Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Sidecar FAQ -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harley Sidecar Manual
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Sidecar FAQMessage format

midntstr
Posted 3/19/2010 10:19 PM (#49965 - in reply to #49346)
Subject: RE: Harley Sidecar Manual

Is it to late to get the pdf sent? Thanks if you can. dad@softcom.net Have a nice day. Dick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 10:27 AM (#50480 - in reply to #49346)

If you could. I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to install a 2006 TLE on a 2007 FLHP. Thanks for any assistance.
gnm109
Posted 4/13/2010 10:33 AM (#50481 - in reply to #50480)

collazd - 4/13/2010 8:27 AM

If you could. I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to install a 2006 TLE on a 2007 FLHP. Thanks for any assistance.

You would be far better off with the standard Harley-Davidson sidecar manual for your particular year. The 2010 machines are completely different in the mounts and part numbers.

Or, you can get the manual from the Harley dealer. It's P/N 99485-07.

Good luck,

Edited by gnm109 4/13/2010 10:34 AM
timo482
Posted 4/13/2010 11:38 AM (#50483 - in reply to #50480)

collazd

ive done a 2004 sidecar on a 2007

it turns out that 2007 is a one off year

any help you need, ask

first question to you, does the bike have stock police wireing? it wont matter much

does it have a oil cooler on it

whatever you do dont mess with the engine of a police bike - they have proven to have more power than stock bikes - they are usually larger displacement but set up for maximum possible bottom end. there was a recal/update to put compression releases on recent police bikes - you will have to check to see if yours has them or should have them. i have a police air cleaner box on my ultra - it has twice the air holes that a stock bike has - yet will still keep rain off the air cleaner...

im also running a air cooling fan and a liberty raked tree & a car rear tire..

i very much like the rear car tire - but to be honest i could have put 4 factory tires on for the cost.. live and learn.

to
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 11:59 AM (#50484 - in reply to #50481)

Thanks for the parts #. My main concern is about changes i may need to make. Another person told me that I needed to relocate the rear master cylinder for fitment. Not sure and want to know if the oil cooler also needs relocation.
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 12:03 PM (#50485 - in reply to #50483)

Hi. Yes I have the stock police wiring and it also has an oil cooler. I have the brackets that come with the car. The rear mount has numerous holes in it and appears to have been a three bolter. It has a lobe and a pin on the part that goes around the swingarm. Does this make sense? thanks
timo482
Posted 4/13/2010 12:22 PM (#50486 - in reply to #50485)

ok, you REALLY need a 07 manual

do you HAVE a COMPLETE mount kit? or just the big cheap cast parts?

the 07 front lower mount is special to 07 and 08 ONLY - no chance you have the right one - the left half of the front lower mount is almost for sure OK, but the right half of the lower wont fit - no way - no how

you dont move the rear master cyl - you move the resivour for it - AND you have to have the proper pedal

are you certain the bike never had a police sidecar on it? it will save bux if it did

you need a two bolt rear mount - there is a version with a pin and a version with a bar - you need the one with a bar - its a several year part

the upper mount is the same for many years - changed in 09 and newer

to save a LOT of time - list the actual parts you got with the sidecar -

all the stock harley oil cooler adapters WILL NOT FIT

what i did was get a remote filter kit from jerry riggs off the net and mounted the filter and the cooler to the right crash bar - used the stock cooler and some clamps.

later

to'
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 12:52 PM (#50488 - in reply to #50486)

Lucky for me the car came with all the brackets. I think it came off a 1999 FLH. My bike was bought new at the dealer. It never had a sidecar. The sidecar is a TLE Ultra Classic. It has the harness for the connections to a bike. Not too worried about the electrical, will deal with that when the time comes. Right now worried about hook up. Thanks for the great advice. I tried to present the car to the bike to get an idea and the upper mount seems ok. Can see that I have a clearance problem with the right lower connector. Where can I find the stuff to relocate the reservior and is it possible to get the left lower connector and the two hole rear connector. Greatly appreciate your willingness to help along with the expertise. Thank you very much.
gnm109
Posted 4/13/2010 2:13 PM (#50490 - in reply to #50484)

collazd - 4/13/2010 9:59 AM

Thanks for the parts #. My main concern is about changes i may need to make. Another person told me that I needed to relocate the rear master cylinder for fitment. Not sure and want to know if the oil cooler also needs relocation.

