Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  Use care in reading the advice of others. -> discuss USCA stuff -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You type "tomato"; I type "tomato". So what's the problem?

Business Plan-Input needed
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Use care in reading the advice of others. -> discuss USCA stuffMessage format

claude #3563
Posted 8/7/2007 8:46 PM (#28274 - in reply to #28269)
Subject: RE: Business Plan-Input needed

PROMOTE SIDECARING AND HAVE FUN.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Barend
Posted 5/24/2009 9:11 AM (#44179 - in reply to #28274)

This is obviously an older thread, but nevertheless a fascinating read , isn't it ? I am not a member of USCA, but then i just found this site about a week ago and have just recently decided to look at getting a chair. I will give you some insight in what I picked up on:

Registered users vs. guests: If i just want to read I do not per se have to sign in. I.e. how many of the guests are really registered users who just haven't bothered to sign in? I suppose you have to be signed in to post? Could the site recognize the users IP address and do an auto log in of sorts?

Colored print? Why print at all? Everyone on here obviously has a computer, send the newsletter online and save printing expense while gaining an easy reference source by archiving info.

Gain membership. An annual national or regional rally if fine, but it is for sidecarrists only (?) I belong to Venturerider.org, people organize 'meet and eats' all the time. It is not just for Venture riders, it is for all motorcycle riders, non members included, and yes, including sidecarrists. You have to be out there, to be visible to non sidecarrists. To me that would mean attending bike nights, poker runs, join other bike club events organize your own events (even if it is only three people) so that you can expose your passion and talk about it. It will gin interest and as a result membership.

Mission statement. Haven't found it yet, but like i said, I haven't been on here too long.

On the subject of volunteerism: If you volunteer to organize a rally, that is your job, before and during the rally, which means you should be available and recognizable to all comers. Your friends are there? Great, but you agreed to organize and run this thing, now do your job! Period.

There's always somebody ..... It is all too easy to bitch and complain. If you do not know why you are a member (even if it is some misguided notion that you "want to belong" or "I felt I should"), by all means: Leave! If you don't like something, suggest how to make it better! If you can't do that, shut up!

I am still trying to find my way around here, for now I'll chalk it up to being new here. But, ... for now I am wondering if things could be more user friendly. I'll let you know.
stevewoo
Posted 5/24/2009 11:33 AM (#44187 - in reply to #44179)

I'm betting you have found only the forum at this point. Click on the logo on the upper left of the screen or just go to www.sidecar.com. Lot's more there.

Edited by stevewoo 5/24/2009 11:34 AM
SidecarMike
Posted 5/24/2009 12:06 PM (#44188 - in reply to #44179)

Originally written by Barend on 5/24/2009 7:11 AM

This is obviously an older thread, but nevertheless a fascinating read , isn't it ? I am not a member of USCA, but then i just found this site about a week ago and have just recently decided to look at getting a chair. I will give you some insight in what I picked up on:

Registered users vs. guests: If i just want to read I do not per se have to sign in. I.e. how many of the guests are really registered users who just haven't bothered to sign in? I suppose you have to be signed in to post? Could the site recognize the users IP address and do an auto log in of sorts?

Colored print? Why print at all? Everyone on here obviously has a computer, send the newsletter online and save printing expense while gaining an easy reference source by archiving info.

Gain membership. An annual national or regional rally if fine, but it is for sidecarrists only (?) I belong to Venturerider.org, people organize 'meet and eats' all the time. It is not just for Venture riders, it is for all motorcycle riders, non members included, and yes, including sidecarrists. You have to be out there, to be visible to non sidecarrists. To me that would mean attending bike nights, poker runs, join other bike club events organize your own events (even if it is only three people) so that you can expose your passion and talk about it. It will gin interest and as a result membership.

Mission statement. Haven't found it yet, but like i said, I haven't been on here too long.

On the subject of volunteerism: If you volunteer to organize a rally, that is your job, before and during the rally, which means you should be available and recognizable to all comers. Your friends are there? Great, but you agreed to organize and run this thing, now do your job! Period.

There's always somebody ..... It is all too easy to bitch and complain. If you do not know why you are a member (even if it is some misguided notion that you "want to belong" or "I felt I should"), by all means: Leave! If you don't like something, suggest how to make it better! If you can't do that, shut up!

I am still trying to find my way around here, for now I'll chalk it up to being new here. But, ... for now I am wondering if things could be more user friendly. I'll let you know.

Not all members of USCA are computer users. Some who are, either don't have internet access or are on slow dial-up or sat feeds and still prefer as printed copy.

As far as a members only area, another club I belong to has a great approach to this. They have a password protected area with a single logon and password. On the day he sends the newsletter to the printer it gets uploaded to the website. At that time the newsletter editor sends out an email to all paid members with this month's password. Next month, a new password. A couple times a year, they give the password out on the website as a teaser, so nonmembers can see what they are missing.

Probably the easiest way I've heard of to manage the site. :0)
Loon
Posted 5/24/2009 1:00 PM (#44190 - in reply to #28053)

Some interesting thoughts, but I for one would always want a hard copy of the magazine. It is so hard to read the same article out in the back yard, under the tree or to make notes in the margins for future reference. The password protected access to the magazine is an interesting thought for quicker access, until the magazine arrives.
SidecarMike
Posted 5/24/2009 4:02 PM (#44195 - in reply to #44190)

Originally written by Loon on 5/24/2009 11:00 AM

Some interesting thoughts, but I for one would always want a hard copy of the magazine. It is so hard to read the same article out in the back yard, under the tree or to make notes in the margins for future reference. The password protected access to the magazine is an interesting thought for quicker access, until the magazine arrives.

That club gives a $15 a year discount to people who sign up for online only. It makes it much more affordable for some folks and makes for less clutter at my desk.
Bob Hunt
Posted 5/24/2009 7:21 PM (#44199 - in reply to #28053)

Interesting! Something to think about!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software