Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed."
- (Added by: DAVE)

Trying to find replacement tires
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Bob Stock
Posted 3/11/2004 7:53 PM (#2581)
Subject: Trying to find replacement tires

USCA Webmaster

Hi everyone,

I have been finding myself running around in circles the last two weeks or so in trying to find a new set of tires. I run a combo of a Teraplane hooked to a 92 Suzuki GSX 1100 G (great bike, great car.) I am going into my second season with the side car and my rear tire was not that new when I put the sidecar on. Now it is time for replacing. The problem is that I want to go to a flat profile for both front and rear and can not find a set that will work. The bike uses 110/80 V18 on the front and 160/70 V17 on the rear. The speed rating for the tires is not important,(most of the time) it's the 17 inchers on the back that are driving me crazy. Do any of you folks out there know of a solution? That is, a solution that won't cost me more then the bike is worth.

Thanks for any help;

Bob Stock
Top of the page Bottom of the page
claude #3563
Posted 3/11/2004 8:14 PM (#2582 - in reply to #2581)
Subject: RE: Trying to find replacement tires

Expert

Bob,
17" is a little tough to deal with. I have had a couple of bikes with 17" wheels and still do actually.
*We ran antique car tires for a while but found them to no be the answer.(Wear was not too good and inconsistant..plus...they had a hydroplaneing problem under certain conditions).
*Ran trials tires for a while...real 'squirmy' when new due to the knobs on them flexing. Wore real fast when new but lasted better after they 'squared off'.Were excellent in the mud or snow for the price. Could do very impressive burn-outs and leave black marks until the throttle was backed off..lol. The ones to get were the ones with a lot of small squarish knobs on them..NOT the real agressive knobs
* The best tire from our experience has been the Dunlop 491 motorcycle tire. It lasts well for a cycle tire and much longer than either of the above. Drawback is that they are not inexpensive.
With all of that being said you may, if you are planning on keeping the bike for a long time, consider a wheel on the rear that would allow you to run a car tire. The last 165R15 tire I bought was on sale at Pep Boys for 35 bucks...weigh that against what the dunlop costs and compare the wear and the cost of the wheel may be a good value for you.
There are various wheel sources out there and a huge range of pricing. If you look on the homepage here under sidecar parts manufacturers and suppliers (or something like that) you will find a couple. Hary Tarzian of HT Wheels and Norm Potruff are friends who do a nice job at a decent price...check them out.
Oh...fro the 18" front maybe a Metzler Block K would work well. It is square tread and made for sidecar usage.Dauntless and others sell these at a decent price..or you could probably order one locally.
Hope this helps some...maybe others have different experiences to share with you too.
Best wishes,
Bob Stock
Posted 3/15/2004 9:49 AM (#2715 - in reply to #2582)

USCA Webmaster

Claude,

Thanks for the good info on tires. I will most likly go with the K-Block on the front and the Dunlop on the rear for now. This will get me through this year and allow me to start saveing up for a new rear wheel.

Again, thanks for the help.

Bob Stock
normpottruff
Posted 4/13/2004 1:30 AM (#3098 - in reply to #2581)

Good Day,
Xpedia Tires at http://www.xpediatyre.co.uk/tyremenu.html offers a 175/55 X 17 on their website and they ship worldwide. So if you've got a few mm of sideclearance to play with they could be what you need.
Regards,
Norm
claude #3563
Posted 4/13/2004 1:42 AM (#3099 - in reply to #3098)

Expert

That tire is a little over 100 bucks. Any idea how much shipping may be on it?
My concern on a tire like that is if there needed to be a replacement in an emergency the real options could be pretty limited. On a trip the only option may be jsut to go back to a motorcycle tire.
normpottruff
Posted 4/14/2004 12:29 AM (#3108 - in reply to #3099)

Good Day Claude,
I recently ordered a pair of the 175R55/16 tires from them and with shipping it came to $375 so I guess you can figure that it just about doubles the price but divide that by two and $187.50 is in the range of many big motorcycle tires and cheaper than some but these car tires have the advantage of running a lot longer. The chances of a catastrophic failure is remote with modern tires but if it does happen your option is just to grab the nearest/cheapest motorcycle tire in an appropriate size and carry on because you are still using a standard motorcycle wheel. Look at it this way, you could put on a $200 motorcycle tire before you leave on your trip and when it wears out, much more quickly than the car tire, or if it is somehow damaged you still have to go to the local shop and buy another 17 inch motorcycle tire or you can leave on a $200 car tire, which you know should last a long time, but if it did have an impact with a broken wine jug you still just go to the local shop and replace it with a 17 inch motorcycle tire. Right? So what have you got to lose? And that's better than the options facing folks who are running 135R15's who can't or shouldn't grab a 15 inch motorcycle tire as a replacement in the same circumstances and still there are a lot of people out there, including me sometimes, who are happily rolling along on the 135's without a worry.
Regards,
Norm
Ursa da Grizz
Posted 12/8/2004 6:00 PM (#5576 - in reply to #3098)

I think these guys ran afoul of Microsoft. Xpedia.com is the MS online travel service. The tire company has a popup window on their home page announcing they can't sell from that site and refering customers to Kuhmo Tires.
claude #3563
Posted 12/9/2004 7:42 AM (#5581 - in reply to #5576)

Expert

click here:
http://www.xpediatyre.co.uk/aboutus.html

Norm..you reading this? Do you have a better link?
Claude
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software