Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It is hard to sling mudd and not get splattered.

DIY RIG BUILDING
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 3/15/2004 1:04 PM (#2720)
Subject: DIY RIG BUILDING

I NEED SOME BASIC SPECS/DIMENSIONS FOR A FREE LEANING RIG THAT I AM BUILDING ON MY 1998 BMW R1100R,LIKE LEAD OF THE SIDECAR WHEEL,ANGLE OF THE BIKE LEAN AND ANY OTHER INPUT ,FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS ONE,OR CAN GIVE ME SOME POINTERS. ALSO SOME INPUT REGARDING THE "EASY DRIVE " CONCEPT BY THE GERMAN "MOBEC"SIDECAR BUILDING FIRM.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
claude #3563
Posted 3/15/2004 8:29 PM (#2735 - in reply to #2720)
Subject: RE: DIY RIG BUILDING

Expert

George,
If you are talking about a rig simiar to an Armec sidewinder which many refer to as an articulating sidecar here are some leads:
Gary Haines From Hack'd Mag has some experience with this type of rig.
A member at SCT had built one for a Valkarie recently and said it works well. I do not have his email but if you post there I think he would respond.See address below.
Dave S. a member here and at SCT has an ARMEC Sidewinder on a BMW GS.

Hack'n
Posted 11/29/2004 1:43 PM (#5480 - in reply to #2720)

Expert

The "Riding with a sidecar" book has pretty much what you are looking for as to technical points. It is available for downloading or a copy could be ordered from USCA.

I would think you would use Heim joint attachments for the free leaner. I couldn't imagine trying to use ball and collet fittings for hinges.
Several vendors have "Universal mounting kits" which employ tubes and clamps, clevises and heim joints, that would be adaptable to most tubular sidecar frames for rigging your free leaner. Check here and at Sidecar Industry Council site for them.
claude #3563
Posted 11/29/2004 6:43 PM (#5482 - in reply to #2720)

Expert

Okay it sounded from your post that you were building a leaner type rig. If you are building a conventional rig and wish to use the ball and collet connectors for the bottom mounts you may check with Jay at Dauntless Motors.com. He just may be able to fix you up. Another option , which may or may no be appealing to you, is to just discard the ball and collet setup and go with something more conventional.
For the top frame mounts you could go with a variety of systems. I like the frame clamps that Motorvation makes but there are others out there that are good too. You coul dalways fab your own up as well. This is not rocket science but just make sure they are strong enough. The adage 'build it stout out of things you know about' holds true.

Posted 12/1/2004 6:47 PM (#5496 - in reply to #2720)

Some time ago I read an article and saw photos of a dual-purpose motorcycle and sidecar in which the motorcyce was free to lean but the sidecar remained level. The sidecar mounts extended beneath the centerline (between the wheels) of the motorcycle. The system looked reasonably simple and by all accounts was effective.

Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software