Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"
- (Added by: DAVE)

new bike/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 4/4/2004 10:17 AM (#2967)
Subject: new bike/

Traded my Guzzi V11sport for a new 04 Guzzi stone touring. Plan on getting back into hacking soon and the stone was a much more sidecar freindly bike. I think Dauntless has mounts for this bike. The last rig I had was a BMW-EML , I raelly miss the fun of riding that thing! The next year or two will should be interesting as I look for a new chair. zzg
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 4/4/2004 4:42 PM (#2973 - in reply to #2967)
Subject: RE: new bike/

Expert

A good friend of mine, Sheldon Aubut, has a Stone with a Flying Tiger sidecar. Sidecar and mounts came from Jay at Dauntless. http://www.sheldonaubut.com/bikes/metal/index.html

Posted 4/4/2004 5:32 PM (#2974 - in reply to #2967)

Zig,

A friend of mine, one Kevin Flanigan,and I installed a Chinese car on Sheldon Aubut's Stone Metal using the mounting kit from Dauntless. It went better than I had expected. The kit fit pretty well and only required that we hog out a couple of holes to bolt things up. I'd give it an 8, the fit was OK but you couldn't dance to it. ;^)

The mounting kit was frankly better than the sidecar so if you're going to use a different car, I'd buy thet in a minute. The kit saved us about a day of screwing around and required NO WELDING. We mounted the car in a long afternoon and we had the "advantage" of lots of help. Probably could have shaved an hour or two off without the help but everybody had a good time.
JayDauntless
Posted 4/4/2004 6:54 PM (#2976 - in reply to #2967)

Extreme Veteran

It is important to note that the mounting kit Sheldon recieved was not for the Stone but a very similar bike as we had not had a stone into the shop at the time he ordered the mounts. We told him going into it that he might have to work them over a bit inorder to work on his bike. Now that we have had a stone into the shop the we were able to make the mounts fit much better.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
Ron/Paula
Posted 4/4/2004 10:43 PM (#2980 - in reply to #2967)

I have a 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackel that I am mounting a sidecar to. I bought a california sidecar body from a friend who took it off the frame and mounted a platform on it to haul his tools. I have fabricated a frame and mounted the sidecar body to the Jackel,but I am interested in using an electric lean setup on this rig. Can anyone tell me where I can find one? What kind of money are we talking here? Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks, Ron
JayDauntless
Posted 4/5/2004 10:04 AM (#2984 - in reply to #2967)

Extreme Veteran

If it is a newer California sidecar then California should be able to help you with the electric lean. If it is an older torrision bar suspention then I know of no one who makes one. We do make a suspention up grade to a swing arm shock for the early sidecars. It would not be all that hard to add electic tilt to it. We simply have never had the request while having a sidecar in the shop to design it off of. We do keep the actuators in stock for this.
Jay Giese
www.dauntlessmotors.com
Ron/Paula
Posted 4/5/2004 11:06 PM (#2997 - in reply to #2967)

Thanks for the reply Jay, I'm green at this sidecar thing, are you saying that the electic lean is built into the sidecar suspention? I was thinking the electric lean was built into the brace rod that connected to the upper part of the bike frame. Saw one of these on a BMW, not sure of the hack brand. I do have a swing arm suspention {homemade} with an air shock and a small compresser on board, perhaps I can utilize this for my lean? Any thoughts? I appreciate the help, Ron
JayDauntless
Posted 4/6/2004 10:35 AM (#2999 - in reply to #2967)

Extreme Veteran

This depends on what you mean by electric trim. If you are looking to have it set up for active steering then you would want to go to a 3 point mount and have an actuator as the upper mount. I do not like this set up as if you have the bike leaned into a corner and somthing fails it could have a less then acceptable out come.
The second set up is not for steering but to trim the sidecar for what ever load and or road conditions you have at any given time. This is normaly done at the upper shock pick up point. We use a Liner actuator.
We now have a bolt on kit for this to work with URAL sidecars. They are fairly expensive but do not tend to fail. I have seen this done using GM power seat assemblies as a less expensive way to go. You can also do some of this with your air shock which might be the best way to go for you as you have it already.
If it were me I would play with the air suspention. Go out and ride your bike and have some fun. You can always come back and make changes later.
Jay Giese
www.dauntlessmotors.com
Ron/Paula
Posted 4/6/2004 10:52 PM (#3010 - in reply to #2967)

Thanks Jay, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Best to you, Ron
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software