There is a remote sleeve that slides onto your standard brake master cylinder to replace the existing master cylinder. Then there is a remote master cylinder reservoir that fits on the frame above the lower front mount.

The oil cooler is OK but you may have to remove it temporarily to install the lower front mount. I had to do that.

Then, the oil pressure sending unit is moved with a 90 degee elbow to get it out of the way.

It's all in the manual.

Good luck.

timo482
Posted 4/13/2010 2:57 PM (#50491 - in reply to #50488)

ahhh... having the brackets is having about 1/3 of the kit

rear master cyl sleeve, brake hose, remote rez & bolts [and 2007 and 2008 require a different hose and rez than prev so you will need to get the right one]

rear brake pedal - the 07 one that came on the bike wont work - have to have the proper one

90 bend to move the oil sender

i could not get the cooler adapter on - possibly it will fit - but on the 07 the filter mount is cast into the right side case and it moves it so that the older mount will NOT fit and the cooler adapter would not fit. its a 07, 08 special right lower mount

there is a rear brake t

rear lower mount

roll over switch that mounts behind the battery under the seat - that was not needed in the past on older bikes

new clutch cable that goes under the engine rather than along the right side

steering dampner and all kinds of fittings that go with it

right saddle bag latch - on a police bike i dont think you need the latch

its all special parts - they are listed in the 07 manual - and many have a 07 suffix.

the whole kit will be about 1000 to 1200 bux - price all the bits seperate it may be cheaper to get the kit

if it came off off a 1999 flh then the radio stuff wont work, but the lights will

thinking about it - a "complete" 99 kit will be missing the right lower front mount, the lower rear mount, the roll over switch and all the brake parts.

most of the parts that wont fit from a 99 are because the twin cam 96 engine uses different castings and the parts just wont clear. [yours is almost certainly a police 103]

to
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 3:43 PM (#50496 - in reply to #50491)

Yes it is a Police 103. I think I got the info I need to get things going in the right direction. Thanks for the help.
46u
Posted 4/16/2010 9:52 PM (#50607 - in reply to #49663)
Subject: Re: Harley Sidecar Manual

Joyce - 3/1/2010 9:09 PM

I'm sort of having second thoughts about posting it here. One of my web guys thinks that we might run into legal issues without permission from Harley Davidson. I know that they like to sell these manuals so if emails work for everyone for the time being, I'll probably continue to chew on this for a while. Sorry.

Being there is not profit being made here or selling of anything I do not think it is a big deal.
iwboomer
Posted 5/14/2010 1:05 PM (#51278 - in reply to #49346)

Could I have a copy of the .pdf

iwboomer@mokancomm.net
bubbaj
Posted 6/6/2010 2:18 PM (#51721 - in reply to #49346)

I would like a copy of the manual e-mailed to me at bubbaj128@hotmail.com . I'm putting a 96 harley ultra sidecar on a 01 harley classic and need all the info I can get . Thanks alot
gnm109
Posted 6/6/2010 3:51 PM (#51722 - in reply to #51721)

bubbaj - 6/6/2010 12:18 PM

I would like a copy of the manual e-mailed to me at bubbaj128@hotmail.com . I'm putting a 96 harley ultra sidecar on a 01 harley classic and need all the info I can get . Thanks alot

I don't think that they are available anymore from this site. Your best bet is to buy the manual on eBay. P/N 99485-(year)

Walter
Posted 8/17/2010 3:54 PM (#53212 - in reply to #49346)

I would love a copy of that manual. I put on a Companion GT Sidecar on my 2001 Heritage last year and am still having some wobble issues that I am dealing with.
Thanks
Walter
chobee1991@hotmail.com
gnm109
Posted 8/17/2010 4:25 PM (#53213 - in reply to #53212)

Walter - 8/17/2010 1:54 PM

I would love a copy of that manual. I put on a Companion GT Sidecar on my 2001 Heritage last year and am still having some wobble issues that I am dealing with.
Thanks
Walter
chobee1991@hotmail.com

They are copyright by Harley-Davidson. They aren't available here. The P/N is 99485-XX (year of manual). There are lots of them available on eBay or from the Harley-Davidson dealer.

