Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I am in shape. Round is a shape.
- (Added by: DAVE)

Harley toe adjustment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 2/10/2004 8:44 PM (#2244)
Subject: Harley toe adjustment

Just put a 79 harley sidecar on my 70 electra-glide. I have 2+ on toe. It needs 1/2 to 3/4. From what I can see in the shop manual I ordered, (big joke) you are supposed to adjust the rear connector for toe. This won't work. I see no way to adjust the toe. Have no pics in the book and it has little information. Can anyone help me with this? This is my first rig and I'm dying to ride it. Thanks, Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 2/10/2004 11:37 PM (#2245 - in reply to #2244)
Subject: RE: Harley toe adjustment

Expert

On some models there is a clamp with two bolts on the "J" bar under the front part of the sidecar body which adjusts toe-in. I'd try about 1" of toe in. Don't worry about lean-out because the Harley has lean-in for some reason.

Posted 2/13/2004 12:19 AM (#2287 - in reply to #2244)

Thanks for the info. I tried that but since the front and back connections are the same height all it did was change the lean in the bike and changed the toe about 1/4 of an inch. I now have 1 and 3/4 + toe. Still a bit too much. Will tighten up the neck bearing a little and take it down the street as soon as it quits raining here in the Florida panhandle.
Thanks, Jim

Posted 3/12/2004 7:07 PM (#2598 - in reply to #2244)

I put a 73' Harley Side Car on my 70' FLH that I had upgraded to disk brakes. With the upgrade I had to of course change the swing-arm too. The swing-arms from 73' up were square (actually rectangular) rather than round. The rear mount on the 73' side car clamped onto the swing arm directly behind the shock mount. I too had the problem of too much toe-in. I corrected this by removing the screw that holds the front swivel connection on the side car into the sleeve type end of the frame where it's at, and then using a pickel fork and heat along with a big hammer to drive the ball joint type swivel connection out of the sleeve it is pressed into until I achieved the desired amount of toe-in. The end of the shaft that the swivel ball joint type connection is part of was out beyond where the screw would tighten back against but it was so tight (WOW!)that it didn't matter. There is no way it could ever move!
Worked for me! Goes down the road just fine even at speeds of 100 mi/hr +.
Had to tighten neck bearings and stock steering dampner friction disks too.

Posted 3/14/2004 11:15 PM (#2708 - in reply to #2598)

Thanks
Have been looking at heating or reworking the front attachment somehow. Have just bought an adjustable front end and want to get this taken care of before it comes in.
Thanks for everyones help! Take care, Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software