Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize - Homer Simpson
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

California Sidecar Parts
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

mikeR
Posted 11/9/2011 2:03 PM (#61415 - in reply to #61413)
Subject: Re: California Sidecar Parts

Jay at DMC hooked my sidecar brake into the rear on my 1500 with a no-spill quick-connect (same treatment with the electrics) and it works beautifully; I hardly notice any pulling when braking ( with the foot pedal.) Recommend the same for your rig. Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tvking63
Posted 11/9/2011 2:25 PM (#61417 - in reply to #55459)

Since I'm a double amputee, I will have to tap into the brake lever. That will require a bigger master cylinder to move enough fluid to make it all work. But sourcing one from another bike shouldn't be a problem.
jaydmc
Posted 11/9/2011 2:39 PM (#61418 - in reply to #55459)

Expert

If you are using just the hand control you are not using both front brakes on the GL1500 this should not be a problem as long as you can still lock up the brakes. On some Harley's for double amputee owners we have plubmed the front brake to only work one front brake and left the other inoporational. This has worked fine. On the GL1500 we have used the Pingle shifter. It works fine. I have also made some wiring changes that allow the cruise control switch to work as the up down shift when cruise main power is off and when cruise main power is on they cruise works fine you just can not shift. Once you pull the clutch in the crisue control is shut off any ways so this should not be an issue. To do the shifter this way requires making an internal wiring change to the switch and adding 4 relays.
We are building a BMW R1200GS with our M72D sidecar on it right now for a double amputee that we are running the Pingle shifter, droping one front brake so that that master can work the 3 remaining brakes and are adding an electric reverse. We have done a fair amount of this kind of work if any one has any specific questions email me dirrect jay@dmcsidecars.com
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
SidecarMike
Posted 11/10/2011 12:52 AM (#61421 - in reply to #61418)

Expert

Thanks for your help Jay.

Mike

tvking63
Posted 11/10/2011 10:51 PM (#61432 - in reply to #61414)

Since I'm a amputee, pushing the pedal isn't an option so I will have to tie into the lever. I'll have to source a MC with a larger bore so that it moves enough fluid to make it all work.

dwitgoldwing
Posted 11/15/2011 8:31 AM (#61463 - in reply to #55459)
Subject: RE: California Sidecar Parts

Mike:
Thanks for starting this post on California Sidecar Parts a while back... I just brought home, (on 11-14-2011), a California Sidecar Friendship III
and am now enjoying this task of finding parts and cross references and stuff. My brake rotor is warped so I hope I can find a comparable rotor.
I plan on stocking up on brake parts since I keep my bikes, (and attachments), a long time.

Have you found anything yet on a brake rotor cross reference and other parts?
Thanks!!!

My winter project will be to get the sidecar frame and attachment parts back to almost like new, (a bit of rust on chrome parts).
I will also scuff, seal, prime, paint and pinstripe my sidecar to match my Pearl HotRod Yellow 1985 GL1200 LTD that I painted myself back in 2006. (14,000 original miles).
Can't wait to see the whole rig!!!

Best Wishes to all!!! What a great site for our sidecar addiction!!!

Don Wittbrodt, Winchester, KY

(Dons Goldwing RT side view.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dons Goldwing RT side view.jpg (370KB - 0 downloads)
Daryl Martel
Posted 11/15/2011 8:46 AM (#61464 - in reply to #55459)

Regular

Don aka dwitgoldwing -do you have mounts to fit your GL1200? I have a set for an 1100 that'll likely work fine on your 1200.
Boatzo
Posted 11/15/2011 8:47 AM (#61465 - in reply to #61463)

Regular

Wow, what a colour Don. Can't wait to see the completed, painted rig.
Best wishes,
dwitgoldwing
Posted 11/15/2011 9:06 AM (#61466 - in reply to #61464)

Yeah, I have mounts of some kind... I was told that my sidecar came off a Goldwing so I hope I can make some of it work on my 1200.
I will take pics tonight when I get home after work. I got back to my house at 3AM Monday after a 1240 mile trip to get the sidecar in Missouri, so I didn't get pics that day...
I did get the body off the frame last night and will start getting the frame/mechanics in good shape this week.

Thanks for the comment on the paint job... I spent 7 months sanding, stripping original graphics, designing new graphics, painting, building a matching trailer, and $2000 in PPG paint.
But I think the finished bike was worth it. Just imagine the full rig painted in that Pearl HotRod Yellow... It will be EYE-CATCHING!!!
I used House of Kolor Ice Gold Pearl instead of PPG pearl. The slightly larger flakes really accent the yellow!!!

I really appreciate your encouragement on this project... I'm not worried about the paint and fixing the rig.
My only concern is if I can find a rotor....
I hope I don't have to convert to a different brake system... I may change the whole hub/Caliper/brake system if need be,
just to have a readily available brake part setup.

Don W.
dwitgoldwing
Posted 11/15/2011 9:14 AM (#61467 - in reply to #61466)

Don't mean to sidetrack this post... I do want to find parts for my rig....
but, here's a pic of my bike with the trailer/graphics I did.
Don W.

