Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Sidecar FAQ -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for the article for 1st time SideCar riders
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Sidecar FAQMessage format

FaithB1965
Posted 7/7/2010 6:54 PM (#52363)
Subject: Looking for the article for 1st time SideCar riders

Hi there. I guess I'm being a little lazy--and still not used to getting around the website yet... but, my story is that I came here looking for a sidecar; found a bunch of nice people that responded to my posts; got a sidecar--and my Favorite person just finished installing it today. I got a message once from someone here telling me that I should read something you had available here for "first time" riders with sidecars. Does anyone know where that is that can tell me how to find it? I want to read it before I take it out for my maiden voyage (and scare myself out of my mind!)

CAn't wait to try it! (and I'll be furiously looking in the meantime)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 7/7/2010 7:23 PM (#52364 - in reply to #52363)
Subject: RE: Looking for the article for 1st time SideCar riders

http://www.sidecar.com/Files/SC%20OP%20Manual.pdf
FaithB1965
Posted 7/7/2010 8:46 PM (#52369 - in reply to #52363)
Subject: Re: Looking for the article for 1st time SideCar riders

THANK YOU! I actually just got in from the "maiden voyage"
All I have to say is "holy cow" that wasn't easy. Part of it is my driveway/road; the other part is that I'm not used to the PULLING! I will be a strong woman when I get the hang of this, that's for sure.

Now, Off to go read the article. Thanks again--I really appreciate the very fast response!!!
Hack'n
Posted 7/7/2010 8:56 PM (#52370 - in reply to #52369)

If the pulling isn't when you are turning the rig you have an alignment problem.
You should be having neutral steering at an even speed. A little lag on the car side on acceleration and a tendency to push you left a bit when stopping is normal.

Lonnie
FaithB1965
Posted 7/7/2010 9:03 PM (#52371 - in reply to #52363)

The person that installed it (my significant other) is good with all kinds of repairs. He had some at-length discussions with an experienced installer from our area. He poured over the books and such. I think part of it is the type of motorcycle it's on (Yamaha Radian 600) which has a very short wheel base; combined with our "location". Our road is private and was just graded--a lot of very soft dirt all over the place and slanted conditions. but, we'll see--I'm sure he'll be checking it again.

Thanks again for all of your input!!! I will keep everyone posted. I'll grab a pic or two and upload tomorrow!
old iron
Posted 7/9/2010 11:23 AM (#52394 - in reply to #52371)

Don't forget, a raked frontend makes a big diffrence
gpers2
Posted 7/9/2010 3:51 PM (#52396 - in reply to #52363)
Subject: RE: Looking for the article for 1st time SideCar riders

Faith:
Welcome to the sidecar world.
Besides the files on this site, (http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp) you may find the following helpful:

An excellent self-training manual is “Driving a Sidecar Outfit” which can be obtained through
whitehorse gear: http://www.whitehorsegear.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=driving+a+sid...
I found this “yellow Book” to be extremely helpful.

Potential for classes in your area: evergreen website: http://www.esc.org/step_training.php
A training manual: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/trikemanual.pdf.
Another info source is: http://www.cyclesidecar.com/Guides/index.html

Hope you are enjoying your new rig.
Ride safe,
gail
FaithB1965
Posted 7/9/2010 8:32 PM (#52405 - in reply to #52363)

I love this website--I'm a "geek" and many websites go unread for a while. This is a very dedicated group! I welcome all the feedback I can get! I have printed a copy of the manual, but haven't finished reading it yet. (I think Al has read more than I have--it's been a long week at work for me!)

Old Iron: Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "raked frontend" ?
qpers2: Thanks so much for the links! I'll be checking them all out.

I took it on the maiden voyage--but alas, that was it this week. my work sometimes is 12 hours a day--depending on what's going on--so I haven't ventured back out yet. Thankfully Al (significant other, best friend, mechanic, confidante) is quite patient especially after the time commitment he made in researching and installing it. I still have concerns about my bike having too short a wheelbase--and maybe pictures I post (when I figure out how) will demonstrate more closely.

I will be keeping you posted--and sincerely appreciate the feedback and links you are sending!!!
Hack'n
Posted 7/9/2010 9:54 PM (#52407 - in reply to #52363)

Raked Frontend denotes a front end with modified triple trees that reduce the trail and offer very easy steering. Check "Side Effects" website for more info.

Lonnie
Marinedoc
Posted 10/28/2010 12:18 PM (#54312 - in reply to #52363)

I am also a new sidecar rider. I wanted a sidecar to take my son out with us. He has Down's Syndrome and falls asleep on the road. Bad on two wheels. The Sidecar is a great way for the entire family to ride. I just bought a 2005 Ultra with Harley Side car and have had a bear of a time going right. In town I practiced for a while and was comfortable at slow speeds and doing okay. On a small winding two lane highway I didn't do well. I realized I am going against centrifical force and a sidecar that wants to go straight, but I couldn't hold the road. I have been riding two wheels for a few years and knew this would be different but didn't expect this much of an issue. I have heard about the raked front end with modified triple trees and plan to have that done. If there is any other advice I could should use it.
turtleman57
Posted 11/5/2010 12:57 PM (#54467 - in reply to #52363)

Find a large parking lot, churches are great, and practice, practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. Practice left turns, right turns, figure eights, slow speeds stops, and what I found to be one of the most important higher speed panic stops, and then when you are through practicing do it some more, lol. I haven’t done the raked front end , but might some day, I have put 9 hours day behind me and yes I am a little sore, but not all that bad, and the good part is that I have lost over 55 pounds and my upper body strength has increased dramatically. Yes it is a whole new ball game and you are driving as compared to riding, but the payoff is great. I have worked with adults and children with special needs for over 25 years from day programs, Easter Seals Camps, State Hospitals, so I applaud you for your purchase with your son in mind. We added our hack to allow us to carry, the young man that has lived with us for over 4 years now and as far as I am concerned he is my son. He loves it and I have to watch myself and not mention sidecar or else he starts hollering and I am off to take him for a little ride to somewhere anywhere, LOL. So with that in mind, glad to have you aboard, and if you are ever in the Atlanta area let us know, as you never know where we might end up…………see ya soon or on the road…….

turtleman and Brian
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software