Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Dirt roads breed character
- (Added by: SCT100)

New Urals
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 5/20/2004 5:06 PM (#3520)
Subject: New Urals

Hi,

I have been told that the new 2004 Urals with the IMZ engines are a lot better than any previous year model. Is this true or just a bunch of ruski propoganda.?

Another person told me that they are still a POS.

Help
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 5/21/2004 1:48 PM (#3534 - in reply to #3520)
Subject: RE: New Urals

Well, What is or isn't a POS is sometimes very "subjective." You know, are they comparing a $9,000 new Ural with Sidecar to a $25,000 fully outfitted BMW R1200CL with custom sidecar?? As long as you compare Apples to Apples they will get high marks.
The new Urals are very impressive compared to those of a few years ago and even when compared to last year's model. They've made huge strides in fit and finish and most of all reliability. On the new 04 models they have finally done away with perhaps their weakest link which was the 35 AMP Russian Alternator in favor of a smoother new Nippondenso unit. The only thing that can hamper enjoyment of a new Ural is having the Keihin CVK carbs jetted properly for "real" driving. They are a bit too lean as delivered from Russia in order to pass stringent EPA/emissions tests. The only complaints I can see from now would be from new owners and/or dealers that don't know they should adjust these carbs once on the street in the "real world." The new bikes are very nice and I challenge anyone to beat that bargain price for a new warrantied sidecar rig.

My thoughts. Mike Weaver
"WEAV"
Read anything you ever wanted to know about Russian motorcycles in my book highlighted at www.molotovmotors.com

Posted 5/26/2004 9:32 PM (#3606 - in reply to #3520)

I had a good look and listen to a new 2004 Ural Retro the other night. Mike knows what he's talking about; the new Urals are fine machines and well worth considering for someone who's looking for a factory new rig with a two-year unlimited milage warrentee. And there's nothing else out there like their two wheel drive Patrol and Gear-Up models.

Jim
abruti
Posted 5/27/2004 10:15 AM (#3616 - in reply to #3520)

New User

What about parts availability ? Is it one of those deals where one has to wait for the next container to arrive by ship from the port of Murmansk ? or re parts easy to get in a "reasonable" time ?

The Tourist is a good deal for the price.

Posted 5/27/2004 4:15 PM (#3620 - in reply to #3520)

The only part I'm aware of that folks are having to wait for is the new Nippendenso alternator. It's Ural's latest improvement, and there's a lot of demand from riders who want to upgrade. I imagine that particular shortage will sort itself out pretty quick.

Ural has it easy in that there are very few models they need to stock parts for, those models typically vary only in style (paint, seat), perhaps front forks, and in the case of their two wheel drive models, the final drive.

While this is a slight oversimplification, there is essentially only one engine (750 OHV), one older model engine (650 OHV), one transmission, two final drives, etc., etc. Parts supplies should be quite good, and the IMZ factory is very serious about supporting the U.S. and Western European markets. They have a very good web site, and an outstanding discussion forum. Check them out at: http://www.imz-ural.com/

The folks on the discussion board are not afraid to tell it straight.

Jim
Sarge
Posted 5/30/2004 8:05 AM (#3652 - in reply to #3520)

Veteran

I purchased a 2004 Ural Retro rig and took delivery 4/24. I then proceeded a few days later, to have an argument with a sign post - 100% my fault. Took out the left crash bar and header pipe and cracked the left head where it meets the valve cover. I called my dealer and, SIX DAYS LATER, the parts were on my doorstep. Brad called IMWA and they drop-shipped them directly to me. Unfortunately, Brad ordered the wrong header pipe. Another call to IMWA and the correct one was in my hands, again six days later. My experience with parts availability... OUTSTANDING. And, Ural parts are CHEAP. That head, with valves installed, was a whopping $147. As another dealer friend said, "You'll pay more for a head for your Briggs & Stratton mower!"

Like Royal Enfield (I have one of those, too.), Ural must live down the bad rap their early offerings created. Some of the old problems came from poor factory work. Some came from the old importer. The new importer, Irbit Motor Works of America, is working its butt off to provide a quality product and, most importantly, the people there LISTEN to what their customers are saying. A grumble that comes up on the Ural discussion group board can be seen as an improvement in the bikes a few months later. Try that with BMW, Harley or Honda!

