Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It is what it is, as it were." - ADG
- (Added by: Boltsrightup)

New hacker in Florida
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 3/28/2004 10:27 AM (#2842)
Subject: New hacker in Florida

Hi guys -

I'm the newest kid on your forum block, but I've been riding 2 and 3 wheelers for 65 years now, a good honest million miles (with not one accident!), all over America, Central America, Mexico, Europe and Japan. My first motorcycle was a Simplex Servicycle, if you go back that far. And if you'll go to www.shakuhachi.ws/helix.htm you'll see the nifty Helix/Velorex rig I built three years ago. I live in Mayo, Florida, on the bank of the Suwannee River, on Highway 27, about half way between Gainesville and Tallahassee. Love to hear from any of you. Cheers. Gene
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hdrghack
Posted 3/28/2004 11:13 AM (#2845 - in reply to #2842)
Subject: RE: New hacker in Florida

Expert

Dr.GeneIn my garage next to a couple of H.D.'s and a Honda sits a Simplex although it doesn't run yet they are pretty neet

Posted 3/28/2004 11:22 AM (#2846 - in reply to #2845)

Man! I wish you lived next door to me - I'd help you get it restored!

Fact is, I'd love to have one, and rig it with a light, antique sidecar!

I loved my Servi, and put a LOT of miles on it, all over Florida. This was before the Cushmans really hit.

When you get it runnin', you'll have to carry a container of powdered rosin in your saddle bags, to sprinkle on the belts in a rain. Otherwise you ain't goin' nowhere! And, if the plug gets the least bit oily, you'll push it forever without getting it running.

But they were fantastic machines.

I finally traded mine for a Fiat Topolino - if you remember them.

Pleasure meeting you!

Gene
hdrghack
Posted 3/28/2004 8:03 PM (#2855 - in reply to #2846)

Expert

Some day in my spare time? I hope to get it running It needs tires and rims and a fair amount of TLC. When I got it it came with a spare set of new belt's in the bags,also sports a Edison spark plug to ignite the fuel.Came with a 1948 N.Y. plate I had picked up a steel sidecar body from a real estate auction. The body is rivited and the seams are leaded closed the S/C body is the same as a Harley from the 40's to the 60's but it is smaller in size all the way around from my H.D. car that I have on my 72 FL I thought maybe from the H.D. 45's but don't really know always hoped to marry the two together some how.

Posted 3/28/2004 8:38 PM (#2856 - in reply to #2842)

Hmmmmm . . . .

I don't know, Chuck.

Having put a whole bunch of miles on two Servis (and my third motorcycle, by the way, was an olive drab WWII Army surplus 45 which anybody could buy back then all day long for $75 each - eat your heart out!

I'd be awfully careful about my selection of sidecar. First, for weight and second for authenticity.

And, forgive my boldness, I think your small Harley car will not be appropriate in either realm.

I'd select probably one of the early '20s or '30s wicker chairs - authentic and ultra-light. And so very cool. And wholly appropriate for a Simplex.

Move on down here to Florida - like all the rest of you darn yankee New Yorkers - and I'll help you get it together.

Cheers.

Gene
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software