(GL1200 collage pg 10.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GL1200 collage pg 10.jpg (271KB - 0 downloads)
jaydmc
Posted 11/15/2011 10:45 AM (#61471 - in reply to #55459)

Expert

GL 1000 and GL1100 mounts are usualy the same however some times the front lower has to be made a bit different if the bike has had floor boards added. GL1200 can use the same lower front and upper front but take a different upper rear and lower rear, California sidecar simply clamped to the crash bar for the upper rear, I feel this is not a good idea at all. The GL1500 takes a different mount and some companies have two different lower rear mounts for the GL1500 depending on if it has adjustable passenger floor boards. GL1800's take a different mount as well, this mount needs to be designed in such a way to not stress the alluminium frame which already has issues.
We have mounts for all GL Bikes except for the Valkyrie rune (we do have them for the GL1500 valkyrie)
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
SidecarMike
Posted 11/15/2011 10:47 AM (#61472 - in reply to #61467)

Expert

Welcome Don and thank you.  I started it because the company is less than helpful, even with simple things. 

It's been a long time, but Winchester used to be in my riding zone.  I lived in Lexington for about ten years.  I spent a lot of time around Mount Sterling and Winchester.

dwitgoldwing
Posted 11/15/2011 11:14 AM (#61475 - in reply to #61472)

I'll bet you miss this area, especially for riding... We have many great curvy roads to ride on.
The ride up to Natural Bridge, Slade, McKee and many others are nice rides.
I love Winchester, 'cuz of its proximity to Lexington, but I don't have to live in the big city.

I cut a decal on my vinyl cutter that says, "WINGchester, KY on it and put in on the back of my Goldwing trunk.

To stay a little on topic, I called CSC Parts and they do have tires and brake pads in stock, (not cheap, though).

They keep referring me to Jay at DMC so I am going to do business with him as much as possible.

Don W.
tvking63
Posted 11/15/2011 1:55 PM (#61477 - in reply to #61475)

dwitgoldwing - 11/15/2011 8:31 AM
My brake rotor is warped so I hope I can find a comparable rotor.

Jay didn't mention it but DMC can supply a brake rotor to fit the SCS Friendship series. I got mine from them. I'm not impressed with the finish of the rotor surface but it's a serviceable piece.
Daryl Martel
Posted 11/15/2011 1:55 PM (#61478 - in reply to #55459)

Regular

DMC is making the mounts for me for my 1500. Side Effects (Kamloops, BC) made my GL1100 mounts for me - they're very nicely done. I should post some pics of 'em. Not sure what I'm going to do with my GL1100 yet - our motorcycle insurance costs here are very high (maybe the highest in north america?) so I really can't afford to insure 2 bikes. I'm a little tempted to buy a 2nd sidecar (if I find the right deal), or maybe even trike it out. On the other hand, if someone needs a set of mounts for an 1000/1100/1200, for a very reasonable price I may sell 'em.
Daryl Martel
Posted 12/20/2011 11:49 PM (#62038 - in reply to #61478)

Regular

Well, I've made some progress re installing my Friendship II on my GL1500. Last weekend I trial fitted the frame, and confirmed that there was no way the short chassis was going to work as is - the distance between the front & back mounts is just too big. I pulled the tub off the frame and brought the frame into the house to prep it for welding the frame extension on. This was the first chance I really had to have a close look at the frame. No idea when my sidecar was manufactured, as the date is not stamped on the identiplate, but mine is S/N 102206. I've heard lots on the forums about how there was considerable variation in configuration during production, what with suspension design changes, etc., so I thought I'd post a few pics of my frame (excuse the dirt - haven't cleaned 'er yet, it's winter here). Note the swingarm has caliper mounts, but there's no rotor on the hub. I e-mailed CSC asking if they still had stock - am awaiting their reply, but from what I've heard here, they have exhausted their stock of spare parts - correct? Anyone know where I can get a hub/rotor assy and brake caliper? Pics are with frame extension parts freshly welded on. I found an aircraft repair certified TIG welder today who did a fantastic job. Talk about nice looking welds!

(IMG_1560.JPG)

(IMG_1562.JPG)

(IMG_1563.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1560.JPG (306KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1562.JPG (335KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1563.JPG (346KB - 3 downloads)
SidecarMike
Posted 12/21/2011 12:52 AM (#62039 - in reply to #62038)

Expert

Daryl Martel - 12/20/2011 10:49 PM Well, I've made some progress ... No idea when my sidecar was manufactured, as the date is not stamped on the identiplate, but mine is S/N 102206.

The previous owner bought mine new in 1996.  It is number 103016, not that that means anything.

