Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

best road tires for a rig
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

cozzi007
Posted 1/19/2011 9:13 PM (#55651)
Subject: best road tires for a rig

I have a triumph bonneville t100 atttached to a cozy sidecar, I am looking for a set a good set of tires with maximum road surface area. i don't plan on removing the sidecar, this is my main rig.
the front is 19 3.5 the rear is 17 2.5 and the sidecar tire is 19 3.5
I was looking at dual sport tires but Im sure you guys have some suggestions.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
maxm
Posted 1/19/2011 9:54 PM (#55654 - in reply to #55651)
Subject: Re: best road tires for a rig

Metzler makes a 880 that is supposed to be good in a street tread, the Royal Enfield site and catalog have 19 ' sidecar tires listed. Also on their sidecar site I believe. I know I've seen them in the catalog. Seems like low rolling resistance would be good for the car if it has no brake capability. I'll have to look hard as my cozy has a 16" on it.
Hack'n
Posted 1/19/2011 11:35 PM (#55656 - in reply to #55651)

Expert

Avon and Michelin make sidecar block tires. I think the only available sizes are 18' and 19". These tires have a long tread life.

Lonnie
cozzi007
Posted 1/20/2011 9:06 AM (#55660 - in reply to #55656)

Thanks lonnie, what I want is to get compatible tires for my triumph so all three are the same if possible. more surface on the flat like the sidecar tires and on the bike. the bonneville has 2.5x17 rear and 3.5x19 front.
later

bill
The flagman
Posted 2/2/2011 11:09 PM (#55936 - in reply to #55651)

Well I promised sometime ago to report back on my Formosa car tire (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&Cookie=nextag_Federal&details=Ordern&typ=R-139954&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1 )on my Gl1500 Goldwing Hack.
Before leaving on an 8000 mile trip last summer I put the Formosa on and added a Steerite tripple tree to the rig. (http://www.sidecars.ca/steerite.htm)
I now have over 14000 miles on the rig with every type of riding imaginable.
The Formosa is showing very little sign of any where.
The steerite tripple tree was like adding power steering and for only 700.00, I would highly recomend it to anyone riding a hack.
The formosa tire, 70.00 sticks to the road like glue even in wet conditions, I would not even consider going back to a motorcycle tire. From 80+mph on the superslab to the logging type roads we went on out west the tires performance was superb. I am expecting to get a minimum of 30,000 miles out of it.
rodder
Posted 4/24/2016 2:39 PM (#88808 - in reply to #55651)

old yes i seen but i will be hacking my 2012 bonnie with mag wheels 17 X 3 up front + 17 X 3.5 out back, looking for best dollar value in tyres without using car tyres. i was thinking dual sport highway orientated, no knobby stuff. also seen Avon roadriders a mid priced bias tyre with lots of fitments as well as a 16" for the hack. read last night that the pirelli scorpion trail II was top rated, they are radials geared to heavily loaded BMW adventure bikes + are of course a little more $$$. my bonnie is 500 lb wet + the empty car is 200 lb. i am 160 lb + girlfriend + dog together prolly another 160 lb, if she chooses to ride after i get comfortable-safe riding myself. suggestions appreciated especially with first hand experience
trikebldr
Posted 4/24/2016 3:49 PM (#88811 - in reply to #88808)

Veteran

Here's my first-hand experience with the difference between radials and bias tires, but not between any specific brands. On this and other forums, the issue between bias and radials has been batted around ad-nauseum. My relatively new rig of a Kawasaki Voyager 1300 (very heavy bike!!) and a Vetter Terraplane, had radials on it when I bought it. The sidecar had the original Carlisle Arrow tire, which was a very popular bias hack tire back in the late '70's and '80's. My initial impression of the overall handling in cornering is that the bike had some steering input delay. That's pretty typical of radials on a sidecar rig. Solo bikes don't seem to suffer so much from that, but there are some exceptions, like my top-heavy Voyager!
I swapped out my sidecar's tire for a new Dunlop Elite 3 bias, and also swapped the old Dunlop Elite 2 radial on the front of the bike for the same Dunlop Elite 3 bias as on the sidecar. On the rear of the bike I installed a Dunlop Graspic DS 3 All Season car tire. It is a radial, but it's hard to find a car tire that isn't! It has a very flat tread when mounted and inflated and my reason for choosing it was the design of the sipes for dissipating rain since it is an all-season tread pattern.
I can't comment yet about tread wear mileage since I only have about 1500 miles total on the three new tires, but the improvement in steering response is quite noticeable and I like it. From other forum conversations I attribute most of the improvement to the front tire going from a radial to a bias. For a sidecar rig, radials are just too "squirmy" and the sidewall has to flex to it's limits before they will apply steering inputs. On a solo bike this isn't so important since there is much less side loading on their tires.
I have two Voyager 1300's and one is a solo bike. It has bias tires front and rear and it handles so much better (read as quicker!) than my hack'd Voyager did on radials before the car was mounted.
It seems that each forum has it's overall favorite brands and models of tires. I see Avon, Metzlers and Michelins mentioned here a lot, and on another touring forum I am on, the Dunlop Elite 3's are king, especially for the bigger, heavier bikes.
My best advice from experience is to go with bias tires on a hack rig no matter what brand or model.
BTW, I do recommend the Dunlop Graspic rear tire, but you may have trouble buying just one! Tire Rack would not sell me just one because Dunlop specifies them to be used on all fours on a car, and Tire Rack also will not sell a car tire for motorcycle use. I had to tell them it was for a 'car and I had to buy two of them. But, that wasn't so bad at $65/each.

Edited by trikebldr 4/24/2016 3:59 PM
Lloyd
Posted 4/24/2016 5:53 PM (#88813 - in reply to #55651)

Veteran

I have a Ural rig with 19X4 tires on all 3 wheels, and have been looking at tires. There are a couple of "normal" tires that would fit, and seem to last longer that the Duro 308 tires on it now, but I have been warned by some on one of the Ural forums that they do not have enough weight capacity for the Ural. Besides fitting you need to be sure they have enough load rating. Good luck with your search.
rodder
Posted 4/27/2016 8:55 PM (#88857 - in reply to #55651)

the new heidenau K-60 scout 50-50 tyres are getting rave reviews! just for the record the T-100 uses a 2.5" rim in front + 3.5" on the rear if in OE configuration. on my soon to be hacked 2012 bonnie with 17" cast alloy wheels i am upsizing fitments with bias avon roadriders within the rims correct mounting sizing. generally a size bigger bias tyre will correctly fit where the OE radials were. hoping to get a matching fitment on the 16" sidecar wire wheel that has an 10 year old 350-16 on it

Edited by rodder 4/27/2016 8:56 PM
rodder
Posted 5/10/2016 6:52 PM (#89084 - in reply to #55651)

i opted for the avon road riders lots of sizes @ decent $$, for the chair a motorvation spyder i put a metzler block C 350-16 on same as original. clearance to the fender that matched the former owners 2003 T-100 was minimal for sure. slowly getting ready to mount the car after a little cleaning of the wire wheels, overall the spyder was in great condition.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software