Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Courage is not being unafraid. It's being scared to death and saddling up anyhow.
- (Added by: DAVE)

Replacement Battery
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

papasmurf
Posted 4/22/2004 8:42 AM (#3181)
Subject: Replacement Battery

Regular

I know this subject has been 'beaten to death'on many forums but here is my specific take on it.
Have '95 Wing SE/CSC FSIII. Has stock alternator and a 2 year old battery, which frankly feel is too small for a sidecar rig. Had an old GMC pickup which I had to junk BUT had just bought brand new 1000 cca 4X4 battery for it. It is a new type I've never seen before[is Nascar Brand; has twin rounded ends which are supposed to have circular wound plate/separator construction. It is sealed type, with no caps. Wish to put this in sidecar trunk, run 6 gauge cable extensions to it from original battery location, tie them in there and eliminate original cycle battery altogether.
QUESTIONS: Will I fry my alternator or anything else with this monster or will starter, etc. just use needed current and no more? Was led to believe that if I never let battery get low[use tender when rig is parked]the alternator will never be overtaxed. Also, will this battery be safe[no fume buildup]in trunk? Am open to suggestions on this and want to get it DONE for rest of riding season. Tom aka papasmurf in New Hampshire
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bob Stock
Posted 4/22/2004 9:58 AM (#3182 - in reply to #3181)
Subject: RE: Replacement Battery

That battery you have should work well. As it is sealed,you could even lay it on its side if need be though I would keep it up right if possible. You should not have a gassing off problem with this type. The current draw to the starter and such should not be a problem. The only thing to watch out for is charging. If the battery is almost dead your charging circuit will break its heart trying to feed in as many amps as it can. To prevent damage, make sure that you fuze the line going to the battery to something under the max output of the charging circuit. That should prevent a problem. Also remove the bike battery. Even with both batteries hooked in perallel. The charging will not be "even". The only way to get a good charge on both batteries would be if they were the same size and age.

I was also looking at this type of battery (at Sears) but right now the price is too dear for me. One advangae of this battery is it is more shock resistant then a standard lead plate/flooded acid type.

Good luck and hope to see you on the road.
papasmurf
Posted 5/25/2004 9:32 PM (#3589 - in reply to #3181)
Subject: RE: Replacement Battery

Regular

Finally got the new Nascar brand, sealed-type 900 cca[was mistaken on size]pickup truck battery into my hack! Used camper-type battery box with cover, red and black 6 gauge stranded copper extension cables with tinned ends, 6 gauge screw-type CU terminal lugs. Old battery eliminated, with a 6 position accessory fuse panel located in it's place. Wing starts great even when cold, runs a lot better and all lights work a lot better, too. VERY pleased with the outcome and have more peace of mind when on the road!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software