Bottom line... A 2004 Ural (or Royal Enfield) is a quantum leap over what has proceeded it.

Sarge
abruti
Posted 5/30/2004 7:02 PM (#3657 - in reply to #3520)

New User

These are great news. I mentioned the parts availability because my experience with european made motorcycles has NOT been good overall.

KTM being the WORST. Never buy one. I raced them in the late 90's. Rode them as DS and Supermotard in ealy 00's up until last year (when dealer told me clutch might be a few months before he can get it for my LC4, I gave up on the brand). I had a 98 Triumph Tiger and it took 2 months to get a replacement exhaust shield and never got a replacement oil drain plug). Ducati can be a little better but I remember waiting a long time for parts for my 94 900SS. BMW, I can't tell, never owned one.

Japanese bikes are a much better. Honda is the best. The worst is Suzuki.

Harley seems OK sofar. I seem to be able to get parts for my 03 Sportster in a reasonable time. That's the one I have hooked to a Velorex 562. Can be seen on Bob Wark's website.

So it sounds like Ural is doing a great job. Wish there were more dealers around. I live in CT and no dealers to be found in CT, MA, NH, VT. I found one in NY but is a good 90 minutes away and it is an Acura dealer that started an URAL dealership.....??????.

I would'nt mind getting one. I really like the look and they seem quite rugged. Could probably ride it in the winter here in CT.

Good news indeed.

Phil
Sarge
Posted 5/30/2004 11:19 PM (#3659 - in reply to #3520)

Veteran

Your nearest dealer is 90 minutes away? Mine is 4+ hours away and the dealer I actually bought the rig from is 8 hours.

One of Ural's programs addresses those who are too far from their dealership to get easy access. IMWA will cover warranty work at a competent local MC dealership who will work on the bike in lieu of a Ural dealer. I am just starting into this process myself, so I will be learning.

Sarge

Posted 6/1/2004 4:00 PM (#3680 - in reply to #3520)

Check out the Gear Up trailer:
http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies.htm
)

Posted 6/9/2004 10:23 PM (#3773 - in reply to #3652)

I'm interested in a 2004 Ural retro. I have read on there site that they are in limited supply. Am I going to be able to find one? DO you know why they are limiting the retro? Any further input on what to expect from the ride and performance of a 2004 Ural. thanks
Eric
Hack'n
Posted 6/10/2004 2:17 PM (#3783 - in reply to #3773)

Expert

Eric,
Go straight to the horses mouth. Call Irbit MotorWorks of America at 425-702-8484 or fax them at 425-696-0834.

Lonnie

Posted 6/11/2004 2:36 AM (#3788 - in reply to #3616)

I have a 650 but parts have been shipped within 48 hours when I needed them in the past. They used to let you buy from the distributor but now you must go thorugh a dealer. If they are dropped shipped to you I expect they should be out the door in almost the same time give the dealer a day's delay if they need to go to the factor and they should be on route in72 hours. I suggest you shop around for shipping and prices unless you have a realationship with a dealer or there is one close by.
Sarge
Posted 6/20/2004 7:54 AM (#3843 - in reply to #3773)

Veteran

Originally written by Eric on 6/9/2004 10:23 PM
I'm interested in a 2004 Ural retro. I have read on there site that they are in limited supply. Am I going to be able to find one? DO you know why they are limiting the retro? Any further input on what to expect from the ride and performance of a 2004 Ural. thanks
Eric

Eric,

Ural is not "limiting" the Retro. Demand is outstripping supply. It is my understanding that, unlike their other "assembly line" bikes, the Retro and Wolf models are hand-built and hand-building takes time. Additionally, the company's overall shipping rate may be down as the UN put in a mega-order for Gear-Up's to be used in Iraq. That could effect the Retro, too, because of the demand for motors and tranny's to fill the UN order.

I now have over 1100 km on Boris and am smiling every mile. It is beginning to show the fruits of careful break-in, running better and shifting smoother. Still has a good ways to go, but we're getting there!

Sarge

Sarge
Posted 6/20/2004 8:02 AM (#3844 - in reply to #3788)

Veteran

Doug,

Finally a face to go with the name! How long do you think till they start asking what Tir na nOg is?

Sarge

Posted 6/20/2004 11:14 AM (#3846 - in reply to #3844)

If you don't brush the bugs off your teeth I'll recognize you from your picture too.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software