Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. >Friedrich Nietzsche <
- (Added by: RumpStun)

BMW Airhead Subframes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 5/22/2004 12:10 PM (#3542)
Subject: BMW Airhead Subframes

Greetings All:

I'm planning my second BMW Airhead with Ural sidecar project, and I'm looking for a suitable heavy-duty subframe to attach the bike frame and sidecar. My first rig has a Lowell Neff subframe, which is very strong, compact, fits close to the BMW frame, permits the retention of the centerstand, and allows for the easy removal of the oil filter cover for service. It's nearly perfect, and while I'm very happy with it, unfortunately Lowell seems to no longer be in business.

I know there are several one-size-fits-all subframes, but I'm looking for something a bit more thoughfully engineered and specifically for the BMW/Ural combination. I take my rigs camping, and my sons and I travel some very rough roads. The multi-adjustable fittings just don't seem to be robust enough to take the torsional loads, and a few of them hang quite low and would likly be struck by one of the many boulders on some of the rougher trails.

In summary, if anybody can recommend a well designed and constructed, very heavy-duty BMW Airhead to Ural subframe, that maintains the ground clearance I need and the servicability I like, I'd sure be grateful.

Best Regards,

Jim Lowe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JayDauntless
Posted 5/22/2004 1:40 PM (#3543 - in reply to #3542)
Subject: RE: BMW Airhead Subframes

Extreme Veteran

Lowell Neff is still in buisness but due to health reasons has closed for a couple of months while recovering from some kind of medical procedure. This is what he told me and I did not pry for more information.
If you email me at jay@dauntlessmotors.com I would be glad to forward your email to Lowell.
We also make sub frames for many of the BMW air heads. They are bike specific and provide you with all 4 mounting points. I would need to know the year and model of the bike to let you know if we have a kit. For the /6 and /7 we have two different kits one Ural specific and the second a bit stronger that requires you to modify the front lower mount on the Ural sidecar. Our mounting kits are strong. We had an R100S ridden over a trailer and rolled. It did not knock the sidecar out of alignment. We also have had a /7 riden to the Artic ocean and back (900 miles of gravel) with out problems.
We are a Ural sidecar dealer. We usualy keep about 5 or 6 new Ural sidecars on hand.
We have a set of clamps for some of the air heads that move the stock forks forward by 2 1/2 inches allowing for very light steering and we build leading links for others. We will be a vendor at the BMW national this year and I will be conducting a sidecar seminar.
Our stuff can be seen at www.dauntlessmotors.com We also have an off road section where you can see some of the stuff we have built for going off road.
As of late we have been building quite a few dual sport rigs using newer BMW's We just finished an F650 with a Sputnik sidecar that will be on our web site in a few days and are working on another R1150GS right now.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporatin
www.dauntlessmotors.com

Posted 5/22/2004 3:47 PM (#3544 - in reply to #3542)

Jay:

Thank you for the reply, and for the information about your products. I will email you off line, and would appreciate if you could send it on to Lowell. I'm sorry to hear he's been ill, but hopefully he's on the mend and will be back home soon.

Jim
Dr. Raoul Duke
Posted 5/22/2004 10:13 PM (#3545 - in reply to #3544)

Regular

Him Jim:

I have one of Jay's subframes on my R90/6 Ural combo and couldn't be happier. Jay shipped it directly to my BMW dealer who installed it and the service manager was equally impressed by the quality and ease in installation. Good luck with your project!

Regards,
"Dr. Raoul Duke"
AKA Jim Kelleher
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software