right, I may take the hack with me.

Anyone else thinking about the national Rally in Vermont 2010? I know I am going, and will probably take the family also for a lake vacation. It is a beautiful area.
kghale
Posted 12/29/2009 4:18 PM (#48306 - in reply to #20070)
Subject: RE: Anyone in Virginia out there?

Hi Eddie
I just saw your post . There are a few of us in Newport News. I might have seen you on the road. Mine is a Harley with a Motovation Roadster.
See Ya Ken
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software