Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck
- (Added by: DAVE)

spirit of america eagle /need mounts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 4/14/2004 3:29 PM (#3110)
Subject: spirit of america eagle /need mounts

i have bought a (what i am told )spirit of america eagle sidecar --it looks like a california companion, may be .anyway i need brackets to mount it to a 1973 harley flh . i have all four arms but no clamps that attach to frame can anyone steer my the right direction or does anyone have some to sell or any information on this unit ------------thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 4/14/2004 4:01 PM (#3111 - in reply to #3110)
Subject: RE: spirit of america eagle /need mounts

Leaner
Welcome
Check with Jay at:
www.dauntlessmotors.com
He may want you to post a Pic.
JayDauntless
Posted 4/14/2004 5:58 PM (#3112 - in reply to #3110)

We will need to figure out for sure what kind of sidecar you have as I have identified up to 5 different companies that have built this sidecar all with different chassis.
There are many different ways to identfy it. One easy way is by suspension.
If it has a torsion bar suspention with out a shock then it is most likley a California companion which had the best mounts of all the different companies that built this. Other wise a photo would help.
Let me know what I can do.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
jay@dauntlessmotors.com

Posted 4/14/2004 8:49 PM (#3117 - in reply to #3112)

HOW DO I EMAIL A PICTURE TO YOU I TOOK SOME TODAY
JayDauntless
Posted 4/14/2004 11:16 PM (#3120 - in reply to #3110)

You can email me at www.dauntlessmotors.com
Jay

Posted 4/14/2004 11:43 PM (#3121 - in reply to #3110)

You do not want the eagle mounts they are just thin u shaped straps. I made some for my bike. Try looking on this site Dauntles, motorvation,some of the independent shops can help you. If it is an eagle or easy rider side car it is a little light for a HD. Raise the seat and check for a model tag under it on the body floor.Even if you had the stock clamps you don't want to use them. I can scan a copy of the instuction manual and send it or you can go to the SCT site and download it. I am in the process of putting one one a bike now. Not nowhere near the weight of a HD and I wouldn't use the stock mounts. If you think I can help you out send me an email. I have the stock straps but you really don't want them.
JayDauntless
Posted 4/15/2004 9:20 AM (#3124 - in reply to #3110)

I agree on not using the Spirit mounts. For these we weld two cross tubes under the chassis and convert them over to 1 1/2 boss and clamp set ups like the newer ones made by California used. Once this is done it will work with all of our mounts as well as Champion, California and Texas sidecars mounts.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
Hack'n
Posted 4/15/2004 4:47 PM (#3126 - in reply to #3110)

Expert

Unless you are just going to use it just for slow backroad putting, I would also be concerned about the lightweight suspension of this sidecar when matched with the heavy FLH. Whichever frame clamps you choose.

I have Velorex U-clamp with eye bolt assemblies for $49.09 each plus shipping, but I would recommend at least beefing up the suspension if you are going to use this hack.

Lonnie Cook
nwsidecar@aol.com

Edited by Hack'n 4/15/2004 4:49 PM
Bob Madigan
Posted 4/16/2004 7:54 AM (#3131 - in reply to #3110)

Veteran

I run a Spirit of America on a GL500 and it's too light, suspension wise, for even that. I wouldn't put one on an FLH. Spirits, in all their incarnations, are just not beefy enough for a big-twin HD.

Besides safety and comfort, weight and suspension considerations the chair is just way too small for that size bike and will look kinda goofy.

And the original clamps are just pieces of mild steel bent around the bikes frame tubes. I tried them when I first mounted mine and promptly tore one in half (breaking my windshield in the process) Jay will steer you right if you're going ahead with this project.

FWIW, JMHO, all standard disclaimers apply, void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, see store for details.

Happy Motoring

BOB

Posted 4/16/2004 8:27 AM (#3132 - in reply to #3131)

you forgot about the little pieces that go in between the straps that locks them to the frame(not). Just makes the straps break faster but hold alignment better till they do! Don't get me wrong I really like this sidecar (not the mounts) but I am putting on a light weight bike. I have seen the on HD Sportsters. I would not even w/structeral changes and suspention mods. By then cost wise you could buy a better matched sidecar. This is just my opinion take it or leave it. I am new to this myself but do know basic physics,and some about structeral load as applied to frames car and motorcycle. I have heard people using stock mounts also, heard of the breaking and slipping out of alignment both, are not very good things downright dangerous. When in doubt build it stout. Rings true to me for road going machines.

Posted 4/18/2004 6:59 PM (#3152 - in reply to #3110)

i would like to thank everyone for theyre input on the question i asked after all the input on size and weight i have decided to sell the spirit sidecar and look for something heavier i will just have to save up my nickles, dimes and quarters. anyone interested in the spirit contact me it is in good condition email me at mgrigsby@mybluelight.com.i live in northern ca.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software