Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck
- (Added by: DAVE)

need sidecar for Honda gl 1100
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 3/12/2004 6:21 PM (#2597)
Subject: need sidecar for Honda gl 1100

Hi all, back again, after a long hiatus. Still have the gl 1100 with velorex sidecar, that I found out here is a bad setup. I bought it as a combo, not knowing anything about sidecars, still don't know anything about sidecars

Well, I'm finally taking my rig to a local dealer/installer (he's listed on this site) to see what he recommends I do. I haven't used it much, but when I do it seems to slip/get out of adjustment somehow, left turns cause both bike & hack to lean in and stay there, still very spongy too.

I am still hoping to keep this combo, but was wondering if anyone could recommend hacks better suited for this bike (bigger/heavier). I'm sure the dealer/installer will say I need another one, but would like your ideas as to what will work, maybe I can make a trade with him for something that he has.

I am economically minded It's my second ride, and will only be used occasionally, mainly to take my 5 year old granddaughter for rides around town, no long hauls. Thanks. Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 3/15/2004 3:02 PM (#2724 - in reply to #2597)
Subject: RE: need sidecar for Honda gl 1100

Expert

If you like the looks of the sidecar and want to keep it, upgrade the suspension with the heavy duty suspension option that uses a swing-arm with a 1" axle and a modular auto style wheel with a flat tread tire. That will make a nice tight setup with a tire that lasts a long time. I, (and others) make a conversion kit for this.
For the slipping frame mount, have the u-clamp spot welded on both ends. Right now you are probably clamped paint to paint surface and that isn't a good structural connection since paint compresses and wears off with friction. An extra lower rear strut can be added easily to make a 5 point connection, which is much solider. A lot of training rigs (which take a lot of abuse) use this mounting.
JayDauntless
Posted 3/15/2004 4:06 PM (#2726 - in reply to #2597)

I am of the opinion that a Velorex even with a larger wheel and axle simply does not belong on this bike. I think you are on the right track looking for a stronger sidecar. Also I find that the "Universal" mounts that Velorex runs leave a lot to be desired.
The Velorex is a great little sidecar if mounted on the right bike, say around 400cc or so. I have found that I often times will hear people say that "you do not want a sidecar they handle poorly" when I get to talking about it to them more often then not the problem is that they had a Velorex installed (often by a profetional) onto a bike way to large for the sidecar. There are companies that advertize on this site that have real bolt on non univeral mounts for your bike.
Jay

Posted 3/15/2004 5:16 PM (#2729 - in reply to #2597)

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really thrilled with the Velorex, just kinda hate the idea of changing and all. I'm not even sure it is set up properly, due to the spongyness and slipping mounts, that's why I plan to take it to this installer, for some expert advice on my particular installation. I have thought of drilling a hole thru the slipping mount & putting a bolt thru it so it wouldn't slip, and adding an additional top mount to reduce spongyness (both top mounts now point in the same direction), but I'll wait and see what this guy has to say. Am taking it in Tuesday.

I agree it is too light for this bike (too many wheelies already) and the only reason I'd consider keeping it is because of the limited use it is going to get. Thanks again. Paul

Posted 3/16/2004 5:34 AM (#2738 - in reply to #2597)

I have an 82 Goldwing Interstate with a California sidecar. It seems to be a good set up. You can jump up and down on the 1100's left foot peg and the car wont lift/budge at all. The car is solid and stable and has a flip up front end that makes getting in and out easy. It looks great with the Goldwing and its smooth as silk on the highway........There is alittle bit of wobble at low speeds, but with both hands on the bars its not even noticable. California Sidecars has mounts/brackets specifically for that application. You can usually pick up a used car on Ebay at a reasonable price

NoBrakes
Hack'n
Posted 3/16/2004 12:59 PM (#2745 - in reply to #2726)

Expert

Another opinion.
I feel Jay is being a bit restrictive in his assessment of the Velorex sidecars. There are probably more Velorexes mounted on Japanese, British and Italian cruisers than any other brand. The 562s are ranging in serial numbers well over 301,000 as I write. However, not everyone is a Velorex dealer and would perhaps like to promote their own products. That's the American way. No sidecar is ideal for all motorcycles or all uses. We have installed Velorex 562s on bikes as an economical entry level sidecar, then remounted a larger and more expensive car later as the clients proficiency increased. By the same token, we have installed large, expensive sidecars and had the customer trade them back in for a Velorex because they were too cumbersome and were too hard to handle without spending a lot more money. We never recommend a light sidecar for touring or high speed use on a heavy bike. Many folks need a third wheel for balance and are not interested in speed or "flying the chair" as it were. Some just want to putt around the neighborhood or go to the store. Some just want one for temporary use and don't want to spend a lot of money for a hack that they will just have to sell later or use for a planter.
Like Smith and Wesson products, Velorex products are well made, but perhaps not always used properly.
There's no need for an answer to this post, it's only my opinion.

Edited by Hack'n 3/16/2004 1:10 PM
SidecarMike
Posted 3/16/2004 2:48 PM (#2747 - in reply to #2597)

Expert

I can see where Hack'n is coming from, but I think you must also look at the idea of resale. Just because you may not go over 30mph doesn't mean the next owner won't and then come back on you if he has problems. I still feel that the Velorex, Spirit, Cozy, HitchHiker, and similar sidecars are much better bets on smaller bikes. I had a HitchHiker on a GL1200 and could lift it off the ground simply changing lanes on the highway. When I contacted the company, thinking that I had made a mistake in setting it up, they suggested that it was designed for much smaller bikes than mine and that I should trade it in on their double wide model or mount it on something much smaller. Like everyone else though, this is only my opinion and others will disagree. Being the webmaster only means that I know something about computers. It doesn't necessarily mean that I know much about sidecars.

Edited by SidecarMike 3/16/2004 2:51 PM
claude #3563
Posted 3/16/2004 9:39 PM (#2754 - in reply to #2747)

Expert

For what it's worth Mike I agree on your views that the sidecar is really too light.
I also agree that you know your computers and I am sure glad...keep up the good work!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software