Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The past isn't dead; it isn't even past." Faulkner
- (Added by: pssstpok)

Pulling right at 70-75 mph
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Mobilegroomer
Posted 4/12/2004 6:55 PM (#3093)
Subject: Pulling right at 70-75 mph

I'm trying to "fine-tune" a 2003 FLHT/Champion Daytona rig. I think I have it dialed in, but don't have anything to compare it to in order to make sure. Most of the time it seems like it tracks straight, but at highway speeds, it pulls toward the car. It also seems to be greatly influenced by the road's "crown". I've been told two things...1)"these problems are normal", and 2) "these problems are not normal"! (The Daytona is a heavy, two-person s/c.) Thanks from a newbie...!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JayDauntless
Posted 4/12/2004 8:47 PM (#3097 - in reply to #3093)
Subject: RE: Pulling right at 70-75 mph

Extreme Veteran

For this large of a sidecar not to pull at Highway speed they will pull at lower speed. The reason. Drag, You have lots of areodynamic drag.
Best fix order Champions TILT. It is easy to add. This way you can have it set so that it tracks straight at lower speeds and then adjust it with the TILT for what ever conditions you have.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
Hack'n
Posted 4/13/2004 2:50 PM (#3105 - in reply to #3093)

Expert

Jay's suggestion of installing the TILT option is your best long term fix. This system also allows you to adjust the rigs trim on the fly, to accomodate for differences in road camber (crown) and sidecar loadings. The electric screw jack raises or lowers the suspension of the car causing the outfit to push left or right as needed to maintain a straight path down the road.

The quick fix compromise is to increase lean-out of the bike and/or increase the toe-in of the car to track straight at highway speeds.

Some have changed the upper struts to turnbuckle type, so they can manually adjust lean-out for an occasional high speed trip down the superslab and readjust for their normal running. It takes a couple of minutes and a stop to do this, but it is an economical fix. Several sidecar manufacturers have used this method through the years.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
Hacksaw_neb
Posted 7/5/2004 7:56 AM (#4013 - in reply to #3093)

Hello. I only have about a months experience (2500 miles) but I have had to deal with the exact same issue. My rig is a 1970 Guzzi Ambassador with a Big Bore kitted Eldorado motor pulling a 260 plus lb fully enclosed hack with about 10 square feet of frontal area. LOTS OF WIND DRAG. Vern Goodwin in Lincoln, Nebraska setup my rig using 'normal' parameters along with a manual lean-out adjuster and steering stabilizer. After a couple three weeks of having to lean-out to an uncomfortable angle to counter the pulling to the right at road speed (55-65mph) I went back to Vern and said "HELP". After investigation and discussion I decided to sacrifice sidecar tire wear to gain better handling by having Vern put more (much greater than usual) toe-in into the rig. Now I can run up to even 75/80 mph and the rig shows more drag of course but the lean-out angle I have to dial in is almost nil compared to before. As a person who intended to do the setup myself I can only say that I'm glad I left it to a professional like Vern. Also, as he warned be could happen I'M HOOKED!!!
'Drive' Safe,
Hacksaw
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software