Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Riders Wanted -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Calm Down! It's just ONES and ZEROS!
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Any Sidecar Riders in Indianapolis Area?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Riders WantedMessage format

Glock23
Posted 8/12/2007 10:41 AM (#28466)
Subject: Any Sidecar Riders in Indianapolis Area?

I'm still trying to decide whether to abandon 2-wheel riding and go to a SC rig. I'd welcome a chance to see some rigs and talk to local riders about the pros and cons.

John
Noblesville IN
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bob Madigan
Posted 8/12/2007 12:51 PM (#28468 - in reply to #28466)
Subject: RE: Any Sidecar Riders in Indianapolis Area?

Veteran

There are a few of us in the Indianapolis area. There is also a loose knit club based here, the "Hoosier Hacks." We hold a campout / rally down at Muscatatuck park every September called the "So Long Summer." This year it's the weekend of September 7th / 8th. A really good chance to see some rigs and talk to a bunch of hack drivers.

I live in Indy but work in central Ohio so I'm away a lot. Next time I'm going to be home and will have some time I'll PM you to try to get together somewhere and talk sidecars. My rigs are both seperated right now but, with any luck, I'll have one of them back on the road soon.

Bob
Glock23
Posted 8/12/2007 2:34 PM (#28477 - in reply to #28466)

Thanks Bob, that would be great! I'm not sure we could make the September meet, but I'd like to get together. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I live in Noblesville. Phone number at home: 770-9316, and the cell: 508-7117.

My wife would prefer I didn't ride anything, but she thinks my FJR1300 is too heavy for me at age almost 75. She may be right. I think it could be that adding a sidecar to the FJR would solve some of those problems even though she still might not want to ride.

At least I couldn't drop the bike as I did a few weeks ago while pushing it - $1,200 damage and I don't have it back from the shop yet.

Looking forward to meeting you and maybe some of the others. Does the group have a website or a forum where I could begin to get acquainted?

John
Bob Madigan
Posted 8/13/2007 7:18 AM (#28502 - in reply to #28466)

Veteran

You might want to get in touch with Wayne Doenges, on here as Solo 1. He's about your length of life experience and a recent convert to the sidecar madness. He lives in New Haven, In. Has a Valkyrie / Champion rig, very nice.

Hoosier Hacks doesn't have a website but if you contact Fred Hunteman, President of Hoosier Hacks at f.hunteman@sbcglobal.net he'll let you know where and when the next meeting is.

Meanwhile check back here in a few days or so as other Hoosiers check in. I know of some others up your way who might just chime in. Check out the SCT site on Yahoo as well.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/
Glock23
Posted 8/13/2007 7:42 AM (#28503 - in reply to #28466)

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up on them.

My wife, very lukewarm on the sidecar idea, seems to light up her eyes when a trike is mentioned. She remembers the comfort of riding our GoldWings in the days when she could still climb on a bike. I will have to point out that you still have to figure out how to get on a trike, same as a two-wheeler. But at least there's a little interest there so maybe I can build on that.

John
Bob Madigan
Posted 8/13/2007 8:57 AM (#28507 - in reply to #28503)

Veteran

Once she gets a chance to sit in the relative comfort of most sidecars she'll be sold. My Mom, in her 70's, actually enjoyed getting stuffed down into my Spirit of America (a fairly small chair) for rides. Not having to look over your shoulders to see where she's going or worrying about falling off if she should nod off are major selling points.
Glock23
Posted 8/13/2007 9:37 AM (#28508 - in reply to #28507)

She sat in one but it was quite small, attached to a scooter. It didn't have much in the way of seating or padding, but she thinks that's what sidecars are like because that's her only experience. With all her aches and pains she'll not only need easy access but also a comfortable seating arrangement.

I hope she can learn to love sidcars - they are a whole lot cheaper than most of the trikes I've seen and don't use up quite as much garage space.

John
HDKeith
Posted 8/15/2007 8:57 PM (#28600 - in reply to #28466)

The first week of July I took a camping trip from northern Indiana to southeast Ohio. Met up with my parents. Mom is 79 and Dad is 80. They both rode in the hack with me and both enjoyed it very much. Just this past sunday my Aunt(Mom's younger sister) told me that Mom told her how much she enjoyed an afternoon riding around the Hocking Hills area in the sidecar. When we started out she was afraid it would be a scary ride. but by the time the afternoon was over she hated to go back to riding in the motorhome. If you are ever in the Syracuse/Lake Wawasee area I would be glad to give you and your wife a ride in the sidecar to see if you like it.

Keith
Glock23
Posted 8/17/2007 8:15 PM (#28708 - in reply to #28466)

Keith, Thanks for your kind offer! I have no plans to be in your area at the moment but if we do get there I will certainly get in touch! We both work so getting out of town is somewht dificult, since the weekends are for getting recharged for the next week and doing the jobs that must be done around the house.

with regards,

John
solo1
Posted 8/19/2007 1:20 PM (#28765 - in reply to #28466)

As Bob said I'm in northern Indiana and a recent convert to a sidecar.

IMHO If the wife has any qualms about riding she would be happier in a sidecar. Neither a trike or sidecar rig leans in curves any more, which would make it tougher to hold on as a passenger on a trike. However, in a sidecar, it would be like her own small car even with a seatbelt if you desire. I also believe that in going the sidecar route it is a total commitment, if you set it up as a rig, make no compromises with no thoughts of going back and forth two wheels to three.

The sidecar that I installed is a Motorvation Spyder. The bike is a Honda Valkyrie a very suitable tug. It's a beautiful car but not suited for anyone that is large. There are plenty of choices of sidecars, however, that would be a luxury ride for your wife.

I'm soon to be 80 years old and the sidecar has saved my knees and no worries about dropping the bike. Butt puckering sharp turns at slow speed are a thing of the past, gravel roads and bad surfacesm the same. However, be prepared for exercising your shoulder and arm muscles more. I would be very glad to help in any way that I can, take you or your wife for rides (sorry, I couldn't let you drive it, a rig is so much different but you can learn, at 79 ,I did.) .We installed the car ourselves so we gained a little knowledge. I'm about 120 miles from Indy and available. I would be glad to hear from you through an email from this website.

Wayne, Solo1
Glock23
Posted 8/19/2007 2:34 PM (#28768 - in reply to #28466)

Wayne, Thanks for writing! I had good intentions to contact you but things have been hectic around here. I just had back surgery and my wife (a school librarian) is just starting back for the school year. We've just finished an extensive (for us) landscaping project. I just returned to work after a week of recupertion from the surgery. One thing after another! And on top of that I am trying to learn how to use this new computer, an iMac, after a lifetime of PCs. (Dang, the print on the screen is small!)

Maybe we could figure out a weekend day, perhaps a Saturday, when we could come to you to see your rig and perhaps get a ride in it, and talk sidecars. My wife is so busy with her work that it's hard to get her to go anywhere but maybe she'd do it.

I have been reading a lot about hacks and now realize that it's two wheels or three, but not both. I'm about ready to give up two, I think. If we had more garage room I could have one of each but I don't think Beth would like having her car sit outside!

My email address is: jfmoemd@insightbb.com and my cell phone is: 317-508-7117. Home phone is: 317-770-9316.

I'm still trying to decided which sidecar is most adaptable to my Yamaha FJR1300 and also have some kind of tip-up access for Beth. She has very little use of her left leg and walks with a cane.

With kindest regards,

John
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software