Edited by gnm109 8/17/2010 8:04 PM
Hack'n
Posted 8/17/2010 7:08 PM (#53215 - in reply to #53212)

The Harley Sidecar Manuals only refer to HD sidecars, which are an unsprung three point mounted sidecar that does not attach to a Softtail without extensive custom modification of attachments.
The only non FLH/T bikes the TLE cars were attached to used a FLT style frame and they were the FXR swing-arm models.
Aftermarket cars are a whole different animal. Most all have a leading or trailing swingarm with coil over shock suspension. They set up differently than the Harley cars.

Lonnie

Edited by Hack'n 8/17/2010 7:11 PM
Walter
Posted 8/17/2010 8:00 PM (#53217 - in reply to #53215)

Lonnie, thanks for the info. It seems to me as I look through this website you are quite knowledgeable and willing to help and I appreciate that. I'm a new SC guy - I really think the SC's are cool and am trying to get into it. I have a front-end wobble at low speeds (25-35MPH) - still trying to figure out at what specific MPH - It is enough though where you can't take hands off handlebar and I don't. When the SC was istalled they said the wobble is normal and see if you can get used to it or you can add a damper ( I really don't want toadd a damper, unless I have to) and from what I read so far in the website- not such a good idea anyway.
gnm109
Posted 8/17/2010 8:06 PM (#53218 - in reply to #53215)

Hack'n - 8/17/2010 5:08 PM

The Harley Sidecar Manuals only refer to HD sidecars, which are an unsprung three point mounted sidecar that does not attach to a Softtail without extensive custom modification of attachments.
The only non FLH/T bikes the TLE cars were attached to used a FLT style frame and they were the FXR swing-arm models.
Aftermarket cars are a whole different animal. Most all have a leading or trailing swingarm with coil over shock suspension. They set up differently than the Harley cars.

Lonnie

Gee Lonnie...my Harley sidecar has springs under the tub..........
Hack'n
Posted 8/18/2010 2:29 PM (#53234 - in reply to #49346)

Gee 109, ......It's still an unsprung chassis as you well know.
Only the banana boat is sprung all else is unsprung weight.

I think Walter was hoping the Harley Sidecar Manual would help him out but he seems to have a (sprung) CSC Champion GT sidecar on a Softtail which is a whole nother animal than an ElectraGlide/TLE rig.

My new Liberty has chrome springs under the tub AND full adjustable chassis suspension.

To each his own, Cheers,

Lonnie

(FLHX-Liberty 8-16-'10 007.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FLHX-Liberty 8-16-'10 007.jpg (620KB - 14 downloads)
deltasnook
Posted 8/18/2010 2:49 PM (#53235 - in reply to #49346)

Come on guys. No matter that Walter is hanging a Champion or Companion hack on his softtail, at least he's trying. I advised him to seek a sidecar school that would have some knowledgeable techs that may be able to tune him in and check with the Liberty folks about triple trees.

Shoot on that note, I may get rid of my Road King TLE setup and build an old 750 Honda with the rear section of an old Austin taxi bolted out to the right. Can't come out any worse than what Walter is trying to do. Remember, he's here for support and probably shouldn't be hammered on, yet. He'll do that on his own.
old iron
Posted 8/23/2010 6:54 PM (#53318 - in reply to #49346)

Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?
gnm109
Posted 8/23/2010 7:11 PM (#53319 - in reply to #53318)

old iron - 8/23/2010 4:54 PM

Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?

The ones for that era are extremely rare. The parts listings are usually found in the parts manual for the particular year of Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
kenjh
Posted 2/4/2011 11:00 PM (#55993 - in reply to #49346)

wow,glad my 54 fl doesn't have all that safety crap you guy's have my sidecar takes 30 minutes to hookup or remove including coffee time..granted no side breaks no lites..goes with no brains say's the wife..and harley won't tell me the right way the 32 commercial should be set up.. had to learn by trial and terror..
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software