Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> On the road with ... -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: KEEP THE GREASY SIDE DOWN AND SHINY SIDE UP

Onward into the fog...on a sidecar of course! (Blog)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> On the road with ...Message format

larrylarry75
Posted 12/15/2008 12:41 AM (#40763)
Subject: Onward into the fog...on a sidecar of course! (Blog)

Did you ever get the urge to see Alaska from a slightly different perspective? This blog is about what happens when two, uhh, older gentlemen decided to hit the trail to Prudhoe Bay on their sidecars.

http://larrylarry75.blogspot.com/

This Blog is my 2nd attempt at setting one up and it's still a learning experience for me. The best way to view it is to select the Blog Archive button and then select whatever posting date you want to view. Our actual departure date from Bellingham, WA was July 15th; prior to that I rode up to Vancouver Island, BC for a week and took the haul road out to Winter Harbour while Mac was traveling from Iowa to Bellingham. There are pics of both journeys and most of the photos will enlarge if you click on them. We each traveled a little over 8000 miles through all sorts of weather; sunshine, rain, monsoon type winds, you name it, and the overall ride was fabulous. We camped whenever possible, probably 4 out of 5 days. By the end of the trip my rig was on it's last leg but made it home. Mac wasn't so lucky, his new Ural Patrol ate itself and ultimately had to be trailered home. A new engine was required but at least it was covered by warranty. My Aprilia had to have a ton of stuff replaced, new chain, sprockets, idler rollers, lots of electrics, the list is long. Tires were a major issue on Mac's rig, mine managed to get by on two sets, the 2nd of which is in nearly new condition.

If you've ever thought about doing the Alcan highway a.k.a. the Haul road or Top of the World highway you should, it's well worth doing and probably one of the most exciting adventures you can go on. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Best,

LL

Edited by larrylarry75 12/15/2008 1:52 AM

(Larry - Bledsoe 1C.JPG)

(001B.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Larry - Bledsoe 1C.JPG (42KB - 55 downloads)
Attachments 001B.JPG (40KB - 50 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidehackRalf
Posted 12/15/2008 8:02 PM (#40779 - in reply to #40763)
Subject: RE: Onward into the fog...on a sidecar of course! (Blog)

Hi LL
I just skimmed the surface of your blog. Looks great! I am the Montana guy riding the sidecar rig you have a picture of at Chicken. I am not as good at writing as you are. I have a journal that I am working on with pictures and maybe sometime it will see the light of day. We had pretty good luck (only 6 days waiting for a new alternator at Liard Hot Springs campground/lodge) not a bad place to break down and then later a flat tire near Grande Prairie AB.
Hope to see you again, maybe Chelan next summer.
Ralph
larrylarry75
Posted 12/16/2008 8:15 PM (#40796 - in reply to #40779)

Hi Ralph,
I guess if you read the last of the blog entries you know why Mac didn't show up at your place for tire support. Travelin' is difficult with a blown engine, eh? Thanks again for your kind offer, we'll be on the road again for sure.
Best,
LL
Beemerchef
Posted 12/18/2008 8:01 AM (#40815 - in reply to #40796)

Great Blog! Thanks for keeping us company here...
Have a great Holiday...
Ara & Spirit
larrylarry75
Posted 12/18/2008 11:47 PM (#40826 - in reply to #40815)

Thank you for your kind remarks Ara.
Best Wishes for the Holidays,
LL

Edited by larrylarry75 12/18/2008 11:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software