Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.
- (Added by: OBIWAN)

Sidecar for Road King
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 5/16/2004 2:20 AM (#3430)
Subject: Sidecar for Road King

Which brand/models would work best on a Road King? Live on top of a mountain and concerned about getting a sidecar too 'light' to behave in the twisties.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JayDauntless
Posted 5/16/2004 10:02 AM (#3435 - in reply to #3430)
Subject: RE: Sidecar for Road King

Extreme Veteran

Many different companies make sidecars for your bike, Harley makes one but still to this day it has no suspention on the sidecar wheel. Liberty sidecars has sidecars for your bike as well. Hannigan makes a fine sidecar that will also work well with your bike. Our first choice for your bike would be our Liberator sidecar which is the only sidecar made in America that has a sidecar wheel that steers. If you are looking for a sidecar at a bit lower price then our Liberator we normaly either install Champion products or Ural sidecars on these bikes and we do so using bike specific non universal mounts. If your bike is going to be a full time sidecar bike we have automotive tires that will fit right on the stock wheels. We also have new triple tree's to lighten up steering and can add reverse to the transmission.
The one thing I would make sure is that the sidecar is strong enough for the bike, Many companies will try to sell you a light sidecar such as a Velorex. This would be a bad choice as it was designed for a 350cc two stroke bike it does not leave much of a saftey margin even if you install the so called heavy duty suspention. Don't get me wrong here. The Velorex is a fine little sidecar but not for a large bike. They are a blast on 500cc singles. If you are looking for a lower priced sidecar then the Texas sidecar company has some that may fit the bill.
We can help you with any of the sidecars listed except for the Liberty.
Let me know if I can be of any help at all.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
Hack'n
Posted 5/16/2004 1:14 PM (#3436 - in reply to #3430)

Expert

Red,
I mounted a Motorvation Spyder on my Turbocharged RoadKing and found it to be a great sidecar. Rock steady at over 100mph, great looking and after years of use I still got my money back out of it when I sold it.
By the way I'm one of those bad old Velorex dealers that Jay D. keeps mentioning, and I would not recommend putting a Velorex on your RoadKing or any large dresser. I did, however, have Velorex 562s with HD suspension on 2 of my personal FXRs and they were fine, fun rigs. I put thousands of miles on them with no problems whatsoever. My new FXDL Lo-Rider will probably get one too, or maybe a 565.
The new heavier 565 Model Velorex will be coming here soon. We are anxious to get our first delivery. No pix available yet.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Posted 5/17/2004 9:36 AM (#3444 - in reply to #3430)

Thank you for the quick feedback, guys. I'm waiting to hear back from California, Texas, Champion, and a guy with an H-D.

Next question about the Champions. Is T.I.L.T the same as a electric/manual lean adjuster? I can't find any clear cut explaination on their website.

And third, how interchangeble are the bodies? If I get a '96 HD with a good frame and crappy body, and find a car from a 2002 Champion Legend, could they make sweet music, as long as I was careful and kept the first date chaperoned?

I'm running blind here. No one nearby that drives a rig and no dealer/installer within 200 miles. I'm counting on the good will of strangers, the internet, as many books and manuals as I can get, and common sense.

BIGdose of the last.
JayDauntless
Posted 5/17/2004 3:33 PM (#3447 - in reply to #3430)

Extreme Veteran

Champions tilt is an electric trim device that raises and lowers the upper mount for the shock. It is not designed to aid in steering.
It would not be a straight forward convertion to change the bodies on the chassis.
If you have any specific questions about the Champion sidecar and want a quick responce you can email me at jay@dauntlessmotors.com We are a Champion dealer and my shop foreman was one of the founders of Champion sidecars and designed many aspects of the sidecars so we can pretty much answer any specific questions you may have. The only Legend we have in stock is black in color but we could order one color matched for you. Champion is running about 4 weeks out right now on sidecars orders.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Where are you located? Perhaps there is a sidecar event near you. The next event near us (we are in Washington State) is a camp out in Yakima WA over memorial day weekend at the KOA. My wife Tara and I host this event. This is the last year we will be hosting it as we are turning it over to another couple.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com

Posted 5/18/2004 2:25 PM (#3476 - in reply to #3447)

Red
Go to:
On this Forum:
Sidecars For Sale
2001 Harley Davidson Sidecar, READ Text First
Depends where you at.
This might be the deal for you.

Posted 5/18/2004 7:27 PM (#3480 - in reply to #3430)

I saw that. No offense intended to River Rat, but I'm not sure about the cut mounting. I would also like to see a photo of the mounting side so I can see what's there and what's not. Other than questions about that, it looks in fine shape. Just don't like buying a pig in a poke.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software