Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  Use care in reading the advice of others. -> Forum Help -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
- (Added by: DAVE)

Photo Album???????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Use care in reading the advice of others. -> Forum HelpMessage format

SidecarMike
Posted 2/24/2009 12:20 PM (#42230)
Subject: Photo Album???????

Expert

I received an email today from someone needing help mounting a Ural sidecar to his Valkyrie. I sent him to my Album to see the subframe photos and mounts. Imagine my surprise to find the folder empty! I did a little checking and see that nearly every album there is empty as well. The Albums were a great reference. I send people there constantly when they are trying to identify a sidecar, or wondering how one will look on a specific bike.
What happened????? Some warning would have been nice. Some of those photos were from a PC that crashed. I would have liked to copy them to photobucket or someplace friendly if I had known this was going to happen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Joyce
Posted 2/24/2009 12:32 PM (#42235 - in reply to #42230)
Subject: RE: Photo Album???????

Expert

Mike- Rob has them safely tucked away and they will be back soon!

"In the coming weeks we will be upgrading the forum software to the latest version. This new software will fix the current problems because it has several improvements. But, in order to buy me some more time to get this upgrade tested and ready, I've had to make some changes to the current system. I've removed a portion of attachments and photos from the current forums to reduce the size of the database. These items were posted before approximately May 2008. If your favorite photo has disappeared please don't panic. I will be adding these older items back in when we've completed the upgrade."

SidecarMike
Posted 2/24/2009 12:46 PM (#42236 - in reply to #42235)

Expert

Thanks Joyce. You scared me.
Concho
Posted 2/24/2009 1:35 PM (#42237 - in reply to #42236)

Regular

Originally written by SidecarMike on 2/24/2009 12:46 PM

There are many FREE Photo Album sites currently on the internet
where photos can be stored, as well as creating your own webpage
space provided by most Internet Service Providers. Once the photos
are stored in an album or on your web page, you can easily enter
them into messages posted here by using the following HTML tag.

This would greatly decrease the database bandwidth and upkeep on
the system.

Creating your own homepage isn't as difficult as it seems and there
is plenty of info on the net to help you with the HTML language.
SidecarMike
Posted 2/24/2009 2:29 PM (#42241 - in reply to #42237)

Expert

Originally written by Concho on 2/24/2009 11:35 AM

Originally written by SidecarMike on 2/24/2009 12:46 PM

There are many FREE Photo Album sites currently on the internet
where photos can be stored, as well as creating your own webpage
space provided by most Internet Service Providers. Once the photos
are stored in an album or on your web page, you can easily enter
them into messages posted here by using the following HTML tag.

This would greatly decrease the database bandwidth and upkeep on
the system.

Creating your own homepage isn't as difficult as it seems and there
is plenty of info on the net to help you with the HTML language.
Yes, I know. I use Photobucket and have other web sites as well. When I set this site up, I created the Album area to give users a central location where they could find the information they need without having to follow old links that may or may not still work. Unfortunately, free sites like Photobucket, Flickr, and others come and go, often without warning. Likewise, many dial up users either are not given webspace or must pay extra for it.
My wife and I are currently house hunting. One of the homes is fairly remote and only dialup is practical. The local provider wants $39 per month for minimal service, wants an additional $9.99 for each email address and an additional $19.99 per megabyte for webspace.

By the time I was done, that would be almost twice what I now pay Charter for 16MB service.
geek_law
Posted 2/24/2009 5:22 PM (#42250 - in reply to #42241)

Veteran

One of the homes is fairly remote and only dialup is practical. The local provider wants $39 per month for minimal service, wants an additional $9.99 for each email address and an additional $19.99 per megabyte for webspace.

By the time I was done, that would be almost twice what I now pay Charter for 16MB service.

I was in your situation a few years back. I ended up going with satalite service. It may be worth looking into. It sucks compared with cable, DLS, or Fiberoptis, but compared to dialup, its a very good alternative. There was some upfront costs for the dish and install, then of course a monthly fee.

The service was through either dish netowrk or direct TV, don't remember which.

Edited by geek_law 2/24/2009 5:23 PM
SidecarMike
Posted 2/24/2009 6:00 PM (#42253 - in reply to #42250)

Expert

Originally written by geek_law on 2/24/2009 3:22 PM

One of the homes is fairly remote and only dialup is practical. The local provider wants $39 per month for minimal service, wants an additional $9.99 for each email address and an additional $19.99 per megabyte for webspace.

I was in your situation a few years back. I ended up going with satalite service. It may be worth looking into. It sucks compared with cable, DLS, or Fiberoptis, but compared to dialup, its a very good alternative. There was some upfront costs for the dish and install, then of course a monthly fee.

The service was through either dish netowrk or direct TV, don't remember which.

Thanks, but we just passed on that house. In 8 years with Charter we've never been down and never had a surprise. We just instructed the Realtor to show us only homes within the Charter area.

Hack'n
Posted 5/27/2009 5:09 PM (#44274 - in reply to #42230)

Expert

On 2/24/09 it was said that deleted photos would be soon replaced in the albums.
Today, 5/27/09 I note 6 of my albums have no photos. Many other's albums also have no photos in them.

If they are not going to be replaced why not delete the album name reference to avoid confusion?

Hack'n
SinisterNerd
Posted 5/27/2009 11:16 PM (#44285 - in reply to #42230)

Lonnie,

It's completely my fault. I didn't mean to take a 3 month hiatus. I got off to a pretty good start but then real work kick back into full gear. I haven't had as much time to help out USCA or play with my rig as I would have liked. I also tried to tackle too much at once. I wanted to launch the forum upgrade with a new look and feel and possibly a storefront/membership signup and pay online area.

With in the next week I will get the forum software upgraded. It'll be presentable, all the data will be back, and it will have a handful of new features and improvements. But I'll put the rest of the items aside until I get the data back.

There's a wealth of knowledge on this site. I'd like to make it more accessible and maybe move some of the more useful articles to the main USCA website. Forums are a great source of info, but a step by step article on certain topics can be more useful. Once I get the forums stable I'll probably put out a call for some authors to contribute to a "How To" section on the main web page. I'll either help them publish these or find some software so that they can do it themselves.

Everyone's been very patient. Give me a few more days and I'll try to make things better.

Rob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software