Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: remember dont take life to seriously its not permanent.

sidecar for 2002 sportster
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 4/10/2004 1:47 PM (#3052)
Subject: sidecar for 2002 sportster

hello looking for sidecar for 2002 harley sportster 883 hugger or plans to build one please email me at electraglide96@yahoo.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 4/10/2004 6:19 PM (#3054 - in reply to #3052)
Subject: RE: sidecar for 2002 sportster

Expert

I just finished setting up a 2004 1200 Sporty Custom with a 562 Velorex. It will be color matched to the bike. I'll e-mail pix.

Lonnie
FENDER2YOU
Posted 4/10/2004 9:51 PM (#3056 - in reply to #3052)

Regular

i've got a 2003 with a velorex, talk to doug at side strider he can set you up nicely

fender

Posted 4/10/2004 11:09 PM (#3057 - in reply to #3052)

I've got a 98 Hugger with a 700 Velorex, works very well.
JayDauntless
Posted 4/11/2004 7:02 PM (#3073 - in reply to #3052)

We make bike specific mounting hardware for your bike, Not "universal" one size fits every thing trust us mounts.
We have them in stock and can set the mounts up for most sidecars.
While many people have mounted the Velorex sidecars to Sportsters to me having had to fix way to many bent and broken axles I would never recomend a Velorex on any bike as large and heavy as a Sportster.
The Velorex is a great little sidecar for little bikes.
You can get Russian and Chinese sidecars for not much different money then the Velorex.
If it is to be a full time sidecar bike we have automotive tires that will fit on the stock 16 inch rear wheel.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
Hack'n
Posted 4/12/2004 3:28 PM (#3091 - in reply to #3073)

Expert

I would recommend the Velorex sidecars for the Harley sportsters. In my 10 years as a Velorex dealer, I have never had a complaint of a "bent or broken axle". To be sure, the Velorex sidecars are not a panacea for all sidecar needs. They will not work well with the heaviest of mororcycles, although many are in use with GLs and such. Having mounted scores of them to Sportsters with no adverse feedback from the customers, I would have to say they are a great match for the Sporty. There is a heavy duty suspension option available for heavier bikes and heavy duty, or off road usage. We set these up using a heavier swing-arm with a 1" axle, with timken bearings and a modular auto type wheel and tire. They look good and are just about bulletproof. Also the tires are cheaper and last a lot longer than cycle tires.
Side Effects and Dauntless also sell a smaller, more modest sized replacement for the stock axle. I haven't used these so I do not know if any hub bearing modifications are necessary with their products.
The Velorex comes with all the factory accessories included except the bike, without having to purchase an extra mounting system, and over 301,000 of them have been sold, as OEM and mainly as aftermarket sidecars for other cycles.
As soon as I post this, I'm headed for the gym on my 1995 Sporty/562 outfit, with a stock axle.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar

nwsidecar@aol.com

Edited by Hack'n 4/12/2004 3:30 PM
JayDauntless
Posted 4/12/2004 4:21 PM (#3092 - in reply to #3052)

The axle up grade for velorex can be done by any properly equiped sidecar shop or machine shop. We use a mill drill and a lathe to make the parts.
When you are done you still have the stock wheel which keeps the wire spoke wheel rather then going to a "trailer" or car wheel. The trailer and car wheels are most likley stronger but do not have the "right" look for many bikes and you lose the sidecar brake. We make our own hubs for this kind of work that go on standard 1 inch axles but have a 4 on 100mm bolt pattern giving you a much larger choice in wheels. We can also add a disk brake to this set up but have not done so with Velorex sidecars as we remove far more Velorex sidecars then we install as they often come in on two large of bikes with slipping mounts. We do the wheel up grades with brakes to other sidecars such as the early California sidecars.
What you do is remove the stock axle. This is done with a press. Then bore the swing arm out about .005 smaller then 20mm. We have a ream that we picked up at boeing surplus for this but you could also use a drill bit. We then press fit a 20mm axle into the swing arm. I use used motorcycle axles that I shorten and cut a retainer grove on our lathe however you could also simply weld the back of the axle to keep it in once it is pressed in. By using a motorcycle axle we can even keep the original retaining nut.
Next you have to bore the brake hub out to 20mm. Last you replace the stock bearings in the wheel with 6204 bearings. You also need to make a new sleave that goes between the bearings inside of the wheel.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation

Posted 4/13/2004 12:34 PM (#3103 - in reply to #3052)

Liberty Sidecars makes a sporty sidecar just for the Sportser. Try Libertysidecars.com

NoBrakes

Posted 4/26/2004 2:52 PM (#3218 - in reply to #3052)

Liberty makes a very cool sidecar just for the Sportster.
Renku1
Posted 4/28/2004 8:43 PM (#3245 - in reply to #3052)

If you are still looking, you might want to try The Wark Shop. He carries at least 3 different sidecar lines including Velorex. The important part is he is as honest and helpful as the day is long. I wont take up space here but I would be more than glad to email details on how far above and beyond he went for me if you would like. I have no knowledge of Velorex and Sportster rigs except that there is one down the street that has been on the road at least 4 years and the guy seems real happy.
Lastly,while I can't speak about axle conversions I do have my Velorex attached by way of a Dauntless Motors subframe and Jay was real good about answering questions and every thing arrived as promised, when promised.
Kurt

Edited by Renku1 5/6/2004 10:19 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software