Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I hear voices, and they don't like you.
- (Added by: Wngnut)

harley rearmount bracket
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 1/25/2004 6:22 PM (#2090)
Subject: harley rearmount bracket

hello the house!

i am looking for a part number and/or the part itself. its the rear sidecar mount to fit square swing arms. thanks foe any help.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 1/26/2004 5:29 PM (#2109 - in reply to #2090)
Subject: RE: harley rearmount bracket

Expert

The part # should be in your nearest Harley dealer's parts book. I'm sure they would have to order it since it's part of the TLE connection kit.

Posted 1/26/2004 9:26 PM (#2110 - in reply to #2090)

well thanks, but whats TLE ?
i got all the front parts and most of the brake line. i am thinking that since the frame of this car is a 1959 part number, there must be different rear brackets for different models, while front hardware is likely the same.

a ridgid, round swing arm, box swing arm fl, and a box swing arm flt would all be different. if so, i am hoping to chase down a used bracket for the back. or even a new one hoping i dont have to buy all the parts i already got. if i had the part number for the bracket, i can search it on the net.

thanks for the respone - hacksaw
Hack'n
Posted 1/26/2004 10:26 PM (#2112 - in reply to #2110)

Expert

The TLE is the model designation for the FLH FLT Harley sidecars.
Earlier model mounting parts are available from V Twin MFG. They are on the net. They are more likely to have them than the dealer.
The 1959 H-Ds had the round swing-arm. I believe the rectangular(Square) swing-arm is 1970or later. The earlier models can be retrofitted with late model connectors

Posted 1/26/2004 10:40 PM (#2114 - in reply to #2090)

ah yes! vtwin! i fergets about them. thanks! we shal see what they got. i got a cat here someplace.

the frame part no. is xxxxxx-59. the car itself i think is from late 70,s or early 80's because of the mag wheel. but they may be still using them for all i know.
Hack'n
Posted 1/27/2004 1:53 PM (#2115 - in reply to #2114)

Expert

I'd go by the frame #. The wheels are interchangable for the many years that 16" wheels were used.
hdrghack
Posted 1/28/2004 6:34 PM (#2122 - in reply to #2090)

Expert

hacksaw I got the rear swingarm bracket for my squaretube swingarm from v-twin as Hack'n said.Mine was purchased about 11 years ago for about $90. At that time they had quite a selection of sidecar parts and bodies too. Now depending in the year of the mag wheel on the frame the previous owner may have changed the axle to install the mag as I did on mine.

Edited by hdrghack 1/28/2004 6:36 PM

Posted 1/28/2004 7:03 PM (#2123 - in reply to #2090)

thanks, i did find the parts on vtwins web site. something was 90 bucks, wether or not it was the complete bracket, and i need another 2 or 3 90 dollar parts becomes a question. HOWEVER! i go on ebay looking for a used one on auction. anyways, there is a auction for harley car manual. the auction shoed a pic of a page in the maual. well lo and frukkin' behold!
it appears to show a shovelhead 4 speed frame, with the swivel bolting up directly to the passenger peg mounts. the 2 holes in the plate/swivel sure look like the match up! yahooo! i hope! check out te auction if its still on. that would explain why i cannot find the bracket. maybe i never had one. if this is the case, then i didnt misrepresent my auction, or my ads to anyone. the guy buying the car is on his own in that case. i no longer feel guilty for saying i had everything. the set manual i got does show a bracket. maybe there was 2 differnt car wheel bases.

thanks all!!!!!
hdrghack
Posted 1/30/2004 8:08 PM (#2152 - in reply to #2090)

Expert

hacksaw I think that you may be refering to TWO DIFFERENT mounting locations 1st was the rear mount to the swing arm like what is on my older bike and car. This rear mount worked on the rigid style frames thru the lug that was on the frame.The early round swingarm had a lug on it and in later years with the "square swingarm" that has the disc brake is when the two piece mounting block was needed to mount the car to the rear of the bike. The 2nd one that you describe now to the passanger floor board area was used in later years I believe in the late 80s,If you have a knuckle joint similar to the front lower mount,that should mount to the swingarm you may want to look at the pictures again,but at this point I am thinking that somebody may have taken a hacksaw to your frame.

Posted 1/31/2004 12:31 AM (#2158 - in reply to #2090)

there is a book on ebay a day or so back. listed under hacksaw parts. its an antique cycle supply softcover manual for hd sidecars. opicture in the auction is a page from the manual. cle conection kit. the bracket is clearly shown bolted to the foiot rest mounting block. some guys say they dont like that setup because on their bike, that bracket covers the frame numbers.

the book is for 36 to 79 models. the bike frame in the pic is 4 speed frame certainly. i have been told changs occurred after the 79 run. the swivel and all looks just like on the page here in this ebay manual.

we shall see. thanks for the respons. hack safe!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software