Now that you have an extra hole in your frame, do like me.  Stick a pipe in there and build yourself a footrest.  Cool

Daryl Martel
Posted 12/21/2011 1:14 AM (#62040 - in reply to #55459)

Regular

Great idea Mike! I removed my RH engine guard entirely, so am lacking a highway peg on that side. You notice a difference on my frame? I noticed on your frame tabs are welded on and that the tub secures through holes in them... I'm assuming rubber spacers of some type fit between the tabs and sidecar body? On my frame, holes are drilled thru the tubes for the 4 bolts that secure the tub to the frame. I think my Friendship II frame is narrower overall too (makes sense - Friendship III is a 1 1/2 or double wide).
SidecarMike
Posted 12/21/2011 1:43 PM (#62048 - in reply to #62040)

Expert

Daryl Martel - 12/21/2011 12:14 AM Great idea Mike! I removed my RH engine guard entirely, so am lacking a highway peg on that side. You notice a difference on my frame? I noticed on your frame tabs are welded on and that the tub secures through holes in them... I'm assuming rubber spacers of some type fit between the tabs and sidecar body? On my frame, holes are drilled thru the tubes for the 4 bolts that secure the tub to the frame. I think my Friendship II frame is narrower overall too (makes sense - Friendship III is a 1 1/2 or double wide).

Perhaps, but CSC told me the FII and FIII share the same frame.  A little hard to measure with the body on, but mine appears to be about 29 inches wide.  Measured from outside to outside.

Daryl Martel
Posted 12/21/2011 6:53 PM (#62050 - in reply to #55459)

Regular

Hi Mike - measured my frame... 21.5" across (excluding of course where sidecar mounts attach), to the outside of the tubes.
Daryl Martel
Posted 12/22/2011 8:57 AM (#62060 - in reply to #55459)

Regular

I'd sent CSC an e-mail enquiring into the possibility of buying a wheel hub with brake rotor, and matching brake caliper. I knew it was a long shot, but thought I'd give it a try anyhow. Here's the response I received: "Unfortunately, we have nothing at all for sidecars anymore. What we had was destroyed in a fire about two years ago."

We all know they didn't make these parts themselves, so where did they source them from?
dwitgoldwing
Posted 12/22/2011 9:22 AM (#62061 - in reply to #62060)

I don't know where they sourced them from originally, but Jay at DMC sells rotors and pads, now. In fact that is who CSC refers me to when I call them. Jay sells the rotors for $90, (I think that was the price he gave me). My understanding is that the hub is a trailer hub and it just looks like they welded on an adapter for attachment of the rotor. I'm going to do a little research and see if a hub at Tractor Supply or a trailer sales place will be a good match for new hubs. I'm sorry that CSC had a fire, but product liability should be better than just no help at all... They still sell tires and pads but that's it.

Say, can you post a few really good pics of how your electric lean is attached? My Friendship III doesn't have the
Electric lean on it. I am going to make my own and order the actuator off eBay. It would be great if you could make a little drawing with dimensions, too. I want to get my FS III attached in the next few weeks, (if I ever get off 12 hour work days at Amazon...)
Thanks, Don W.
Daryl Martel
Posted 12/22/2011 9:51 AM (#62062 - in reply to #55459)

Regular

dwitgoldwing - sure, I can take a couple of closeup pics of the electric lean setup for you. The fellow I bought my Friendship II from had it installed on a HD UltraGlide. It was a crappy install... poorly made (heavy!) frame brackets, and the electric height adjust wasn't hooked up (I don't think he knew it had it) and it was at lowest adjustment. I functioned it to make sure it worked (it does) and set it for 25% extension for when I attach sidecar. The actuator has a 10 cm stroke BTW.

Regarding sourcing the brake hub/rotor & caliper from Jay at DMC, I did contact him already, and this is the reply I received: "We make a hub that will fit the axle and runs the same brake rotor as California sidecars did however I doubt that the off set for the brake rotor is the same and nor is the off set for the wheel, We have a couple of different bolt patterns for the wheel."

From this you can see he could set me up with something that could be made to work... was kind of hoping for direct bolt-on fit, no messing around.
SidecarMike
Posted 12/22/2011 11:13 AM (#62064 - in reply to #62061)

Expert

dwitgoldwing - 12/22/2011 8:22 AM...Say, can you post a few really good pics of how your electric lean is attached? My Friendship III doesn't have theElectric lean on it. I am going to make my own and order the actuator off eBay. It would be great if you could make a little drawing with dimensions, too. I want to get my FS III attached in the next few weeks, (if I ever get off 12 hour work days at Amazon...)Thanks, Don W.
Here are a few to start you off.

(100_2456.JPG)

(100_2458.JPG)

(100_2460.JPG)

(100_2459.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_2456.JPG (1339KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments 100_2458.JPG (1584KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments 100_2460.JPG (1548KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments 100_2459.JPG (1127KB - 5 downloads)
SidecarMike
Posted 12/22/2011 11:20 AM (#62066 - in reply to #55459)

Expert

Near the beginning of this thread is a wiring diagram for the elctric lift switch.  I just used a double throw momentary switch.  To make it easier, I mounted mine sideways so that if the bike pulls left I move the lever to the right and if it pulls right, I move to the left.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software