Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
- (Added by: Wngnut)

Honda Helix hack shocks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 3/31/2004 9:37 PM (#2931)
Subject: Honda Helix hack shocks

Hi guys -

I'm sorry - dumb me - I reckon I'm supposed to start a new thread here somehow, but I don't know how. Anyway . . . .

I designed and built what I think is a really nifty sidecar rig, which you can see better at http://www.shakuhachi.ws/helix.htm - and I am wholly and utterly delighted with it. It has absolutely no handling flaws whatever.

BUT I'm 6'2", 264 pounds and, although I rarely have a sidecar rider (my wife's physical disability does not tolerate the chair well for long), and although I do not ever bottom out the Helix shocks, I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THE STOCK HELIX SHOCKS WITH SOMETHING SIGNIFICANTLY MORE FIRM.

Can anyone tell me what shocks (make, model and year or whatever) I can buy with which to replace my four stock units?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Gene
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 4/1/2004 1:06 PM (#2940 - in reply to #2931)
Subject: RE: Honda Helix hack shocks

Expert

Gene,
Check with Progressive suspension for sidecar shocks, their tech guy can tell you what you'll need. I have a Reflex/562 rig that also is a sweet little outfit. If your rig is the one that I saw in (I believe) The Sidecarist awhile back, it is one that Doug Bingham helped you with on the mountings. I set the Reflex up with a 4 point mounting using a one piece subframe of my own design. No welding on the Bike or the sidecar was required. Also a steering damper is not needed. I subsequently sent Doug pix and specs of the subframe since we share tech. information.
The Reflex rig is the first 3 pics in Hack'ns Hacks album.

Edited by Hack'n 4/1/2004 1:14 PM

Posted 4/1/2004 6:23 PM (#2942 - in reply to #2931)

Hi Lonnie -

Yes, my rig was in that publication, I believe (I didn't see it, but I heard about it), but Doug didn't excactly "help me" with it.

Ha ha, I stole what I guess was his design from the internet for the one big stout cross member, with the bolted flange in the middle. But I welded mine further aft than he does (removing the center stand bracket, etc.), and I built up pads under both frames, which he apparently doesn't do. I'm not certain about that.

I did my own design and welding here at home, with my little Mickey Mouse Sears TIG welding machine.

And I figured out how to use the front and rear Velorex attachments as best I could. And they all worked out just perfectly.

But I'm not sure who "Progressive" is. Is that a shock company? Forgive my stupidity. . . .

I would appreciate any suggestions at all.

Thank you very much.

Gene

Hack'n
Posted 4/2/2004 2:18 PM (#2945 - in reply to #2942)

Expert

Progressive Suspension, Inc. is as close as your keyboard. They specialize in motorcycle shocks and other suspension related compoments, as does Koni and others. Their products are a little more wallet friendly than some.

Posted 4/2/2004 3:48 PM (#2946 - in reply to #2931)

Me again, Lonnie -

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Hack'ns Hacks Album. Is it something I can see online? I'd love to see photos of your Reflex/562 rig!

Is your Reflex totally stock - tires, engine, suspension, everything?

And yes, I thought about a subframe also, but (a) I knew I was never going to pull the Helix and Velorex back apart again, and (b) it seemed to me - for my purposes only - the welding was a whole lot stronger and easier and faster than building bolt-on subframes.

As for my steering damper, I didn't really "need" it either. Fact is, I very happily ran the first thousand miles on my sidecar without a damper. But, every once in a while, if I just happened to be on a particular camber, with a particular load, at one particular speed, hands off or with only one very light hand hold, I got just a teeny bit of shimmy. So I added my VW bus steering damper, which, as you can see in the photos, worked out really great!

I checked Progressive's web site, and they don't list any shocks at all for the Honda Helix, but I've sent them an email, and maybe they will come up with some suggestion, I hope.

Thanks, Lonnie, for all your great help.

Gene
Hack'n
Posted 4/2/2004 4:57 PM (#2947 - in reply to #2931)
Subject: RE: Honda Reflex outfit

Expert

Gene,
The Albums are available on this page and on the home page of this site.
Just click on "Albums" at the top of the page and the menu will come up. I have quite a few pix in "Hack'ns Hacks" but the Reflex rig is the first one, I believe.
FENDER2YOU
Posted 4/2/2004 4:59 PM (#2948 - in reply to #2931)

Regular

if you click on the albums button on the top of the page is where you will find hack's hacks and pictures of lost of other people rigs too, have fun looking

fender

Posted 4/3/2004 9:36 AM (#2961 - in reply to #2931)

Okay, guys, I found the albums.

Really nifty!

And I even posted three photos of my own rig while I was there.

Thank you very much.

Gene
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software